Concealed Carry Training Without Ammo | USCCA

We’ve compiled a list of blog posts related to training without ammunition. These cover both drills and specific tools to help you enhance your skills. You can perform these drills in the comfort of your home this winter without the need for live ammunition. Remember, training doesn’t only happen at the range.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/concealed-carry-training-without-ammo/

You are absolutely right, skills are perishable, that’s why try to train without ammunition every chance I get.

2 Likes

I’ve trained daily for almost a year with Dry fire.

I use The Mantix X system. It can be found here:

I’ve also just bought their newer Laser academy system found here:

The thing I like most about the Mantis X system, is that the more and more you use it, you unlock harder and harder skills/goals. It’s taken me an honest year to get through all of it. My draw has become so much better and at the range I’ve improved my accuracy.
(When you get to one haded off hand shooting and have to score a 95% you know your putting in work)

Now im onto the Laser Academy system. The reason why I picked up this system is because you can print out the targets on your PC. It has games to play with friends. I can have competitions with my actual friends in my garage. I also do train with it solo as well.

1 Like

I’m hoarding all of my 9mm ammo until things return to normal. But I still do laser training with iTarget.

I am investigating who is ripping off consumers with the outrageous ammo prices. Are high costs the causes by dealers and resellers or the manufacturers .do t blame COVID please, we are all in the same boat and most prices didn’t shoot up 1000%. So far it seems the greedy resellers are filling their pockets and responsible for the high prices. Even the Russian steel cases ammo most of us didn’t want to buy is selling for $1 per round. We discovered operators with pre COVID contracts are getting the product at the same price as before COVID. As consumers we can hold greedy operators accountable and make them pay when life returns to normal. Enriching themselves when we are all suffering is unethical, unAmerican and anti-capitalist is pure greed. Unfortunately, most consumers will mumble and complain about the high prices but not hold those responsible accountable.

Keep up the training with all your spare time. Learn how to run the gun and practice malfunction clearing, too. Also, don’t forget to practice your situational awareness CONSTANTLY!! All the other gun skills training is for naught if you let the bad guy get in your back pocket before you realize he’s even there!

1 Like

Glad you’re looking into this. However, I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion it’s anti-capitalist. Unethical? Sure, unless the sell price really does reflect the resource acquisition cost. Un-American? Could argue it either way.

Capitalism is a free market by definition. Supply and demand. Charge what you want, let the customer decide if it’s worth the price. Now there are supposed to be protections against multiple different groups coming together to collude on an inflated price. Though often that’s difficult to prove. Where do you get that evidence?

You think telecom / internet companies magically decided not to have more than 2-3 companies of their type in a given area? They are well aware that limiting consumer options means they all benefit from being able to charge more for the service. It’s an intentional tampering of natural supply and demand, sure. You could argue that any tampering of natural supply and demand is unethical, yet it happens throughout many industries… Oil companies adjust how much oil they pump out based on demand and attempt to predict demand so that there’s never an oil surplus. The corn lobby had so much corn they convinced politicians to allow it to be put into our gasoline even though it’s bad for engine components, especially smaller engines. There’s numerous examples like this which go unchallenged.

Since much of these practices go unchallenged, I fail to understand how it’s anti-capitalist. It seems pretty standard to me. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

P.S. - If you make so much of something you can no longer make a profit on it due to over abundance then I would argue it’s not unethical to reduce production, just common sense.

1 Like

Capitalism is good , price gouging during an emergency is pure unadulterated greed. When gas stations or grocery stores do this during a storm , tornado or other disaster or emergency , they soon find out the price they have to pay

I try to go to the range once a quarter. When there I usually purchase 200 rounds, shoot 100 rounds and save the balance.
They always have ammo, and it adds to my home supply. Not hollow point of course, and a little more expensive than purchasing at Bass, but will get the job done if needed! Stay safe!

Training continuously is critical. I spent 4 years as an Armor officer in the OPFOR at the Army NTC at Ft. Irwin training armored units. When one young officer was asked by a reporter after Desert Storm if the tank engagements were tough, he replied that they weren’t nearly as tough as the NTC training had been. That’s the benefit of constant training.

Having said that, I fully endorse and use self defense firearms training without live ammo, but on the other hand while I understand how new shooters would be frustrated when trying to buy ammo, I can’t understand why long-time shooters are out of ammo. We’ve been advised for decades to always buy an extra box or two when we buy ammo, just as it it’s wise to buy a few extra cans of food whenever we go shopping ‘just in case.’ It’s not hoarding since we are doing it a box or two at a time. Consequently, that’s just what I did so I have ammo to shoot on the days I feel like walking down into the woods behind my house and shooting. There is ammo available online, although it is more expensive than it was a year ago. The manufacturers are doing their best but the demand is high, so when you find a deal I suggest you go for it. And if you don’t have the ammo to burn, then there are a lot of great training devices available, or you can just do dry fire training. It all helps.