Refresh my memory

What is considered acceptable firearm security in a vehicle when the ccw holder is leaving the firearm in the vehicle and there is no firearm safe or lockbox thanks

1 Like

Good question. I am looking to add some type of ‘safe’ to the inside of my car.

“Acceptable security” will be interesting as everyone has a different take on it I suspect.

1 Like

@Fred_G glad I’m not alone in this I guess if it comes down to it ill get a car safe I guess that’s ideal but wondering what everyone’s take is on this topic also

It depends on state law. It varies.

1 Like

@TexasEskimo is it addressed in the uscca reciprocity?

1 Like

If you decide to do this the best place is under the front passenger seat because if they break into the car they go into the glove compartment and check the center console. The chances are good they just want to be quick and get out of there. I would not leave a gun in the vehicle unless its secured.

3 Likes

@Johnnyq60 what’s your take on the legal end of it?..no worries I understand it’s my responsibility just curious

2 Likes

I am not a lawyer but if your car happens to get stolen and the thief searches deeper and finds the firearm then he commits several robberies with it while he is in possession of it there can be some questions that have to be answered if the gun gets traced by to you if the guy gets captured. I mean once you discover your car missing you will call the police and have to inform them your firearm was under the front passenger seat. Best case scenario the thief dumps the car the police find it and your gun gets recovered by the police. the [police can give you a hard time for failure to properly safeguard your firearm.

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 true but couldn’t the same scenario play out if you have it in a gun safe in the car? I mean they could find a way to break the safe and have the gun.

4 Likes

@Johnnyq60 I guess those are the dilemmas that come with the responsibility

2 Likes

That is true but you said there was no safe involved. I answered the question with the details I had. Then with that scenario its possible you might skate on the failure to safeguard but the gun can still be used in criminal activity and if he does not get captured the guns still out there on the streets.

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 you got me on that one. Thanks for keeping things in context

2 Likes

We are here to learn from each other and that was a legitimate question and a scenario like what you mentioned can happen and thanks for keeping me on my toes brother.

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 your experience as a detective is very valuable for someone like me…but that’s what I enjoy also…the diversity of the input with the uscca.

3 Likes

@Johnnyq60 nice to get to know you…thank you for your service. law enforcement is getting problems they don’t deserve these days…it’s a pretty sad time for our country but there’s encouraging support with our uscca family.

3 Likes

I’m in agreement with @Johnnyq60 (I’m also not a lawyer), but I don’t know if there is an “acceptable firearm security” that doesn’t includes some time of lock box that you can secure to your vehicle frame with a steel cable.

I would think that any anti-2A prosecutor would go on and on at trial about how “irresponsible” an individual who leaves their gun in their car without it specifically be locked up (again not an attorney just guessing).

I guess my question is why wouldn’t you at a min purchase a small gun lock box…I believe you can get them at a sporting goods shop for around $40. No, it’s not a Liberty safe but maybe enough of a deterrent for a quick snatch and grab thief to move on to my stereo or loose change and provides you with a defense of “being responsible” by making sure the gun specifically was locked/secured. All for the cost of a couple boxes of ammo.

My two cents.

2 Likes

This is the same type I keep in my closet.:+1::+1:

1 Like

@JamesR yup I’m with 100%. actually I have that safe for home use just a matter of buying one for the car guess I was phishing?..lol looking for opinions and I agree about the prosecutors

1 Like

Isn’t a locked car ‘secured’. Of course, would depend on the state laws. Home gun safes are not that hard to break into…

1 Like

You are correct 100 percent