Thinking about getting a Simplisafe alarm

There has been 3 break in on my street in the last few weeks and thinking about getting a Simplisafe Alarm system for my house. Has anyone here gotten one and if so do you like or dislike it? I already have a alarm system but the contract expired and it wasnt that good of a system.

1 Like

Simply Safe is a great system if you have power and if the bad guys don’t have the tec to jam your Wi-Fi, which most don’t. It relies on Wi-Fi and Cell Tower Service. That being said analog or even digital systems all have a weak link similar to simply safe but instead of transmitted it is wires or fiber (Fios). So if a bad guy want’s in and he scans your house for a Wi-Fi device and doesn’t find one he snips your phone/cable connection and the net result is the same. Any connected system is at the mercy of the connection, break the connection and the safety is gone. Monitoring has it’s advantages in that if your Wi-Fi suddenly shuts down the cell tower is still in place and there is an alarm for that. Simply Safe covers a lot of bases and is significantly easier to install and or set up and will take care of 95% of bad guys. If your needs are extreme then you would need to call a serious alarm company and that will cost you. I design and install Burglar Alarm systems on the professional level and for generic security Simply Safe is a good option but it is not boolit proof. Know the limitations of what you buy and decide if it is enough.

The Simply Safe “Tower” is essentially a modem to connect to all of your sensors via Wi-Fi and if you opt for monitoring it is a “phone” via a cell tower connection. If you add camera’s it is an additional fee because you are uploading to the cloud for storage unless you have a home server with data storage and you have to figure that out on your own.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Since I think most of the breakins are junkies looking for a easy score here I doubt they have high tech stuff. Its not like my house is Maxine Waters 6 million dollar mansion. And your points are taken. Nothing can keep a person out of your house if they really want in unless you turn the house into a bunker with MG ports, mine fields and barbed wire. The shame is we are living in a day and age when you have to consider bars on your windows, alarms and guns to protect your stuff. Oh for the 1970s when you could leave your front door unlocked and sleep on the porch on hot summer nights.

3 Likes

I hear you brother but I remember sleeping on the front porch because it was cooler than being in the house because we didn’t have AC. In your case I would look at something that has audible alarms as well as video. Good cameras are not cheap but it provides “after the fact” info. There are many other options for notification, the world is your oyster when it comes to alarms and such.

If you are worried about Big Brother I would caution you to pay attention to “Who bought who” as several alarm monitoring companies have been absorbed into Alphabet (Google). Additionally some camera’s have a bad tendency to “phone home” to China. I’m really not paranoid but they do that stuff and more and more security firms are having to deal with hardware “calling home”, it is a thing. I just got a contract to replace every camera in a corporate head quarters because some data security guru followed some packet sent from a camera through the corp. sever back to China which of course means China is now INSIDE the server for this company. Blew right through one of the most sophisticated firewalls I have ever seen.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

We have these systems at work, at home and I just recently had them installed at church, with the all important panic buttons! Do for sure invest in this! They are easy to install and work every time.
Use the promo code RUSH or BECK and those tend to have some nice discounts.

2 Likes

Thought it was cellular ( not wired or home wi fi

1 Like

It is cellular, except the live camera feeds. Those are wifi.

1 Like

We have had our system for several years and love it. The evaluation provided by @Craig6 is spot on. The system was easy to install and set up. Dollar for dollar, I believe it is as good, or better, than any of the three-letter systems out there with expensive monitoring contracts (no long-term contract required). The sad reality is that any alarm only helps keep an honest person honest. Someone hellbent on breaking in and stealing your valuables will still do so; but an alarm with high decibel sirens and monitoring will help keep an addict (or other undesirables) out of your house as it’s no longer an “easy” target.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember when the cloud was hacked and hundred of people’s personal photos were uploaded including celebrities. That’s my fear with those security systems. There are stories of baby monitors being hacked and strangers communicating through the speakers. I am just worried about someone prying into my life, unlocking my doors, looking through my cameras, etc. I like the idea of these systems but there’s pros and cons of everything. Yea it’s cheaper but the hackers… or China…

And then the ones that don’t have any connection to the cloud and are hard wired like @Craig6 was saying are better but more expensive and require physical wiring that can be cut if not secured properly.

I personally do not know which one is better for me either. This is a good thread and I’ll be following it.

1 Like

The camera has a mechanical cover that automatically opens and shuts. So no one can see you even if hacked. You will HEAR and SEE that the lens cover is either in place or not in place.

Or, you can order the system without any cameras.

3 Likes

I would worry less about the cloud getting hacked and more about your Wi-Fi as that is a much easier encryption to break. If someone is going to hack a cloud storage the last thing they are looking for is 48 hours of your front door and the mail man. I’m not real worried about the 5% of criminals with the smarts to hack/jam my Wi-Fi or Cell signal, it’s the 95% of the rest of them that I can effectively stop or at least make it difficult enough that I will know they are there. I do not subscribe to “Smart” anything as they are as dumb as the information that they get. Me personally I use not only the electronic systems but mechanical methods that are as old as I am. A 3/4" dowel cut to fit my windows with a couple layers of tape on both ends to make it nice and snuggly.

When I had new energy efficient doors installed I had the installers mount a piece of 3/16" X 4" steel plate to BOTH sides of the frame and then I drilled and tapped two out of the three holes on the hinges for machine screws to the plate and the remaining screw is 4" long through the plate into the studs. The plate is also screwed down with more 4" screws. Cutting the hole for the dead bolt and door knob was a bit more fun but a Dremel tool will get you there. They were getting paid by the hour and didn’t mind watching me work. Talk to any SWAT Team Breacher and they will tell you never go in on the lock side, just go after the hinge side. Food for thought.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Larry357.
cobra3 (2)

1 Like

Honestly… Thank you for the reply. I keep having to remind myself that the majority of criminals are stupid and don’t have the ability to crack through a firewall security system, hack the locks, and have the skill to break into a safe. The main breakins are the front door getting kicked in. I do have 4" screws on both sides of the door. I live in a 3rd floor apartment so windows aren’t necessarily a problem unless they bring a 30’ ladder or are into extreme parkour.

I know when I buy a house it’ll be different and after what you’ve said I’ll have the simple security system that uploads to the cloud. I’ll also do the standard mechanical systems i.e. 4" screws in all doors, deadbolts, door latch, window dowels, and door stops.

Thank you

2 Likes