Carrying To/From Work

I work in a Substance Abuse Rehab and our policy prohibits us from carrying at work, however, our policy is also prohibiting us from possession in our vehicles as well. I still carry to/from work and leave the weapon in my car being very discreet about holstering/unholstering and putting the gun in my glove box before/after work. Sometimes I do not leave straight for work or come straight home so I carry it anyway. The law says in my state that if an employer prohibits it on the property I cannot have it. However, I leave work at 11pm and would rather chance losing my job than finding myself in a position where I need my weapon and do not have it. Does anyone experience the same situation, and if so, how do you deal with it? Looking for some insight here. Thanks

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, you’ll find a lot of sound legal advice here. That being said can’t really encourage you to break the law. I completely understand the dilemma and it sou is like you are very aware of the consequences. Stay discreet and keep checking local laws. In Arkansas they finally made it legal to have it in your car even if the employer doesn’t want it on the property.

4 Likes

I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Always.! :wink:
Whoops, @Sheepdog556 I meant to reply to @Donald76.

1 Like

I’m hoping my state changes that law. I am very discreet and stay very aware of my surroundings. I take it very seriously and know the consequences of my actions. I even park in a spot very close to the back entrance so I can make it to my car very quickly. I only do what I do because my life is my priority.

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I try to be a good boy, but I am not perfect. Neither is the world. Such is life.

3 Likes

If parking off property is an option that may be an alternative to look into.

If your glove box locks that great if not I highly recommend getting a lock box just to secure the firearm while you’re away

5 Likes

We were told at our Post Office we could no longer have a gun in the car on federal property, so to get around this, I started parking on the street just beyond the parking lot, where it wasn’t postal property. It was only +/- 30’ but enough. Also, welcome to the community…

5 Likes

Campaign with your state representative to change the law.

4 Likes

My first question is whether by bringing it on to the property against your employers policy is a crime (like post office property) or just punishable by the employer. If the former, you really should consider not brining it on the property and parking on the street. If it is just a disciplinary issue, you seem to understand the consequences and are ok with them.
I agree with others and would contact your legislators to get the law changed.

4 Likes

My sixth grade teacher once told me to do what I thought was right as long as I was willing to accept the consequences for my decision.

4 Likes

I can’t address your legalities. I can say most of the lockboxes on the market today are far more secure in protecting your property than most any glovebox. I’d highly recommend something along those lines which give you rapid access to your protection without risking the weapon becoming a tool for a ner’dowell.

3 Likes

Unfortunately there is no off premise parking. The way it is situated, it just isn’t possible.

2 Likes

My whole thing is this, coming to and from work I would have to travel unprotected. I’m not so much worried about something happening on my work grounds, but I don’t always go straight home. I also don’t always leave my house and go straight to work. So I would rather take the chance of getting “caught” possessing my weapon and risk getting fired, than be in a situation where I need my weapon to or from work and not having it. The whole point of carrying is to have it wherever I need it, as long as it is legal. I would never carry somewhere where it is illegal to carry. It is just my company policy and therefore not legally punishable, only my job’s policy. I think it should be illegal for a company to prohibit a legal carrier from possessing a weapon in there vehicle on the premises. To me that is a violation of my 2nd Amendment right. That is why I still take it and am mindful of the consequences. If I need my weapon coming to or from work and I do not have it, then I’d be dead. Losing my job is less of a problem to me than losing my life. Therefore, I violate policy in light of that assessment of things. I was just wondering if others dealt with this same issue and what they do. Also how they view this. That’s my reasoning for this post.

3 Likes

I agree with your decision. Company policy should not but you in danger.`

2 Likes

If no one at your work knows about it and you’re being discreet. Then I wouldn’t stress. Everyone breaks company policy on some level daily.

3 Likes

Your priorities may have just answered your own question

3 Likes

Welcome to our one big happy family brother, God bless you.

1 Like

+1 on a good, secure box anchored to your vehicle. You do NOqT want someone breaking into a flimsy glove box and stealing your weapon.

3 Likes

This thread may be helpful if you lock your gun in your car where you can legally have it in your car:

I’m with @MikeBKY on this one:

Either way - it may be time to look for a different employer?

3 Likes

Ditto. If they are concerned with their insurance premiums or public relations more than your personal safety, they’ve already given you the finger. Your life isn’t important enough to them. Find an employer who values you.

3 Likes