Prepping your Supply: Ammo past YOUR magazine capacity!

Hey guys,
So I DO seem to have stockpiled a BIT of ammo. I think I should have more, it’s starting to run low.
But in terms of, for example, 5.56mm 55gr FMJ, I have plenty left after all of my mags are filled.

This, IMO, is a total OPINION question, … would you guys and gals rather leave ammo in its original box as-is (loose … I have the winchester white box of the above mentioned) … or possibly put together 30-rd baggies of “ready-to-load” mag fills?

3 Likes

Stripper clips

4 Likes

Leave it in box.

3 Likes

Hm. Decent suggestion, although I don’t have a supply of them to use.
Also, what about other rounds like 9mm, would pre-made baggies for those be more hinderance or convenience?

2 Likes

Honest answer here, no sarcasm. Do you really want to be guessing what you have when the fecal matter hits the impellor blade. Or what you are grabbing. Especially, if you carry fmj, hollow points or something else. Storage wise your bags are just going to go flop where ever you put them unless you make a hanging system as well.

4 Likes

Good point, I wouldn’t want them loose.

I was imagining a setup where the BULK BOXES were intact (or large green ammo cans), and used to hold pre-counted quantities of rounds in bags set up to be one magazine worth, with only a single type (hollow/fmj/etc).

2 Likes

Ammo cans can get get pretty hefty weightwise when filled and you need to use a dehumidifier per can and store them off the ground so they don’t trust. Personally I have an ammo safe and I cycle my ammo First in First out. I only have 4 calibre’s so it’s easier to organize.

5 Likes

I usually keep some empty comercial/retail boxes around and when I buy bulk/loose I put it in boxes to take to the range. That way it’s easy to know how much I’m taking and how much I have left.

2 Likes

What @Greg35 said. Save your old boxes and fill them with your bulk later.

3 Likes

Every magazine is fully loaded marked, orange/red for defensive and blue for ball ammo. I do stash my “extra” (no such thing) ammo in MTM plastic boxes neatly stacked in ammunition boxes in my safe and in my go bags. I do keep the flaps from the boxes so I have the lot numbers just in case of recalls or accidents due to manufacturing defects.
Rotate on a regular basis and in this day and age I recommend 1000’s of rounds on hand, after all your hundreds of magazines are loaded.
If I had the space and the budget I would have over a million rounds on hand.
Zombiecrats can rise from the ground at any moment.

2 Likes

I keep my ammo in the original box. I will use ammo cans to hold the boxes but only have one type of ammo in each box. I would not mix boxes of different calibers in one box. I also put dissicant packs inside the cans. They live in my closet to keep them dry.

3 Likes

If it’s loose bulk ammo I put it in an mtm ammo can with a dissicant pack to capture Amy moisture in the can.

If it’s boxed ammo I leave it in the manufacturer box. If I buy a lot of 1000 that comes with separate boxes inside I will put those in an mtm ammo can with a dissicant pack.

Each can has a sticker with caliber, count, and purchase date.

3 Likes

I load what I consider “enough” mags for carry and potential defensive use. The rest is in original boxes in ammo cans.

Can I ask what is the advantage to taking them out of the boxes and into 30-round baggies?

1 Like

I had two (laughable) possible reasons:

1. count the baggies, know mag equivalency of how much is left.
  2. Potentially give a less-tactically-minded-person a job (load all of these into this) in a SHTF scenario. It’d be traumatic enough that counting out 30 might be difficult for some, and yet I know of a lot who have such a desire to be helpful that having tasks ready is something to always have planned… or get really good at coming up with them on the fly :smiley:
1 Like

I’m a big fan of military 50 cal cans. Yes they can get VERY heavy if you put a 1000 rnds of 45 in them. I forget how much 9mm and 223 you can pack in one but they are heavy too. That being said when you get into ammo storage the smaller the footprint the better (Unless you live in an apartment on the 2nd + floor) so I’m good with filling and stacking them. If the ammo comes in a can already in boxes I will leave it but in general I will break down the boxes and just dump the loose rounds in the can (less trash while on the range) . It’s also much easier to jam mags with loose rounds rather than picking them out of a box or baggie.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I dont think its laughable, everyone has their own way that works for their situation. I hadn’t thought of those two scenarios

2 Likes

I probably won’t do it, but it’s not a bad idea. Instead of grabbing the ammo out of the bag to load a magazine, just dump it on a bench, table, or the floor and start putting them in - no counting required :smiley:

2 Likes

Also, you might want to use 4 mil zip locks, or go really heavy duty with 8 mil. Amazon has a good selection of both sizes and quantities. I personally use the 4 mils quite a bit for a variety of fishing tackle storage. Lures with treble hooks don’t get tangled up in the tackle box and I can usually get several years of use out of them.

2 Likes