Home Security Alarm Systems/Cameras

I have some wasps living above one of my outdoor cameras. They are horrifying waking across that lens. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

4 Likes

No joke, I was thinking about getting some geese for around the house. Romans used to use them as alarms and kept them around city walls. Also when raise with chickens, they make very good guard animals. Geese will also kill mice and rats. Then I started reading up on them. A few things made me change my mind.

1- geese are noisy and will raise a fuss at anything unusual. I’ve counted 10-12 buzzards and Turkey vultures in the air around my home at one time. With such a racket even in the middle of the day I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate them.

2- geese poop a lot! It seems they poop everywhere and it stains everything. Not only that but it appears dogs love it. Dogs love to eat it and roll in it. Washing the dog isn’t what I want to do every day.

3- they can live up to 25 years. I don’t think I have that many years left in me!

1 Like

If you go with the Geese, Don’t forget the Guard Donkey

1 Like

Hello, Has anyone had any recent experience for good or bad with home security camera systems? I currently have a ring camera front door, works great but I am looking to upgrade to 360 coverage.

I have my eye on a Lorex Fusion 4K (wired) system at Costco for going for $800. Although running wires may present itself as a difficult task, probably requires a pro install.

It would be great to hear what is working or not working for other.

1 Like

Here are some topics on that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Home Security Cameras - Miscellaneous - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

What kind of home security do you have? - Self-Defense - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

2 Likes

For starters, some friends just bought a doorbell with a camera which displays on their phone ap, less than $200. They bought a couple of outdoor solar powered motion detector lights.

I got a camera for my inside my car but some members here suggested more greater field of vision, if I expand my search, there are more affordable ones.

Do not get a system that depends on your internet connection! I have a Arlo system, we lost power and internet after a hurricane. Whole house generator kicked in, but cameras were still offline due to internet access being down. Now I have a system that is 100% local accsess and video storage. Alerts are still over the internet, but camera access is always available on my LAN.

1 Like

Thank you! that’s a great tip to look out for. I did not think that would be a vulnerability these days and assumed all cameras would still record. I know my ring will record when offline although you just can’t view anything until its reconnected.

I just got a notice of End of Life for my Arlo system. Cameras will not function after April 2023!

That sort of corporate control would make me very upset, not to even mention they are only giving you a 4-month prior notice!! That is really BS great way to lose a bunch of future customers. What year did you purchase your system?

Something like that tells me there could be a class action lawsuit coming if they truly just cut the cameras in 4 months unless they covered their rear in some buried pages of the terms & conditions that we never read.

Bought this at Costco 2017.
The EOL notice says the cameras will still record locally with added USB storage. I have this but it is totally unreliable. No way to view the videos without removing the drive and mounting it to another source for viewing. If you run out of space on the drive Arlo stops recording instead of recording over the oldest files like just about every other system does.
My local only system (Lorex) allows me to open my browser and review the overnight footage while I have my coffee. Video quality is not as good as the Arlo, but good enough.

Not sure if I can post a video to the community, but here is a link to a video from my Arlo system.
Caught the guy (long story), pressed charges…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16zr-pGbtiB5dpvGdyIpxHXhn1SDCv-43/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Thats good quality considering its nighttime but uggh, I don’t think I want to mess around with a system that is cut off by corporate on short notice. 5 years usage is not so bad just don’t like the fact they are forcing an upgrade, if anything they should be offering upgraded cameras at a membership rate and something compatible to swap out what you have.

After hearing your experience those Lorex 4K are sounding like the way to go.