Store Your Gun in Your Vehicle

Some of us are lucky enough to work for an employer that encourages its employees to carry for our self-defense. Others work in an office where the policy is don’t ask don’t tell. And some individuals, unfortunately, have to unarm when they go to work.

If you need to unarm, either for work or for a run into the post office, how do you secure your firearm in your vehicle? Do you use a small safe? if so, what safe do you recommend?

3 Likes

These have been good for me. Bought 4 keyed alike. Cheap, well built, work well, and are CA compliant.

6 Likes

Good question and I agree with @Glock27ccw because I have something similar it’s called a Snapsafe and it comes with the cable to tie it and put under the seat.

4 Likes

Liberty Safe HD-50 key vault is what I have. It comes with a cable I attached to the hinge in the trunk— $19 from the local Liberty Safe dealer and fits either the S&W Centennial or The Government Model. Satisfies the State requirement for CA

2 Likes

I used to use a small box and cable that fits under my seat but frankly I was told I look extremely suspicious fumbling around in my seat. So I moved to a much more convenient solution for me…a console vault.

https://www.consolevault.com/console-vault.html

and the nice thing about it is that it does fulfill the lock requirements even in my anti-gun state and it’s far easier to get my firearm off me and secured without fumbling.

3 Likes

I have these as well and agree they work great

2 Likes

Just curious. Ideally yes, you want a safe. What exactly is the law in this regard? I suppose it varies from state to state. Let’s say a handgun is in your car but out of view. It is NOT in a safe, but your car is locked. Somebody breaks in, steals the gun, and commits a crime with it. Are you liabel for not securing it in a safe if the car was still locked?

3 Likes

If you have that type of prosecutor, absolutely they can try. You are absolutely responsible for your firearm.
Recently a California member lost his CC Permit because he had his firearm stolen from his locked vehicle on his own property. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yes, different laws for cars, than for example, breaking into your home where a safe is not actually required if you don’t have or expect to have kids in the house.

2 Likes

We are retired, but we have one of these in our SUV.

4 Likes

I would be interested to hear thoughts on the idea of a trigger lock for the unexpected need to disarm / secure a firearm. Though to be avoided, I can imagine the situation arising where you might have to store the firearm in a vehicle not your own, or that does not have a safe available. Or, say, if a transport from a breakdown came with an unexpected stop or stay over that required temporarily securing your carry gun. The other question would be, what of the gun that is out of sight and locked to the vehicle structure, like the cable guns safes are, but that was not encased in a surround type “safe”. My example here would be a rifle that is locked through the action by a cable or chain to the vehicle. Again out of sight.

I like the convenience of a console safe, I just don’t like the idea of an obvious gun safe so readily visible. It would seem more secure, but it almost feels like advertising that a gun might be there.

2 Likes

RPNB Gun Safe, Smart Pistol Safe w/5-Digit PIN Keypad Handgun Security Safe with LED & RFID Quick Access, Measures 14.5" x 9.1" x 3.5", Anchoring on Floor, Wall or Closet. One is cabled to my under seat of my vehicle and the other is bolted up in the house.

2 Likes

Car break ins have become a common everyday occurrence nowadays. I would not leave my gun in my car at any time. I would be scared that I would get cited or charged with failure to safeguard my firearm. My gut would tell me not to leave it in the car even out of view. Maybe other states would consider that secure being in a locked vehicle.

3 Likes

I have a small Hornady safe in my car that has a cable wrapped around the brace securing the seat to the car. I can also pull it out if I am travelling and secure items at a hotel or when visiting someone’s home.

4 Likes

You are right @Kevin1776, it depends on state law. There have been many firearms stolen from unlocked vehicles in Louisville. While locking the car and securing firearms is recommended in Kentucky, there are no laws requiring it. Presumably, someone could file a lawsuit against someone whose firearm was stolen claiming negligence, however, criminal acts of others are typically considered superseding/intervening causes which are excluded as a proximate cause. In lay terms, while negligence is foreseeable, the criminal acts of others are not considered foreseeable.

6 Likes

For Jeep enthusiasts:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/gun-carriers-for-jeep-wranglers.html

1 Like

I have had a good experience using tuffyproducts.com/. In my vehicles.

2 Likes

If my guns arent locked, they are on me. But, I have used a lot of different things. First, in my F250, I have a console vault. Why? Cause sometimes if you go in certain places like the post office, cause sometimes you need USPS money orders for those gunbroker purchases, you need to take the gun off. The Console Vault I upgraded to the 3 digit lock so if my gun is in the console and I need it, I dont need the keys that are in my ignition or pocket. My big reason for the lock too is by young boys. I dont need them looking around in the truck for a snack or toy and find a handgun in the console. So, I can fully recommend Consule Vault. Also, at work, I am able to carry. But as we all know, sometimes we need to take our guns off for whatever reason. Maybe I need to get out of my office and climb around on a truck or check out a piece of equipment. There, I have the same safe that @Glock27ccw referenced. I have it in my desk drawer, which I will lock as well and I can lock my office door too. I have the cable bolted to the back of the desk.

And yes, I cleaned out my desk drawer. You guys aren’t interested in my work stuff.

5 Likes

I’ve been using this little safe for in the vehicles. Just secure the cable around something secure and lock the safe. The Glock Store offers two sizes. It has a solid/weighty feel to it. Been really happy with it for several months.

2 Likes

I use the same thing. They are sturdy and work well.

1 Like