How Heavy is Heavy

Well, part of the weight is all those lead or copper bullets. You could have those replaced with something lighter, but functionality might be affected.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that those colored cartridges they call “dummy rounds” are a lot lighter than the plain metal ones. Seems like you’d have to be a dummy to not use them, eh?
:astonished:

2 Likes

26 oz heavy? Depends on how you define heavy I guess. I have pistols that when fully loaded range from 12- 50 oz not including a holster. So 26+ oz would be an average weight for my collection. Do I want to lug around 26+ oz’s all day, not particularly, but it certainly isn’t back breaking. I prefer something in the range of 16-20 oz which all but a couple of my carry guns are. The heaviest being a 30 oz Commander size Sig 1911. Anything heavier than that I consider a range or home protection only pistol.

2 Likes

I live in the desert so typical attire is shorts, flip flops and a full Hawaiian shirt to cover my EDC. Glock 26, 11 rounds, Galco Combat Master leather holster, 15 rounds spare mag in a polymer OWB. Bigfoot gun belt carries all that comfortably. Plus Benchmade Griptillian, keys, wallet, Leatherman micra. I love the1911 Kimber but it is just too heavy.

2 Likes

I think “heavy” depends on the firearm. I carry a single stack .40 Shield that weighs 20.6 ounces, according to S&W. I have a Sig P365XL that weighs 26.3 ounces. The Shield feels heavier than the Sig. Just perception, I guess…???

3 Likes

My first carry 1911 was a Kimber CDP, which weighed 28 oz unloaded. Now I carry a Remington double-stack all steel 9mm which weighs about 40 oz unloaded. Funny thing, but the Remington with a full 18 round magazine is as easy to carry as the lighter Kimber. But compared to the .45 Kimber, the 9mm Remington is a joy to shoot, and I am far more accurate with it. Therefore, I happily carry the extra weight, knowing if push comes to shove, I will be right on target with the Remington.

4 Likes

18 rounds of Federal HST 147 grain, Dark Star Gear holster.

3 Likes

This is the correct answer! Body type/shape has a huge impact the amount of weight you can EDC without having to use a tourniquet as a belt to keep it tight enough so as to not drag your pants off.

5 Likes