How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

MantisX with occasional laser cartridge

2 Likes

Mantis X with Laser cartridge to verify grouping.

2 Likes

I do Laser Training in my garage with my I Target a few times a week. Hopefully soon I can start goin to the range again.

Laser cartidges in my pistols. Lacks recoil, but racking slide and re-establising grip between shots is decent practice for maintaining/adjusting grip during recoil and great pratice for reacquiring sight picture. DA/SA pistols allow multple shots in DA if you so desire.

1 Like

I use more than one method but your question only allows for one answer. I don’t think one dry fire method is good enough, too easy to develop lazy habits. I use L.A.S.R., Mantis X, SIRT, Laserlyte, & Laser Marking Cans. But most importantly we use all of these in tandem and mix them into drills. Example: my wife hides targets in the house, we drill practice responding to a break in where an unknows target has been placed. Combine that with Dry Fire Training Cards and you can really have a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Preferred method is Big Buck Hunter at the local watering hole. Bring a bag full of quarters!

2 Likes

SIRT seems expensive, but may be worth it. What is everyone’s thoughts on it?

Gas blowback airsoft pistol. Licensed replicas fit the same holster

3 Likes

Snap caps work great. BUT, I perform live fire drills that use very very little ammo. It takes several extra magazine though. Say what you will, training without regular live fire drills in addition doesn’t cut it. Use live fire and whatever you’ve chosen ALSO.

3 Likes

Currently use a laser trainer but really want add the Cool FireTrainer for pistol and Black Beard for AR because they will cycle your triggers and give you a more realistic feel.

Dry fire magazine and PACT shot timer set to par.

Mantis 10 elite with DryFireMag, great combo since you don’t need to keep resetting the trigger.

I use the Strikman laser target. Great for indoor and outdoor practice.

1 Like

I use the barrel and mag blok along with the Mantis X3. I’d love a 9mm barrelblok that’s long enough for a PCC.

Blowback CO2 BB pistol (Umarex Glock replica). It gives you some tactile recoil-like feedback, vaguely similar to a .22 cal. Though the power noticeably declines by the 3rd or 4th magazine, it’s still valuable for practicing the fundamentals, particularly follow up shots, without unduly bothering the neighbors.

1 Like

In addition to laser and dry fire drills I built a knockdown plate rack from old cabinet hinges and electrical box covers. I practice with my G19 air pistol as well as my air rifles. Including my classic red Ryder.

I use G-SIGHGT, it works great in my 9mm.

I practice several times (3 to 5) during the week using the DRY FIRE method with laser attached to check aiming/sight alignment techniques

Rocks are sure a lot cheaper !

4 Likes

We use snap caps and laser training both. Do as much live fire as possible with 22lr as ammo is usually available at our home range.