Ammo cans!

They’re good enough for your wealthy uncle to keep his ammo in.
They ought to be good enough for us.
What are your thought on the subject? Here are some of mine:

Fat .50s get too heavy when fully loaded. I avoid buying fat .50s,
Regular .50s are fine(which may not be marked as .50s, but are otherwise identical in size/construction)
The smaller 7.62 cans are really nice for storage in locking filing cabinets
Make sure the seals are still good. You may be able to resurrects hardened seals with a tiny amount of silicone(not petroleum) “grease.” If not, replace the seal or repurpose the can for stowing your snow chains or other stuff.
I keep factory ammo in original packaging in case there is a recall so the production run numbers are preserved, Your hand loads can be loaded in bulk. Your choice—note the loads though.
Cans fresh from storage will often show a rusty complexion, 99% of the time it is rust “dust”—a souvenir of government ammo dumps and warehouses, and will wipe off with a damp cloth.
Open the can to see if the hinges and latch work as the should, The inside should have that “GI” smell.
Avoid setting your ammo cans on a cement floor. Moisture will get trapped between the cement and the metal bottom of the can and start to form rust. Better to stack your cans on wood 2x4s to keep them off the floor and allow air to circulate. It also provides an additional 2" if there should be a flood, that’s 2 more inches before your seals will be tried,

There are new ammo cans being sold, produced in the PRC, looking very similar to USGI cans.
I don’t know enough about them to offer any criticism one way of the other, I’ve seen them at Costco and Walmart though.

What are your thoughts? Experiences?

3 Likes

Need to get some more of the fat50 cans and larger for emergency storage gear for my vehicles/trailers.

3 Likes

.50 cal cans. The best way to store over 3,500 rounds of 9mm. Too heavy for people to grab and dash.

3 Likes

Love me some ammo cans. I’ve got 25mm, 20mm, 40mm, 50 Cal and 7.62 cans. Even got a couple 80mm mortar cans and 37mm flare cans.

Best tip is you need a lock able can is to bolt or rivet the spinny part of a hasp under the latch and drill or file out the hole so that you have an oval you can slap a pad lock on it. I use duct tape on the latch and a sharpie to tell what’s inside. I’d post a pic but I’ve been told the quantity makes some folks uncomfortable :sunglasses:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I have one or two but I dislike them. The latches waste a lot of space in the safe.

1 Like

@Craig6 I’ve seen your setup already…

5 Likes

I know nutink, I zee nutink, I hear nutink. Sgt Shultz.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Looks like a good start. What is your least inventoried round?

Larry

1 Like

Plausible deniability. That is the ready service ammo and I don’t count it by round but by feet. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

That made me think, and count…
21 magazines (not in ammo cans) filled with 147grain JHP = 298 rounds ready and available. Now that I know, I feel I can do better than that.

2 Likes

Oops. Forgot the 2 chambered rounds. 300 ready to serve. :shushing_face: I have way too much time on my hands. Save me!!!

1 Like

AT one point in my life I carried 300 rounds of 5.56, 61 rounds of 9mm and 8 rounds of 357 Magnum on my person at one time plus a box of 150 7.62 belted. I only ever “almost” ran out of ammo once and that was a very bad day (actually 96 hours, but no sleep so one day) You know you are in it when an H-53 rolls in stands on its A$$ dumping ammo crates out the back and the 50’s are running hot and heavy from the doors in BOTH directions. I still have both 357 Mag cases that were fired on that day when I went bingo ammo.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Craig6 I didn’t realize you were an ex-fighter pilot jock. :sunglasses:

1 Like

k
If it has wheels, wings, tracks or rotors I can drive it. Not well on some platforms but I’ve hit the ground several times and walked away which conceptually is a good thing . Bingo is a term used a lot in the military for a lot of reasons most of them bad. In general you are talking to someone @ 45K’ trying to express the level of poop you are in so it’s handy to use their words. “I am BINGO ammo” means something. You may not always get what you want but you get what you need (see what I did there :sunglasses:)

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes