High-tech home defense?

Technology can be a huge asset and a liability. Doorbells, such as the Ring, can help you protect your home, but they can also give away a lot of personal information.

Where do you draw the line when it comes to home defense technology?

3 Likes

What I want: the house to seal up tight, holding the perp in a very small cage/box, and provide only enough air to keep them alive until the heavily armed/trained cops come.

What I am willing to do (pay for), cameras in and out, but those dont’ stop anyone, they just provide video live and after the fact. I cant’ own enought to capture license plates from any angle, or faces from any angle. We do what we can.

And like everyone on here, we’re armed.

6 Likes

I’m good with cameras, they do exactly what they are made to do, they document the criminal act. Where I draw the line is when law enforcement asks/demands the video footage from everyone in the neighborhood after a crime was committed or when people post their security video footage on the web for entertainment.

6 Likes

I have a video camera doorbell and expect to add more cameras inside and outside, but I don’t advertise them. “Sorry, officer, my camera must have malfunctioned. I don’t have any footage from the date you are asking about.”

3 Likes

I usually get Will and Holly and we grab the large pointed stick and poke Grumpy in the eye…oh wait, that was an old episode of Land of the Lost. I feel that way some days, though. I have no high tech alarms, surveillance, etc., although I’ve considered it in the past. Anyone have a good, somewhat inexpensive suggestion?

Edit: I do have 2 dogs, so I guess I do have some biotech security.

3 Likes

Technology is great for home protection, but it has to be setup correctly, not easy way as most of installers offer these days.
Plug and play is fine but for Windows OS, not for security.
Cameras and all home automation used at my house are connected internally, no access to any cloud services.
If I need get in, only my device on particular IP address.
If information has to go out - push notification directly to my phone.

3 Likes

I’d love to have access to micro tracking devices that can be spread during a break-in. something that sticks multiple trackers on them. follow them go home and report to police.

once we thought our daughter’s phone was taken/stolen and tracked it to someone’s home. We called the police and they were about to dispatch and officer to that location. And then suddenly my daughter found her phone in the house. LOL that would have been very embarrassing. We now know not to trust that iPhone tracker app too closely

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m not too fond of anything that loses its value when there is a power or internet outage. That’s why I still read paperbacks.

I have one Ring doorbell camera, my first high-tech home security device, and have no plans of adding another one.

I have a Labrabull :dog:

3 Likes

iProducts are historically highly suspect of most things. Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve tracked my android a couple of times, the Find My Phone app I used was pretty much dead nuts on.

1 Like

Home security depends upon what level of security you want to have. I have a door alarm notification when the front door is opened. Then I have an alarm on the inner door that comes into the house. This works well at notifying me when I am home. I have a camera connected to my phone to notify me when motion is detected. This works for when I am at work. Motion detection lights light up the whole property when there is any motion,… even deer, racoons and trespassers! Windows are alarmed with a different sound than the doors so if a window is opened that sound notifies me it is a window. In the hallway to the bedroom I have a 100,000 lumen light that will strobe at any motion coming to the hallway. This is the basics of what I have and it is all basically low tech devices. Dead bolts and re-enforcements on the doors and I try to make the house look un-inviting as possible.
You do not have to go high tech to make your home secure. just remember on home invasions a pry bar is used on the door to gain entry. Anything you can do to make it harder for them to have to gain entry the better! Even getting through a windows,… do not make it easy for them! Everything you can do to slow them down will give you more time to protect yourself and your family.

2 Likes

Deadbolts, brains, and semi-auto. :innocent:

5 Likes

I guess our security is eyes and ears of family. In my zone we are all family that are close and live close. I would probably draw the line at cameras though. Those would be in use while we ar at home. Material things an be replaced. My brother once told me if someone was running away from him with his TV he would shoot the TV so they would have a useless piece of plastic. I told him make sure his aim is precise. Dont want hit the thief by accident

4 Likes

Even though I’m rural there is a local commercial security service available that is reliable, they include security for oil wells around the area. The monitoring continues even if the electric power is out. I’ve also included my own cameras and sensors around the property that covers very well. The dogs are pets and they will bark, maybe even growl.

2 Likes