How do you keep track of how many rounds you put down range in a particular gun?

I see ppl here saying they’ve put X amount of rounds through this gun, X through this one, etc. what do you do, keep a small note pad with every gun? I usually only go out to practice a particular drill to expand my ability and accuracy. Then try to set up time to a consistent practice time, usually with 22LR, and only every cpl months or more with my EDC. F’ing ammo is expensive to practice very often with EDC.

2 Likes

I log everything, on everything. Bikes. Cars. Firearms. And so much more! (There’s something seriously wrong with me!)

I keep an Excel workbook with a tab for each firearm so I can track rounds, barrel cleaning, and full cleaning (along with other misc notes I may find useful in the future like what scope/sight on each). I also note mags I have for it, etc.

Top row removed for s/n and purchase info.

The same for ammo, training, targets, etc.

7 Likes

Some people keep a diary of each gun and that’s a good way to keep track. Also firearms logs which you can just put into a note pad. Some people may just write down only malfunctions that occur. I have never kept track but it’s not a bad idea to do so.

6 Likes

@Brad
That is a great example :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Hahaha, you sound like some engineers that I know. Are you ABET certified? Only in fun my friend.

4 Likes

I should be certified!

5 Likes

I just have a simple word document with the guns lists, and after a range trip I update it to add about the number I fired that day. I usually remember, and/or I take some pictures quick with my phone of the boxes/mags to remind me. Rounding is fine by me

2 Likes

I shoot 4,000 to 6,000 rounds a year, depending on how much I compete. I’m already over 1,000 this year… But I don’t keep records on individual guns.

3 Likes

Are you in QA?

1 Like

I’m in everything, but focused on improvement work at an enterprise level.

3 Likes

I found that fun and challenging when I was allowed to do it. Then my company was bought out with our own money so to speak and put a stop to that.

3 Likes

Damn Brad, I thought I was all Cool and everything. :astonished:

I keep track of ammo inventory. I’ve never tried to keep a count of how many through witch gun.

When I grow up I want to be just like Brad.

3 Likes

A CCW instructor suggests logging every range trip activity.

2 Likes

The stories I could tell you…

2 Likes

I’m too lazy to log everything…and prefer to read books, not write them. :slightly_smiling_face:

I count rounds based on purchase invoices.

3 Likes

From about the time I started shooting, I realized there was going to be a lot of record keeping if I wanted to stay on top of everything (firearms, ammo, cleaning, etc.). I found a very capable and free app for my iPhone called “Gun Log SPC.” It’s essentially a relational database with a bunch of pre-loaded values, and the ability to add more.

I’ve logged every gun I own, every shot I’ve ever taken with each. All my range sessions are captured, each cleaning of each firearm. I can tell you at a moment’s notice how many rounds of any caliber I have, including the manufacturer, weight, and cost-per-round (yes, I have 40 rounds of Blazer 25 ACP, 50 gr. on hand).

3 Likes

And now apple knows all about you

2 Likes

I’d never use an app for anything personal. Raymond is right, and these companies have shown that they’re okay sharing your info without asking you.

7 Likes

I keep a log book to write down some basic, simple information: Reason for range visit (what do I want to accomplish/learn & how will I do it; rounds fired at each distance with results - generally diameter of spread - plus results from shot timer); did I accomplish my goal?; lessons learned for next visit/training plan update). KISS approach. I also update my ammo inventory after each visit (on a secure spreadsheet in a non-networked laptop).

5 Likes

I’m not a big spreadsheet fan. Especially now that I’ve accepted some at home work that mostly seems to be dealing with spreadsheets!

I buy most my ammo by the case so have a loose count of what I’ve shot by the number of cases I’ve gone through and the percentage I’ve been using specific firearms in the same caliber. Very approximate but close enough to know when it is getting around time to give things an an extra thorough cleaning and inspection or replace the recoil spring etc.

3 Likes