How many rounds do you need in storage to go to the range? and when you go how much ammo do you typically go through?

I like to have 150 at my house at the least not counting self defense rounds. I shoot 200 at the range. After that my arms,hands,eyes get tired and i feel like im not doing much good after that.

8 Likes

I buy 1000 rounds at a time for each caliber I shoot. I buy another 1000 rounds when I have gone through half of the previous batch. Normally I only shoot 100 rounds per range trip.

12 Likes

I buy 1000 round boxes (the best deal). Usually I keep 2000 rounds at home.
Single Range visit -> 350 - 400 rounds.

7 Likes

It seems i am buying my ammo wrong… Im going to look into 1000 rounds . Thank you thats a big help!

7 Likes

That’s pretty much my approach, too.

7 Likes

Find what’s comfortable for your wallet, bulk is best price!
Never get below half tank, you never know when a governmental pandemic might occur.
When I started training approximately 400 rounds weekly per handgun 240 rounds per rifle. Now, because I’m better, older and budget cuts, only 198 rounds handgun, 90 rounds rifle weekly. Have an extra 100 rounds per on hand in the event wife needs alone time :grin:
I love being on the range rain or shine, 105 degrees or 30 degrees.

8 Likes

In general I don’t buy ammo, I load it. New platforms/calibers may get loaded ammo in advance of developing a load. When I go to the range I just grab a “can” from my ready service reloaded ammo. Bunker stocks don’t get touched. I recently scored a couple thousand 230gr FMJ’s for 45 as well as some 62gr 5.56 boolets and a box or three of 208 AMAX’s along with a couple more pounds of various powders. I’m good with primers for now. Oh, also scored 2800 45 ACP cases and made a new connection for all things brass. I’m pretty sure that I could stack them wide and deep if the Zombies came.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

Every movie I’ve watched showed there is always not enough ammo. :upside_down_face: Are we doomed already? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m thinking I’m ok against shambling Zombies. Not so sure about those fast as heck World War Z Zombies.

6 Likes

Life… hmm… and life after life, is faster every year …

2 Likes

Before the pandemic hit I was running around 300+ rds a weekend through the pipe on a few different pistols, with a rifle day thrown in now and again.
Typically I buy 1or2k rds at a time depending on the price and I like to start shopping resupply when I get down to about 1k rds for the all the time calibers (9mm, 556) and 500 rds for the dont shoot as much of it stuff (mostly 45, 762).
Since the pandemic/quarentine thing started I’ve run about 150 rds of 9mm though my carry gun out in the yard and a couple dozen rds of buckshot through a 500 cruiser that I just redecorated today.

4 Likes

What is a good deal on 1000 9mm ? Whats a fair price in your opinion?

3 Likes

A typical range trip is between 100-200 rounds.

How much you keep at home depends mostly on your budget and how much room you have to store it.

For me, I get really twitchy if my range trip leaves me at < 1000 rounds.

I will echo the others and say buy in bulk if you can.

My friend you have just missed the golden days of $0.18/cpr (cpr = cents per round) for brass cased and $0.12/cpr for steel cased ammo.

Today, a good deal might be less than $0.30/cpr. There are several threads around here with our favorite online retailers. Basically you will have to keep looking around until some stock shows up at a price you are comfortable with and then jump on it.

4 Likes

@J.WoodSr… no deals now. You won’t be able to find any bulk ammo below $280 ($0.28 per round).

Fair price is anything (branded, not reloads) below $.018/round delivered.
Sometimes you can have 1,000 rounds in box, sometimes 20 x 50 rounds, depends on manufacturer.

My last purchase was at Bass Shop mid March, when Internet prices went up and people went crazy.
I bought 3,000 rounds for $540 + tax, but better pay tax and have ammo at home, than save on tax and have nothing :wink:

I use only: Fiocchi, Sellier&Bellot, Herter’s, Blazer Brass.

4 Likes

I ordered 9mm from Bass Pro yesterday, Winchester bulk “on sale” plus 10% rebate and free shipping comes out to 0.18 cents per round.

I got this email shortly after the confirmation email: "We apologize the item(s) you ordered has been delayed. If we don’t receive your item(s) within 60 days, it will be canceled. "

So, I will see how it works out.

7 Likes

The last 1000 9mm I brought in was 170 delivered to the front door. About 3 weeks ago. All of you guys, and girls, check out ammo seek. Used to be an app available on Android. Now it’s a little more complicated to get the app. Worth the hassle. Enter what you are looking for and it searched best price, guns, mags, ammo, and reloading. Just watch shipping.

5 Likes

Just signed up for ammoseek. I keep hearing about it, I finally jumped in.

Still not sure if I should be picking up ammo at these higher than usual prices or wait potentially 6mo to a year for prices to settle back down.

I dont want to be that guy looking at prices in December of $0.50/cpr and wishing I had bought at $0.27/cpr because I was used to paying $0.18/cpr

5 Likes

The app is also available for the iPhone platform.

3 Likes

You must be a better “fit” shooter than I am. If I went through 350-400 rounds during one range visit I feel I would be wasting (not concentrating fully) ammo. After 100-150 rounds my sharpness/learning curve definitely bends. I am assuming you are talking pistol/revolver work. I really try to make every shot somewhat of a learning experience where I hone a skill.

There is a place for pure fun but ammo is too costly for range play on my budget. If I am out on a rural property shooting “cans” or similar I tend to play more.

3 Likes

Yes pistol work … And i feel the same way. My arms and hands get tired im less sharp. So my personal limit is 200 usually.

2 Likes