How do you mobilize your ammo

Think this is very subjective. Do you have a place to bug out to? How many firearms will you have, will you have a vehicle or on foot? What caliber have you chosen? If your home is surrounded by hoards of the undead how will you exit?

Options -

1. Small Caliber = lightweight .22 LR and .22 WMR and 5.7 X 28 would serve best for accuracy during the Zombie Apocalypse. Advantages are you can have pistols and rifles that accommodate the same round.
  2. Caches - requires places were no one accept you know about. Primary one would be by your bugout shelter
  3. Vehicles - EMP Proof it, who knows how governments may react to hoards of zombies. Cities could be bombed. Fuel could be very hard to find as well. Diesel is king here, many can run on a variety of oils, from fryer oil, motor oil to oil from transformers.

All this of course assumes on doesn’t need air filtration and or biohazard suits. A surgical mask may not cut it. If the zombie apocalypse was due to food or water contamination, food and water are not light. If radiation is causing the zombies, that is something that may or may not be problematic in a bugout situation. EM radiation is easy to shield, just have a suit and hat made from metal screen. If it is due to supernatural means having a supply of crosses, bibles, Torah or other ancient and modern texts may be necessary, or even silver bullets… What if the zombification is caused by light or even sound? Eyes and ears could be critical.

Surgical supplies - What if a bite to an extremity causes you to turn, are you prepared to perform an amputation? What if you are shot by your fellow zombie hunter? Can you stop the blood flow and suture if necessary. Then there is the issue of bacterial infection. Do you have antibiotics?

The zombie apocalypse scenario is a great exercise to prep for, since there are many ways it could occur and many things you need to prep with.

1 Like

Well if you know how much ammo you have. You don’t have enough, but its always good to have plans ,back up plans, an bug out plans, so its not the question of how to move all your ammo if you must bug out, but where you going to stash it so its there when you come back home.

2 Likes

Hassle? It was a breeze for me.
Put everything you can’t have on your carry on in your checked bag, and just bring a backpack with clothes and essentials that you can carry on. TSA is pretty quick and easy, and you just board and fly.

I brought 2 guns and 100 rounds of 9 mm.

Within 3-4 hours you’ll arrive at your destination.

Meanwhile you’re literally driving hours on end in places you’re not familiar with, to get to where you need to be, and you have to do the same coming back.

100% love flying.

2 Likes

Yeah I used to fly everywhere with my gun but I like to take a little more ammunition than that😉. I will say flying with a gun during the holidays was nice as it always got me around the crowds. Also I like to stop at various sites around the country to either hike or fly fish, where available. But I also realize I have the time to do so and many people don’t. In the last year I’ve driven to Montana, Utah, Dallas /Fort Worth and Florida three separate times.
If I was ever in an accident, I imagine they could open a sporting goods store on the location. :rofl:

But I think the biggest point you’re missing is life is about the journey. REGULARLY, I get home from a trip and think I had more fun during the coming and going than I did during my stay at the destination

People who are forced to fly everywhere are missing a beautiful country!

5 Likes

Just the fact we’re all talking about it puts us ahead of 95% of the population. I mentioned it to some people and all I get is the 1000 yard stare

4 Likes

That would be the “Golden Hoard”. :scream:

3 Likes

As I mentioned before. If you are prepared and you know how to manage it - it’s not an issue.
Tactical backpack’s dimensions: H22"xW14"xD13".
2,000 rds (in form of 4 x 500rds boxes) - 13"x10"x5"… it is only 1/4 of backpack capacity. :point_up:
There is still plenty of space for rest of the stuff.
BTW… each member of Family got own backpack…

3 Likes

Do you have a bug out destinations or would you just be “getting away“. Do you do a lot of walking or hiking? If so, have you done it with low calorie or low H2O intake. How many miles do you think you would be able to do in a day? Day after day after day. Do you live where there is winter weather and would have a heavier clothing requirement? An extra pair of shoes would be Beneficial for days and days of walking. Just being able to regularly change them out is a huge benefit to the legs.
I realize this is age and fitness dependent. But I doubt most people could do 5 miles a day for multiple days (5-7) even without at 20 to 50 pound pack over level ground. Remember the harder you work your body, the more you have to eat and drink.

Just trying to understand your thought process

In my situation I’m more concerned about being able to bug back.
It got me to thinking, how long would it take me to hike the 570 miles home from western Nebraska? :thinking:

4 Likes

To be honest I’m far away from planing for The End of The World or Zombie Apocalypse scenario. I just do not believe in it.
I’m prepared for natural disaster cases or local conflicts (zombies excluded). I’m able to take care of myself and my Family. Long walk is the last option these days. Whatever happens cars can be still used for some time. First mine… then others… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
I’m still active soccer player and I’ve got a lot of activities with my Family… so I still think positively and trust in our survival skills.
If I remember, the vest with plates is about 35 lb and it was never an issue… so carrying the full backpack and not carrying the plates is ok. :wink:

4 Likes

Zombie apocalypse is the least of my worries but any number of disasters, natural or man made, could be problematic. I once read in the scientific journal that the earth receives an EMP from the sun on average about 155 years. If I remember the article correctly the last time we received one was during Lincoln’s time. The morning 911 happened, I watch panicked people come to fisticuffs over fuel at a filling station in Montana. And in 2020/21 I watched people punch each other over toilet paper. What do you think they would do for food? :thinking: I guess my point is it doesn’t even actually have to be a real event but if it’s perceived to be by the public and they panic there will really be no difference

Well if you’re playing soccer I would imagine you’re still in pretty good shape but people generally don’t think things through enough. I imagine roads would be some of the first thing shut down, checkpoints such as bridges/ River crossings would be an opportunity for people to take what ammunition/ supplies you had from you. This would leave traveling after dark, across country. Just having to leave the flat smooth pavement ( in the dark) increases the difficulty of walking by a magnitude

6 Likes

I remember people doing crazy stuff around Y2K. I actually had to chase people off my place that were trying to steal gas.

6 Likes

Fighting over gasoline of toilet paper is not my concern at all. Because I’ve seen panicking people, I mostly avoid crowded places. I don’t even like events with hundreds people anymore. Hopefully I would never need to look for shelter farther than 30 - 50 miles away. I live in a place which gives a lot of options for survivalists. Woods, animals, fresh water - these are available if you know where to look for them.

6 Likes

The one I will say that the Chinese Balloon incident had me thinking about, was the event of an EMP. I’d rather have Walking Dead zombies bumbling around town than an EMP. Less likely, sure. Aside from that all of the power grid attacks across the country has been quite interesting and something to be concerned about. I pray that the worst we’ll see is a power grid attack that lasts a couple weeks. At least with that your vehicle is still mobile, assuming you have enough gas in it. An EMP blast might as well be a nuke drop.

I agree with the post about carrying 2K rounds. If you’re in your early 50’s or younger and can’t carry 2K rounds of 5.56, 9m, etc., in a backpack, then you need to get your ass in shape.

6 Likes

It’s always the best thing in your life - get your ass in shape. Regardless of age. Ones you keep ass in shape you live longer. :point_up_2:

5 Likes

One of our coaches yelled “25 Push Up’s!!” to the entire gym. I’m 64yo 25 pushups are easy for me, I was DUCKING SHOCKED how many 20 somethings could not do 25 Push Ups.

6 Likes

This what you all preparing for?

2 Likes

Thats great for you and yess very sad about the younger generation right now. Thats the generation that will defend us if we go to war with China? Ugh, theyll be drafting us 40 to 60 year olds for sure.

4 Likes

I plan on sheltering in place if at all humanly possible. If I’m forced out on wheels, I can take plenty of things with me. Otherwise, if I’m forced out on foot, I’ll try to have at least 100 rounds of pistol and rifle ammo with me. An acquaintance once said “You can always get more ammo off the body of the guy who tried to steal yours on the street.” Stay alert and that might prove to be true.

6 Likes

Think about what I did. I have several calibers that various friends really enjoy shooting but don’t want to invest in their own as they are comfortable with their 9mm or their .380 or whatever they already have. It got me to thinking and I just told them they were welcome to come around and shoot mine BUT I couldn’t afford to provide the ammo for them. I suggested they just get their own ammo (and stressed that it had to be brass cases and not military) and unless they reload I get to keep the brass.

It has worked pretty good and although a couple thought about starting to reload themselves they changed their minds when they saw that it takes a bit of reloading to pay for the start up costs so they haven’t. One young fella suggested he would pay for the materials if I would reload .45 cal for him so I had to point out that I would but it would still cost him about the same as new ammo because the brass stretches and becomes useless after a few resizings and my time would need to be taken into account.

Long story short, I now have plenty of the casings I need most and usually do not even need to sort the brass because most of these people tend to buy online from Ammunition Depot and get the same brands.

2 Likes

I know I have WAY too much ammo, and will likely be moving out of state in the next 12 months. it’s too much to take with me, not sure how much to keep, and not sure what to do with the excess. Not sure what I can legally do with the excess here in Gomorrah California.

4 Likes