Low-tech Home Defense?

Kevin had some great home defense ideas in the movie Home Alone! What low-tech ideas do you have in place to defend your home?

What low-tech methods do you have for home defense? What was your favorite trick Kevin used in Home Alone?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen treble hooks tied on spider wire fishing line painted to match trim on window sills. Not my idea or use, ouch.

2 Likes

A 14 Oz claw hammer, in an open tool bag in the closet close to my bed.

2 Likes

Security system stickers on windows.
Debolts.
General path of furniture ā€” thereā€™s always something to go around.
(Should I plug my book hereā€¦ nay)

2 Likes

My favorite low tech home defense is my dogā€¦ :slight_smile:

I wonā€™t comment further since I hate the movie (both I and II) and the rest of the family loves it so I have to suffer through it several times during the Christmas seasonā€¦I meanā€¦cā€™mon you leave/lose the kid twice???

And to not to be too ā€œGrinchyā€ wouldnā€™t everything he set up be considered a ā€œboobytrapā€ that could cause fatal harm and as such illegal in most States? I cans of paint swinging throw the air? Nail boards strategically placed? Ba hum bugā€¦ :unamused:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

You have a book? :smiley:

You have a book? :smiley:

1 Like

We have battery powered motion lights all around our house. 2"X2"X20" piece of lumber in each window corner so they cannot be pried open. Sharpened nails driven into our cheap below ground basement window frames. Beefed up entry door frames and locks. A dog who knows itā€™s his job to let us know if he sees, smells or hears someone or something.

3 Likes

We have a Terriorist K-9 Early Warning System as well as a daughter who teaches kick-boxing.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodquail-Shield-Bamboo-Defense-Bedside/dp/B00OXVHJLU

2 Likes

Out of stock. Must have sold out in England, France and Hong Kong.

1 Like

My idea of ā€˜low-techā€™ (read ā€˜cheapā€™) home defense is a hardwood 2x6" used as a door bar (front door). The brackets would be secured using 3/8" carriage bolts through the door frame. The rear door is nailed shut. Windows are a problem, they are old style single-hung, and vulnerable. I am working on that.

1 Like

Been watching a lot of physical security pen testing.

Get some Door Hinge Security Pins. They are cheap and protect you from someone popping the bolts out of hinges.

4 Likes

Dog! Low tech, lots of slobber!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Oh my dog would probably try to make friends with an intruder :joy:ā€¦ but they donā€™t know that, he has a scary bark too. He might drown them in slobber :joy:. Having a dog might just make someone think twice before they make the very bad decision to break into my house.

You want a fun video about dogs and home defense Dogs Tested to See Whether Theyā€™d Defend Owner During Home Invasion - YouTube

2 Likes

The standard cut wood in the sliding door tray. Better than nothing with the purpose of slowing a would-be intruder down. Iā€™m also looking at the Armor Max metal door jam plates.

1 Like

To your point the frame of the door is weak and the armor Max is designed to account for that by basically reinforcing the wood with steel plates and it includes long screws too. Itā€™s better than relying on the wood frame, short screws, or long screws alone.

1 Like