How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

Ammo is still in large demand with short supply – short, expensive supply. While we know nothing can replace live-fire training, right now most of us are conserving ammo and looking for other ways to train and sharpen our skills.

The SIRT Pistols and Laser Training is a favorite of a lot of USCCA Certified Instructors as it is especially helpful breath control and trigger pull.

How do you train at home or in the classroom without ammo?

• Snapcaps
  • Dryfire without any tool
  • SIRT Pistol
  • Laser Training
  • Barrel Blok
  • Other please share your thoughts below

0 voters

Share your favorite dryfire drills and non-shooting classes below.

USCCA Members - Check out the awesome member-only specials for SIRT Pistol training! (Barrel Blok and Snapcaps available too!)

6 Likes

I like using this drill to train with accuracy. It helps with proper steps in gun control upon each shot. This has really helped my shooting. Each dot is about 1 inch. It is set at 15 feet away and each dot gets one shot. I got this drill at the range from a LEO as we discussed different drills we practice. He gave me this one and I have found that it has really helped. I used this drill for the April shooting competition because I like this drill.

35 Likes

Snap caps and Mantis X.

20 Likes

MantisX, and considering the Mantis Laser Academy.

40 Likes

I do a lot of dry fire and a lot of practice getting a consistent grip on the draw. But I also use an iTarget laser trainer. It’s good for practicing the first shot, but subsequent shots can only be practiced live fire. Also, since the laser really only allows me to practice disengaging the thumb safety on the draw, I practice separately with the safety, without dropping the hammer. Disengage the safety on the draw, then flip it back on when I bring it back to the holster, over and over again. Disengaging the thumb safety has become a part of my natural grip, with my thumb resting on top. But I want to make sure that safety is back on before bringing it back to the holster.

8 Likes

The voting doesn’t give the option for a real answer.
I and few shooters I know are using multiple ways to train. Using one dry firing tool makes a lot of limitations.
My vote should combine :

• laser training
  • SIRT Pistol
  • Snap Caps
  • Other: EDC pistol, TRT mag ammo
15 Likes

While I will do dry fire exercises, I also practice my draw from concealed carry. I am currently working on my draw while getting off line from my “target”. Doing this without taking my eyes off the target and still having everything flow is going to take time.

12 Likes

SIRT, Mantis, and looking at the Mantis Laser app.

Mantis is a fantastic tool.

8 Likes

@Todd30 I use this drill or one similar every time I go to the range. I need to stick one to the wall to use with my SIRT pistol.

3 Likes

I train be first looking at the lay of land in other words where do I access my gun where can I stand and be mostly concealed do I have the opportunity to move to a more advantage position 2nd what can I use as cover the will stop around fired at me, 3rd do I have time and concealed enough to dial 911 and be able to keep them on the line, this is done in my home there are several points I return fire in a empty gun at my made up bad guy. If you have kids or a wife still asleep they are the first one you take care of. Depending on the size of your house will dictate how you train there. But this what works for my situation.

5 Likes

I throw rocks in the back yard. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

The iTarget app has been great for me. You can use your own weapon unlike when using the sirt pistol.

11 Likes

I will sit in my house and practice my draw and trigger pull with no one home with multiple firearms. This way no matter which firearm I have to use I know how it feels. I also do this to help myself learn to work with my clothes instead of against them. Everyone has that favorite EDC but sometimes out of the blue people do switch.

9 Likes

I am a big fan of Mantis!! Gives great feedback on every “shot” !!

8 Likes

Snap caps,SIRT,Laser,dry fire as well. Even barrel sight lasers can be used for dry fire training so one can see when aiming. Many ways to train but when it sh*t hits the fan… control and placement is key for me. Mentally put yourself through a scenario and get worked up, breathing and feeling scared. Then when you’ve achieved that calm yourself while doing your four steps. Draw/Aim/fire/reload etc.might be different tho for some… move and angle yourself. Odd positions and regular positions it all helps in the long run. I am no expert tho lol… just my way of doing it. Anyone can learn to shoot paper targets or steel plates etc but when one is fired upon and actively being engaged is a whole other ball game. Having personally delt with that issue a few times in my life it is no laughing matter and the feeling is something I can’t describe but you know when you have it. Stay fit brothers and sisters and God bless

6 Likes

or weapons :wink:. Got 7 9mm pistols, and that one laser bullet fits 'em all, from the m9 to the g43. Been thinking of getting the 5.56 and .45 acp bullets as well.
Yes, fan of the ItargetPro, good safe way to practice tactical training without potential issues, downside is lack of recoil and inability for follow up shots.
For rifle practice, I enjoy my pellet rifles, shooting 50-70 yards in the back yard. Good practice for breath and trigger control. Have “real” scopes on both and weight similar to my mini 14.

Missing recoil at home? Check “CoolFire Trainer”

… but is it worthy? :thinking:

1 Like

@Kevin108 Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you!

1 Like

I have a Mantis X10, and the iTarget laser bullet. I don’t like the updated app for iTarget, so I don’t use it, but I’ve used DAZ Studio to render out some dry fire targets and the laser lets me know if I’ve hit them. I also rendered out some Do Not Shoot targets, to make myself identify which target is up.

I also want this thing:

12 Likes

MantisX

3 Likes