Leaving firearms in cars

We have gun safes in our cars and don’t have any stickers to show we might have a gun left in our cars. Some places we go you are not aloud to carry and we think no gun zones are where people are looking for guns in cars.

4 Likes

Cheap shot, Matt. More like returning to America.

3 Likes

Another example of giving it but being unable to take it. I rest my case.

2 Likes

You can’t have a gun in your car in a post office parking lot.

Why I never go to the post office.

5 Likes

Robert_G, I agree 100% with that train of thought you’ve mentioned about bad people take advantage of these places with No Firearm signs.

4 Likes

Correct, that’s why I park across the street. I go to the post office once a year on average.

4 Likes

Would you mind linking what you bought?

2 Likes

Here is the link to the one I installed

https://www.consolevault.com/ford-f150-full-floor-console-2021-current.html#.YYBZ9y-cbOQ

Another company named Lock’er Down manufactures them also.

3 Likes

I remember the Virginia Tech mass shooting some years back…3 students had been through training, qualified, ccw but had to leave their guns locked in their cars during school…as a result many students died at that school by a criminal who went on a shooting spree…
But we can’t forget, the left has been going after only law abiding citizens and they continue to gut our now laughable criminal justice system. Spend some time on the ATF website (after wading through a bunch of other stuff) and research the thousands of gun laws already on record. On bump stocks alone I lost count. Only law abiding citizens go to the trouble of firearms classes, getting their certificates, marching dutifully to the sheriff’s office to get finger printed, photographed and fill out a zillion questions all of which gets forwarded to the CBI…Colorado bureau, in my state. They know full well criminals don’t bother…but now they have YOU right where they can find you…this is all any of this “certification” has really ever been about. P.S. surprisingly, even with a democrat governor, we are “allowed” to carry concealed firearms in our vehicles…but the left is dutifully trying to gut our Second Amendment. It’s all connected.

3 Likes

I fully agree with what I’ve read. I feel a good safe is a must, and don’t advertise. Also, if you’re going to have to lock your gun, if possible do it before you get to your destination so someone watching won’t be tipped off. Finally, remove and take the magazines with you.

1 Like

Robert1025, A problem with taking the magazines with you, especially filled with ammunition is that to they can be considered a possible weapon, the powder is an explosive.

2 Likes

Nice, unfortunately none of my vehicles are listed for the vault. However the 2022 Bronco (don’t know about the Bronco Sport or F150) does have an optional Console Vault from the factory. Guess the box and cable will need to suffice for now.

1 Like

In my area outside of Raleigh, NC, the Sheriff recently reported that most of the guns stolen from vehicles were from unlocked vehicles. Makes you wonder about people.

8 Likes

My under the seat safe came with one cable but had attaching points on both sides . I ordered a spare cable and have i placed so that only one cable is easily seen . If they get past that they are still going nowhere and may just leave because it’s taking too long . Also the key is one of those " bump and hole " types which is very hard to pick .
Chris

4 Likes

Yes, most of the laws prohibiting firearms state no firearms, their parts, including barrels, magazines, and ammunition. I had offered a suggestion to someone in another thread last year of removing the slide and storing that separately from the rest of the firearm, as I would imagine a thief would not take the frame without the rest of the firearm or the barrel without the frame. I would assume a thief would not take the time to thoroughly search the vehicle, but as I am not a thief, I could well be mistaken.

2 Likes

CNN —
Citizens can legally carry firearms in post office parking lots, a federal judge has ruled. https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office/index.html

Or can you? The CNN article was from 2013. I thought you could leave your gun in the parking lot at the post office. Now, I am not so sure.

I use an alternative for the post office anyway, they can do all but postal money orders.

4 Likes

As of July 2015, this prohibition once again includes post office parking lots. In a 2 – 1 vote, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that a U.S. Postal Service regulation banning firearms on postal property is constitutional, which reversed a lower court ruling from July of 2013 that would have let people keep weapons inside their vehicles in post office parking lots.

No guns in USPS Parking lots, period.

8 Likes

@Frank73, thank you for doing the research to address this issue.

3 Likes

Parking lots are generally no man land, Allowed to relocate weapons and leave in vehicles if not permitted in a building/venue. The only place a parking lot is not gun friendly is a nuclear facility. I have the misfortune to be living in Illinois. The above rule is general and specific to this swamp.

1 Like

Or a particle accelerator parking lot. :grinning:

3 Likes