How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

When ammo started getting hard to find, I went and bought some steel targets and airsoft guns in the same models of my rifle and edc pistol and trained iny backyard. CO2 and pellets are cheap, you can train how you want, when you want… The airsoft guns they make now are so realistic in terms of weight and size and a lot of them even have blowback that gives you a tad bit of recoil.

It has made for some epic backyard training for me.

2 Likes

Be careful with lasers that require you to rack the slide each time you fire them to reset the device. Many people end up at the range racking the slide each shot during practice with live rounds flying out of the chamber. It can also happen with people that use airsoft guns that require you manually rack the slide each shot to reload. You will most likely do what you have practiced repeatedly when under a stressful engagement so practice as closely to the real event as possible.

2 Likes

I use replica blowback airguns in my backyard… cheap, easy, convenient and practical.

1 Like

Stop hoarding so we can reduce the shortages.

2 Likes

By using a book “The new rules of Marksmanship” by Chris Dajnog and my dry-fire magazine.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::clap::clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

I use the CoolFire system.

1 Like

I love the iTarget system. I’ve been using it with my Glock 17, but when I purchased a S&W M&P 15 I just had to get another laser round and I’m good to go!

4 Likes

STATE & NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL & DEFENSE OF THE HOME INSTR

My : Training/Teaching Method
I use Exact Replica S&W M&P BB Pistols.
Good training tools.
Sights are same, gun is exact same size, trigger is close to a real stock-gun.
BB Guns fit standard M&P Holsters.
They will shoot-thru IDPA Cardboard Targets - so you have “Target Marking”.
Teach Trigger Control for accuracy.
Then
You can set-up several targets in your garage and shoot combat scenarios
ie Set Up a “Shoot House”.
They work well to train - draw & present, grip, etc techniques and they shoot
true and trigger is about same as Stock pistols.
They also have a pic rail so you can install a light or laser.
Wear Shooting Glasses in case of stray rounds-BB’s.
Only thing you don’t get is Recoil -
So after I train them to shoot(And NOT Shoot ME or Themself) - I take them to a real range.
Separate Session.
Use a Real Gun and work on Recoil Control.
Saves on ammo and much safer training methodology.
“MY Method”
1 - Teach - Ammo issues, gun, safety, security etc issues
2 - Train - body positions, Draw, present, etc with empty gun in holsters
3 - Shoot - “Safe - Match Style” in my “Shoot House”. Shoot and Move. LH/RH only
use of lights - mounted and hand-held, etc.
4 - To the Range for “Real” guns and shooting(Separate Session)
end

2 Likes

California maybe? I got out over 10 years ago Lol!

2 Likes

I Laser train, I use a SIRT pistol atttlso use a laser bullet for my carry guns to train with my LasrX and iTarget systems… in the near future I plan to buy the Smokeless Range 2.

1 Like

Dot drills are the best for speed and accuracy.

2 Likes

LOVE IT!!! It’s Solid with MANY training aids to make ur shoot so much better! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just bought a SIRT 110 and it works great. The only thing you can’t practice is for recoil. The SIRT 110 I bought has the red lasers and the metal slide. I opted for this as it was the closest match to my EDC. If you plan on using it outside get the green laser. You’ll pay more for it but you can see it outside.

1 Like

How do you like Mantis x compared to the other tools listed? I’m considering purchasing one.

1 Like

I actually used my NES/Zapper on a CRT with Duck Hunt and Clay Shooters, and was able to pull in my groups at 15 yards by 2 inches over 3 weeks of effort.

1 Like

I got a laserlyte pistol frm amazon and dot torture test

1 Like

I use iTarget to hone my accuracy, but I also do a lot of dry fire especially when I practice drawing from my holsters. I also occasionally do work with snap caps.

1 Like

I am using G-Sight app with a Amazon laser I bought since the one from G-Sight broke but it was my fault.

1 Like

Love it for trigger control, you can use it for dry or live fire. I use it at the same time with my other dry fire tools syncing with my iPhone and I get great data to understand why my follow-up shots go where they go.

I also use it to teach beginner to intermediate shooters without overcomplicating them. Most folks don’t know that you can also use it on a rifle with the right adapter.

1 Like