Dry Fire Practice Options

Ladies and gentlemen, and yes I just assumed your gender… It’s been a dark cold winter where I live with little option to get to the range and I’m going stir crazy… I’m looking for a great dry fire practice option to woe away the winter blues. Any experience with any of the dry fire practice systems and recommendations is greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there. Peace.

4 Likes

I have Mantis and love it, you pair it to your phone and you don’t even need special targets.

5 Likes

The top seems to be Mantis

4 Likes

I’ve been using 3 systems:

1. myself, meaning I draw cleared EDC pistol from holster, engaging imaginary target (it can be anything - TV, lamp, coffee maker…)
  2. laser cartridge and electronic target. Target is a small circle 1.5". Once hit with laser beam shot, it beeps and counts
  3. LASRx software
2 Likes

The Ideal setup I have determined is using the Mantis X system. (I use the x10) I also use the Mantis Laser Academy. The Laser academy is fine but has its draw backs. Honestly they both have their drawbacks and strengths. So I do see an argument to have both. However, if you have to choose one over the other. The Mantis X system is the better of the two. The Software with the app is what really sells the systems as compared to other similar systems.

The X system is pretty much on itsown. I am not currently aware of a similar functioning system. The Laser academy on the other hand has competition i-Target and Strikeman and several other similar systems. The Mantis software is what sets it apart from the others.

Hope that helps

4 Likes

Lots of options if you search Amazon with key words
Laser target shooting [your caliber]
It’s up to how much you’re willing to spend, could be the cost of a range trip and four boxes of ammo.

2 Likes

From what I have seen regarding reviews, MantisX is probably well worth the money, since it can give you feedback regarding your shooting mechanics. I don’t have one yet. What I have been using is a laser cartridge in 9mm, along with a target system that uses your phone camera. It. Basically a target with a base that holds your phone . There are several available. The one I have is iTarget, and it works OK. You do need to adjust the camera within the app for lighting and the target shape. It works fine for what I mostly practice during dry fire, which is drawing from concealment, and getting first shot on target. ITarget also has a built in shot timer which is nice,

2 Likes

Mantis X seems to be a very well regarded option. I’ll have to invest in it some day.

I did just invest in a SIRT laser trainer back when they had a sale last year. It beats having to rack the slide every time you want to pull the trigger as you do with a laser cartridge. Though those are great for using your own pistol and getting a precise feel for the real trigger you will be using.

The SIRT was an advantage for me because it is a safer alternative at the gym to a real firearm when practicing weapon retention and draw don’t draw drills with my coach. You can do those with a blue gun but the laser lets you know if you actually would have had a successful hit before the pistol gets redirected.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Mark827

1 Like

I battle the cold, bad guys don’t care what the weather is.

4 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

Mantis X and the blackbeard system for AR dryfire are both very good systems. They even make the blackbeard X now, which is a mantis x10 built into the blackbeard setup. The blackbeard is a trigger reset mechanisim that takes the place of your bolt carrier group and magazine in your AR15.

2 Likes

This is what I use as well

2 Likes

Wow. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

I use a bore laser and refridgerator magnets. My wife has quite the collection and “targets” on each side of the fridge. Line of sight of about 15 yards to the fridge. To change it up I can reverse and pick random “targets” from the fridge to the opposite end of the house. I also randomly draw from room to room at pictures on the walls and other “threats” varying firing positions as I proceed.

Your eye will register the laser flash and you will soon be able to recognize hits and misses. This type of practice improves as well as verifies your gun handling skills and creates muscle memory. Draw and presentation as well as trigger control will improve with practice as poor trigger control will be seen as momentary streaks as the “shot” breaks.

I have worked up some good sweats moving through the house and practicing with only dry fire and a laser!

3 Likes

Right about that! Also , where you live you would never get anything done for 6 months if you didn’t. :+1:

1 Like

I got the Strikeman system for Christmas. For my purposes, it does just fine. It is a laser cartridge system that uses a phone app and camera to score the shots. It was under $200 total to buy the Pro version with a 9mm laser cartridge.

Pros

–You get to use your own pistol to train
–The system works pretty well with very few --malfunctions, like a false shot or a shot not recorded.
–Not terribly expensive
–Does not require an internet connection to use

Cons

–The analytics and perfomance numbers are a bit lacking. You have to do a little work to figure out score and time numbers across many training sessions. It was simpler to use pen and paper.
–The tutorials are a bit lacking in the details of how to really run the system. It is pretty simple overall, but the instruction is lacking.
–Every now and then, but not often, you will fire a shot that is not recorded. Very rarely a shot will be registered that you did not fire. These are both pretty rare though.

For me, Strikeman is perfect. The basic system was very lacking in analytics and features. I highly recommend getting the Pro version right off the bat. With the Pro, you are able to do timed drills and many types of them.

Based on everything I have read and heard, the Mantis system seems to be the best. BUT, for the money, Strikeman offers a lot of great training. My draw times and accuracy have greatly, greatly improved using it.

I hope this helps some of you a bit. Thanks

2 Likes

Get a shot timer that is sensitive enough to pick up your shots. It is important to be able to measure your progress (or any lack thereof).

1 Like