Slowing down a Home Invasion

There has been a lot of discussion on home invasions, fortifying your home, or things to do to protect your home throughout these different posts.

I have not seen any other discussion using door stops, but I have always wondered about the fragile doors, so I have been using door stops in my home for years. My theory is that if someone kicks in the door lock, the door stop will kick in and jam the door long enough for me to gain enough time to get to a firearm. My wife might think I am crazy, but I have also taken a door stop on our trips and used them on the hotel rooms.

A door stop may not keep someone out, but it seems to me they would have to start working on the hinge side if the door stop works well. Again, giving you time to get to your firearm, or a safer place in the house.

Could also be used if you open the door to someone where the stop is just back a little. I would have it positioned so I could answer the door, but still there in case they are not friendly and tried to force their way in. If they did try it theoretically should jam and give you time to get away. I have been fortunate to have not had a chance to test this but thought I would throw it out here for others to discuss.

I have also found on the internet a door stop that has a very loud siren when bumped. I have this at the back door which may not stop someone from getting in, but would make a lot of noise when they attempt it.

Has anyone else done this, or thought about this? Curious what others think about this.

9 Likes

I like the idea of door stops with alarms, as an added alert. It can definitely give you another level of and advantage, but can also deter anyone who may wish to come into your home and steal or do you harm.

5 Likes

I have the alarm door stops on the right, they work well if your door is close to the floor.
The two pics is how I have ours set up, the ring can be put on before you open the door and the one above the original locks is a strong backup, all have 3 1/2in. screws.
On the screen door I have 2 large hook and eye latches glued in place anyone would pull the screen door handle off trying to enter. :us:

3 Likes

My first line of defense is a metal screen door.
Also, anyone who comes in front of it gets my labrabull’s attention.
Those two should give me precious seconds to react appropriately.

3 Likes

I bought one of these for my kid when she was in an apartment. They help prevent the simple break in method of just turning around and kicking the sole of your foot against the lower part of the door.

4 Likes

We use this guy, he’s made of cast pot metal and weighs around 8-10 pounds. When the door open and slides it along the floor it makes a lot of noise it’s also really top heavy so it tips over very easily making an even bigger sound. We can hear it through the whole place, giving us time to react to an unwanted entry also, hopefully, the sound would be a deterrent to the perp.

3 Likes

I have an alarm on my doors. Each one makes a different sound so I know what entry way is being used. I also have the windows that are accessible alarmed but they are double locked. One latch and an aluminum bar. I was thinking of adding one of these too!

I just moved in my own apartment, I bought 2 Phillip doorstop alarms because due to my lease agreement I can’t hang anything up even with adhesive. I bought one for the front door and I have another I put in front of my bedroom door because I’m a heavy sleeper. I’d hope it wake me up.

2 Likes

I use one of these.

1 Like

Don’t forget the simple tennis ball or two in the yard along with a dog food and water bowl outside your front and back door. This WILL slow down or totally deter a break in.

2 Likes

I prefer to STOP the home invasion. Agreed, these are placed outside the door, why ruin a good door? FYI they stop national invasions as well!
Manufacturer guarantees to stop all thugs in a 15 meter radius.

This slows the highest of IQ thugs!

6 Likes

Messing with these at motels, my observations are:

• resisting force — the screws you use & what you have to screw into are key;
  • announcing force — crashing them will make more noise & pause after main locks are defeated;
  • resisting finesse — readily undone with a bit of wire from outside if recognized by intruder (maybe depending on install details).

To me they seem best suited to slowing a “push-in” invasion attempt after opening door to a stranger — once door is pushed to the retainer limit, the followup crash provides you a moment to backpedal away from the door to a better defensive posture. Or you could use a different approach to greet strangers. :wink:

3 Likes

Do you need land mines :poop: and a destroyed lawn, or are just the :tennis: :tennis: enough?
:innocent:

5 Likes

These are awesome, however they need to be adjusted properly and the foot needs to be cleaned often. In my previous home I used them. Newer home has 3 1/2 inch screws and deadbolts on every door. The doors are also less flimsy. Windows though are an entirely different story, I have glass break sensors on ALL of them.

Screws like this are really good for mounting door hinges and dead bolts.

6 Likes

They look like great screws for striker plates and hinges. The issues with “door edge” security devices are:

• door thickness limits how long your screw can be;
  • even “solid-core” doors may be filled with wood or fiber products having almost no pull-out resistance to threads;
  • the jamb-side part may not be far enough from the opening to reach building framing, and a pre-hung door jamb/frame will not be of very strong wood, either.

I think ordinary residential construction materials and methods will not be strong enough for “door edge” security devices to offer more than discouragement for lost drunks or a brief delay to a determined entry.

All this stuff is useful in discouraging different levels of determination, but a truly secure house may not be livable — pick your preference and plan around the vulnerabilities.

1 Like

Thats where my skills come in to work having construction and remodeling experience. I agree with you;

2 Likes

A waste of time and money

Similar device.

4 Likes

My grandmother in law was in New York City in a motel years ago. Her daughter was in the room next door. Grandma wasn’t responding. They called security. Security unlocked the main locked, pushed the door open as far as they could with this kind of lock engaged, pulled it back shut and threw it right open easily defeating these things. She was fine, just didn’t hear people trying to get ahold of her.

1 Like