How do you mobilize your ammo

Beware of repeat customers as they know what your barter items are.

5 Likes

Feel free to ship it all to me. I even have a registered charity to give you a tax deductible receipt! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::rofl:

3 Likes

I meant in terms of powder, primers, and projectiles. Getting multiple uses out of the brass, plus people at the range always offer to dump their brass into my bucket rather than the range bucket translates into my having buckets of brass onhand. But the 3Ps have been a challenge to obtain. With temperature fluctuations in my house and the shelf life of powder and primers, I’ve never stored too much of that. I need to rethink how much I should always have onhand. And projectiles are a HUGE challenge. I’ve never ordered more than in the 500-1,000 qty at a time because the grief I get from the carriers and they also seem to abuse the boxes in transit. I can’t count how many times the outer box was broken and sometimes, bullets have gone missing. In today’s world, you’re not going to get more shipped from the supplier because their inventory is depleted so fast. In this current ammo “crisis”, I’ve still had plenty of brass onhand. But the 3Ps have been a big challenge. …and costly. I’ve told people it’s cheaper to pay the high cost of today’s ammo than it is to reload. 9mm at 15¢ per bullet and 11¢ per primer, plus powder, plus your time sorting, cleaning, inspecting, etc., etc… Or just pay 26¢ per round for factory new? With .45acp, there’s a little bit of savings because ammo prices remain so high. But you can actually find the ammo far easier than you can find bullets to reload with. I wasn’t prepared for the number of projectiles I needed to get through these dark days.

1 Like

That sucks. I know on the receiving end, the buyer would have to have an FFL willing to run the background check. Or, the recipient could be a person who has their C&R FFL and a COE. That qualifies them to purchase ammo online and have it shipped directly to them. However, I think there are also restriction on you as a “seller” without a license.

Perhaps contact Michele Lawyers? They’re handling the Rhode v Becerra/Bonta case against the ammo purchase restrictions and would have all the details on every letter of those laws:

1 Like

I guess I got myself misled by your mention of components there at the last and keyed on .45

I don’t notice as much as I would have in years past because I still have a good supply of primers and powders and started using a lot of cast lead so haven’t noticed dearth of projectiles in the different calibers.

I just got old and slowed way down on my shooting so that is why I didn’t really think about primers and powders which I had always bought in quantity. These days I’m mostly just having to replace worn out brass and the bullets themselves (but I still get lots of free lead for casting from the backstop and water trap so I haven’t even looked for availability of jacketed bullets).

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Pbishark. Glad you’ve joined us.

3 Likes

My Russian prof in college grew up in Poland before WW2 and lived through two Zombie apocalypses.
Well, sort of. Being invaded by the Nazis first, then the Communists.
His solution was to keep no more than 300 rds. (6 boxes) of good fresh 9mm parabellum ammo in reserve, and no more.
Why?

1. 6 boxes can easily be carried in the pockets of an overcoat or bicycle panniers.
  2. 6 boxes can be easily cached.
  3. Nearly anyone has the cash for 6 boxes of ammo without breaking the bank, if there is a bank to break.
  4. If your stash is found by the enemy, you’re not “resupplying” them a huge amount of munition (unlike out withdrawal from Afghanistan.)
  5. If you’re in a gunbattle with only a pistol and need all 300 rounds, you’re already in deep trouble.
  6. All you need is enough ammunition for an ambush to capture a few of the enemy’s guns and ammunition.

Since he survived those Zombie apocalypse, I’ll leave his advice to your discretion…
Now for range ammo, that’s a different matter entirely.

6 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, you have to go through a licensed ammo reseller if selling within the state.

2 Likes

Maybe sell it out of state where it’s still legal?

3 Likes

Scroll down at this link and there’s info on private party transfers:

It looks like any FFL who also has the ability to sell ammo is capable of doing the transfer. I came across older info that if it’s more than 500 rounds, you’d need to have a license to sell ammo. The “letter of the law” doesn’t mention quantity constraints, just the process:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=30312

4 Likes

There is a reason us old gray headed guys lived long enough to be old and gray headed.

7 Likes

Do you think they’ll show up with loaded guns ready to make a counter offer?

3 Likes

Kind, point is they may use what you bartered last time to renegotiate a better deal. Not saying it won’t be valuable but, know your clientele.

2 Likes

I changed calibers in my repertoire. Have some I don’t see ever using. I’ve never sold on gunbroker.com before; I want to. Advice anyone - on using gunbroker?

2 Likes

You keep what you need, and the extra ammo can always be used as barter for other things.

3 Likes

For bullets, brass and powder you might want to check out evergladesammo.com. Primers are still a bit hard to find.

2 Likes

Good question. IMO it goes to the question of where you’re really going to go.
The difference between stocking and bug out bag at home or keeping a bug in bag in the truck.
I’m too old for a bug out on foot. I’ll be hunkering down right here. :us:

6 Likes

Only a hazmat :radioactive: situation would make me leave.

4 Likes

California wants to ban Campbell’s Soup, close enough!

3 Likes

Many are stocking up on Gold and Silver and other precious metals. Perhaps Lead, Copper and Brass may make for currency if the zombie apocalypse is really bad. Easily transported (more so than silver or gold), and useful immediately.

2 Likes