Dry Shoot Systems

My range guy recommended I get an app called Dry Fire Par Timer, but I’m unable to find it. Instead, I’ve found lots and lots of other product options and am overwhelmed. Does anyone here have a recommendation? I find the laser cartridge systems intriguing, but the product information and reviews are sketchy. Ideally I could use the laser cartridge, download the associated app, mirror my phone to my TV and start practicing. Any ideas?

3 Likes

@Shannon24 Just a few of the many posts on this subject. And welcome. :us:

3 Likes

@Shannon24 Just use the magnifying glass in the upper right corner to search for subjects of interest. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Bruce!

Thank you so much! This is really helpful and I truly appreciate it. You’ve saved me hours of research time and frustration. :+1:

I’ll dig in on these threads first thing tomorrow.

All the best
Shannon

Excuse the brevity of my response.

1 Like

I’ve got a dry fire par timer that was an app for my phone.
Using that with Mantis and a laser cartridge is a great dry fire training regimen.
The laser cartridge is $40. That’s what a box of ammo is now. It’s worth it. Get it. I have 9mm, 40, 45, and have sent one to my sister and my son. I’m a fan.

3 Likes

You didn’t mention iPhone or Android, but I’ve used both G-Sight (google / apple) and Laser Academy. MantisX recently launched an app called Laser Academy for both iPhone/Android. G-sight has been around a long while, but the Laser Academy app is much more polished.

Both of them let you put a regular paper target on the wall and they register where your laser cartridge hits the target and can give you a score. Some of the modes have a timer function. Both have paid add-ons/upgrades to enable more training modes but have a free version.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I did try that but I must not have used the right keywords. I know better now what keywords to use.

1 Like

I was just looking at the Mantis set up right before I saw your note. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Harvey

That is exactly what I want to do, and yes, I use an iPhone. I’ll check out Laser Academy and go from there.

Thanks so much. I think I have enough information to go forward.

I appreciate the quick responses from everyone. What a great community.

Shannon

2 Likes

Can I ask which shot timer you’re using that recognizes dry fire? I love Mantis and have struggled through the beta process of the Laser Academy. But the one thing I’m missing is a good shot timer that can detect dry fire.

I use LaserHit. Works good and keeps your trigger control and grip in check. Doesn’t account for recoil, but still better than nothing when at the house and wanna do a little “shooting” without going out and using up precious ammo.

1 Like

I would be interested in hearing about a dry fire detecting shot timer, too.

For me, the first step in meaningful dry fire practice was $35 (and up) for a laser cartridge, and the free G-Sight app for marking hits on a target of choice with a phone/tablet. It didn’t take long for Wall Drills to put me in a coma. But the laser cartridge was a real ticket to motivating dry fire — any kind of target, bullseye or speed, holster draw stroke, reload technique, various positions, 1 hand/2 hand. Amazing value for the modest investment.

But I’ve never seen a timer hear a firing pin alone. A timer will provide start/stop beeps to shoot against a fixed time, but I don’t find that very useful.

MantisX will capture dry fire times — providing random starts, personal history, and a collection of different exercises. It’s kind of constantly under development and working out bugs, but a smooth wake seems to form behind a raggedy leading edge as enhancements are rolled out. I don’t find the Mantis “coaching” suggestions particularly helpful. But if you can work with a cranky scold of a coach:

• “Not doon’ it right!”
  • “Not doon’ it right!”
  • “There! That’s good! Do that!”
  • “Not doon’ it right!”

MantisX has helped me quite a lot in developing a still hand and smooth trigger press. But the device doesn’t know or care what you’re aiming at, nor how crappy your sight picture might be. And it will give demerits, not rewards, if you make last instant twitches to adjust your sight picture to hit a point of aim.

So, laser cartridge for target control; MantisX for timing and trigger control. I try to do some of each in every dry fire session. Putting them together takes ammo and firing range. My old iPad won’t run the MantisX Laser Academy app, so I don’t know whether that brings it all together in the spare bedroom, or not.

1 Like

I ordered and received the Mantis Laser Academy standard kit today, tried it out, and I love it. It includes a variety of targets that map to the various drills in the app. The kit also contained an access code to get the pro drills that would otherwise cost another 49.95.

After I figured out that the batteries in the laser cartridge were installed incorrectly, I was up and running. Spent 45 minutes running through about half of the drills and enjoyed every minute of it. it gives me timing as well, but I’m not sure about par timings. I am a new practitioner and pretty green.

Anyway, the standard kit was about 149 and worth every penny. I can spend more time practicing in my home office before heading up to the range. This should cut down my ammo costs big time.

2 Likes

If you are pretty new to the skillset you’re working on, I suggest not to worry much at all about times for a while.

Work on safe operation of all your equipment until you are confident with it. Then work on making the bullet go where you want it to end up until you are confident of the outcome. Then work on smoothness of all movements until they feel pretty natural. Then try to pick up the pace while remaining safe, accurate, and smooth until you think you’re clipping right along.

Then allow the timer to demonstrate you really are not going that all fast yet. Afterward, the timer can become a nearly full-time tool in learning to add speed to your safe and accurate shooting. Wisdom of the ages says, “You can’t miss fast enough to win a gunfight.” Whatever your discipline, and whether you’re teaching yourself or being taught, the ability to get the bullet home safe will always be task one. Tally-ho!

3 Likes

Thank you so much … this is the kind of guidance I really need at this point. One skill at a time! My focus right now is on stance, grip, and front site, and hitting the target at 7 yards. Then my next challenge is to break in my new shoulder holster. Really tough to pull and re-holster the firearm. I figure the more I practice with it on during dry shoot practice, the sooner it will be ready to wear while concealed carrying.

I appreciate all the help I’ve received from the community.

Shannon

2 Likes

Yeah, I wishit did that–it just counts off the par time–no shot timer per se.