How safe is your home?

How secure is your home? How easy is it for someone to get to your house without any notice? How well does your home say, Wrong house? Just like avoidance of a bad situation and escaping at home there is no escape, you are at home. I will tell you, I have trimmed the trees and bushes so there is no hiding around the house. The door is re-enforced with extra long screws in the door with an alarm on the door. Out side of the house there are motion detecting lights that light up the street around the house and cameras set up to cover the door way to the street and around the whole front of the house. Then if you get through the front door, I have a second door that is locked and alarmed also. By this time I will have plenty of time to call 9-1-1 and notify them.
We have our game plan on what if and still look to seek further steps that can be taken to make home more of a castle than just a dwelling. Face it, if you can not be safe at home than is it really a home?
I even talk to the neighbors and check with any concerns that they have so that we look out for each other.
The best tool for protection is a teenager, can they get in the house un- noticed? If you can foil them than you have it made! Make sure your toilet paper is safe and secure your home.

12 Likes

I live in a condo. Each building has 12 units, 6 on the first floor, 6 on the second. There is only 1 entrance per unit and the doors are on 3 sides, with the back of the buildings just tiny windows. I don’t like having only one exit, but that’s what it is. My unit faces the street, so it has decent lighting at night. Furthermore, in my case, my roommate/landlord is somewhat of a hoarder, so getting in the windows is all but impossible. We would have time to make dinner, call the cops, give them some dinner, and get the dishes done before you could make entry via a window. There’s also a crap-ton of buildings, so it’s pretty populated here.
Safety through obscurity is what I’d say. With so many units, the odds of a random home invasion are small, and further reduced by being a street-side unit.
I still keep a loaded firearm close at hand though. After all, evil lurks in the hearts of man, and if you’re not ready for it, you just might fall victim to it.

5 Likes

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and the neighbors look out for each other. That’s a good thing. As far as the house that I live in I installed 6 cameras, 2 outside and 4 inside which are hooked up to my cell phone. I feel safe. Oh and my old Pitt bull Cleo that if you pet her and give her food she will let you have anything you want. :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Live in a good neighborhood with one entrance by car. Yes people can walk in from many directions any I realize that.

Our backyard has a privacy fence. We have a screened in porch and keep the door locked. I know it really won’t slow anyone down but it is also not an invitation to come in. We have a camera mounted on the back porch so if you open the door the motion sensor on the camera will alert us before you get to the back door.

We have a camera on our garage that covers a good portion of our drive way. We keep the interior door locked coming in from the garage.

We have 2 cameras on the front porch. One that faces out from the house and one that covers across the porch more.

We also have a 120lb dog with a loud, deep bark.

We also keep the outside lights on.

Stay safe.
Marty

3 Likes

Very…

3 Likes

Entering or leaving all locks are latched. We heat sensitive and motion sensitive illumination that is solar powered ,Independent of house power for grid down deals Sounds sort of Hokie I know but we have drills for home invasion just like fire drills. That old saying practice makes perfect. No such thing as perfect because of the possible scenarios. One great thing is also we are very light sleepers. When at home and in we have additonal latching methods. Also when returning home we scan fro anything different or out of place to give away possible entry while we were gone

4 Likes

My sweet labrabull alerts me when there are people around the house who didn’t check in with her, whether by my front door or over the fence in my side yard.
I also have a Ring doorbell camera.
And to remove all doubt that perps picked the wrong house…

5 Likes

My house right now.

5 Likes

I forgot to mention our Killer Chiuaua

4 Likes

6 Likes

I think this is a better use of your funds than buying the latest self defense gun. Not letting the bad guy into the house is a lot better than letting them into the house then having to dig them out. A lot of people think housing clearing tactics and the latest gadgets are the key to a safe house. The item you listed above is the most important.
That being said I have sticker bushes around my windows that need to be trimmed. That’s not a issue in the summer but someone with a heavy coat can get around that.

4 Likes

Yeah, that works well. My kitty has a nice sniper rifle, and we don’t even get salespeople or them churchy folks coming around anymore. She does let the pizza folks through though.

sniper

7 Likes

Bought my house 13 years ago. The small front stoop was hidden by two large bushes. One day about four years ago I looked at this and said to myself that two BG could lurk in there and ambush me or my wife. Pulled the bushes out and put in a 250 gallon pond liner, a water fall and some goldfish. Anybody approaching the stoop from the front will find themselves in knee deep water which should dampen their enthusiasm for their evil deeds. Gotta look at the outside of your home for ambush spots. Don’t wait years like I did!!!

5 Likes

So basically you built a moat. :rofl:

4 Likes

I can’t laugh, very funny.

1 Like

Reasonably ready. I live on a thru street with a 440 vehicle daily traffic count (from the Regional Planning Commission). The road provides access to a large area including a nearby high crime area. Luckily I have good neighbors on the street and most of the crime is about a mile away. I’m signed up for the local police department crime tracking notification system so I know where the hot spots are. It doesn’t get bad until you literally cross the tracks. The problem is they cut through.

I’ve secured my doors and windows. Have video all around the house and floods. No one should get near without my knowledge day or night. I can also monitor the video while away which is common these days. I have several handguns secreted around the house, but within easy reach. Many may not consider this safe, but there are no children in the home and none visit without notice.

4 Likes

I am located in a country setting , my decision because I don’t like the city and its clutter. I am also 20 miles from a police station. Even if the police could travel at high speed, it would take 15 minutes to get here. THAT makes me responsible for protecting my loved ones and self. Not every one has a perfect life and perfect protection. Now we are having to put up with joey, kamala and the rest of the “perfect leaders” ( I made a JOKE) to provide protection for some one other than themselves. WAKE UP AMERICA.

2 Likes

Are those lawn ornaments available on Amazon? Bet they work better than ADT signs and camerasđź‘ż
Two legged creatures should understand that elections, I mean choices have consequences.
I do consider my home fairly well fortified due to the natural disasters that arrive yearly! From impact windows and doors to outdoor lighting that can be seen by the ISS (International Space Station) on a clear night!
Double deadbolts on all exterior doors and thorny shrubs at windows! For some added charm, size 13 muddy, concrete encrusted boots at front door!

2 Likes

Dead end private road, 2nd to last house, general appearance says redneck (presently), signs up, no trespassing, no parking, etc…

From a friend of sorts, who I didn’t know at the time (small world kind of thing), he, as a locator, had to come up and knock on the door… From his point of view, he told me of this redneck type home he had to knock on the front door recently, a place he kept his head down so it would not appear like he was looking the place over, knocked and quickly left after no one came to the door.

Later it was found out through talking, he was at my house…

Make it through the locked door, ignore the signs, a resident that is home 24hrs a day, up at the most random hours (gamer) along with an attack dog. This gamer had a spare pistol and pump shotgun, both with 1 in the tube, 147gr JHP or 2/3oz high velocity sabot slug ready to go down the hallway…

Few security cameras, wired with DVR and no internet and streaming cameras with motion detect storage…

2 Likes