Gun Inventory

I’ve decided it is time for me to do an inventory of my gun collection. This would be for insurance and I’m thinking about doing an Excel spreadsheet, but am wondering if there is one “out there” already. I also wonder about any commercial database-type software. I’m not an FFL dealer, so I don’t need anything too elaborate.

Do any of you fellow gun enthusiasts have an inventory or info that may help me in my quest?

2 Likes

I have a simple Word document that I list the manufacturer, model and serial number. It could be done with Excel if you wanted along with additional information.

I keep my list in separate places in case something should happen i can access it from just about anywhere.

7 Likes

Capture

This what Mine looks like, very simple. I recommend having good pictures of all of your items, both sides and make sure the S/N’s are legible on the pics.

8 Likes

Make everything easy. Don’t build super database just for inventory.
Excel / Word table is a good thing.

I do it differently. For me the most important are paperwork and pictures and this is what you mostly need .
I have a separate folder for each firearm and I keep copies of every document related to the firearm and pictures of it.
Serials number needed the most is on purchase or transfer receipt plus on the pictures.

7 Likes

There is a form called “Personal Firearms Record - Form P3312.8”. This may or may not suffice for insurance, but it will contain the information necessary to satisfy DOJ if you have to file a stolen or lost firearm report. Separate from this I have a photo inventory (MS Word or PowerPoint works well). Two pix of each firearm - overall and the serial number. After creating these documents, I filed them in my safe and erased/deleted/scrubbed them from my computer.

9 Likes

This. I used that form as a model for an Excel spreadsheet and expanded to include fields like when/where bought and when/where sold. I have pics of everything and I never dispose of paperwork like receipts and such.

7 Likes

XLS w/serial numbers. I just send that to the insurance.

5 Likes

Good idea saving info electronically.
I started with a paper record and lost track of where I kept it.

Keep it simple. As for me, what my CCW permit requires to be listed means they’re the minimum relevant data to keep
Manufacturer, serial number, caliber, and model

5 Likes

If you have a sportsmans warehouse near you, they have firearm records books for free that have all of the relevant information you need for insurance of to keep a record an case if loss to fire or theft. I keep a copy of all of them in two different places in case of a house fire.

5 Likes

I use something similar to what @Enzo_T mentioned. I have a printout and 2 photos of each firearm. I also keep a record of what accessories I have on each firearm and the receipts for the accessories.

Then a copy of all records stored in separate fireproof safes (3).

5 Likes

I read this at first and just thought a simple Excel file with relevant data would be good. Somebody above mentioned PowerPoint and that’s a great idea, as you can have one asset per slide with relevant information and you can paste in pictures of the asset as well as receipts very easily. I may actually do that myself, great idea.

Edit: Great idea Larry

6 Likes

You know, that’s an interesting idea…. I might need to create a test term plate to see how it works out. Thanks!

5 Likes

Photos can be inserted (and resized and/or rotated if desired) in both Excel and Word as well if you don’t want to copy and paste all your existing data into PowerPoint …

3 Likes

What is the value of the photo?

3 Likes

To substantiate the serial number, the existence of the firearm in your possession, and because it looks cool!

6 Likes

There was an app for that. It let you text the info to a cop’s phone if a gun did get stolen. I think it was called gunsafe, but I don’t remember for sure.

3 Likes

We had a deal with an insurance company regarding some tools and equipment stolen from our garage. It was pictures, not necessarily, of the equipment but you could see the generator and saw in the background that sealed the deal.

4 Likes

And if I send them a pic of someone else’s firearm, on purpose or in error?

3 Likes

Really! It’s mine, it was right here yesterday…

3 Likes

Send to who? Why?

2 Likes