Range Book/Journal

Did any of you also make a Range Book, or daily journal about weapons and training?
I have a spiral note book that I write in each day at least something. “Did nothing” is actually valid here. I prefer to use pen or pencil and paper, not an app.
I include things like… trigger control drills, dry fire, laser targeting, if I go to the range, videos watched, guns I want, cleaning my weapons, purchases, etc. ANYTHING related to firearms, I document/journal. I also include lessons I learned, mistakes I am making, how to correct them, what I learned at the range or a forum, what my goals are, etc.
When I practice any skill (trigger control for example) I document the time spent, not the quantity. Because sometimes I slow down to try and correct an error I have been making. It is not a race to me. It us all about muscle memory.
Then, every now and then I just sit and read my past entries. It’s funny how fast we can forget the past. I even document that I reviewed my Range Book. I simply learn again.
Anyone else do this?

4 Likes

Wow, that’s some dedication.

I watch training videos and review articles pretty much daily, I’d be constantly writing. I’m not very good at that kind of thing. My brain just isnt wired that way. I do very much enjoy writing what’s on my mind, think blog not diary.

3 Likes

Yes, and I typically review the last few pages prior to my next range session just as a refresher of what I need to work on or what different process seemed to work my last few range sessions.

I go back further when I want to review something I learned in an actual class/training led by and instructor.

I’ve had it for over a year and half now.

3 Likes

I’m a writer in general…

Therefore, I tend to jott a lot down. Some of what I write down, I don’t use, but it’s there if I’m in need of the information.

1 Like

There are people in this industry, and people in the legal representation business who suggest folks memorialize their training, be it book research, seminars, range time, operational training, with equipment used, time spent, rounds down range, things learned and to be given more study… as an item toward the defense tool kit they’d have on hand to choose to deploy.

I, who am nobody and know next to nothing, sometimes wonder if this could be equivalent to a double edged, out the front knife one has because of an imagined scenario/response plan. Yes it could be the perfect tool to save your life and that of people you know. But would it also be more difficult to defend, presented to a jury without a lot of professional testimony to acquaint and familiarize these folk to the necessities of self defense, for a thoughtful effective response to deadly threat?

Then again, folks who shoot the games or engage in long distance marksmanship know how many rounds through a weapon to know when to change the springs, firing pin components, and barrels! Just sayin…

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea. It is a heavy lift to diary a lot of stuff I do/read each day, but what a cool idea to track your journey into the subject. I can think of another use for such a journal, too. In the event you have to defend yourself, it’s evidence of the education and training you’ve done, which could save your bacon by showing you’re not just some yahoo with a gun. Your defense attorney will thank you.

I do keep a journal of sorts, just not daily. I use an app called GoodNotes primarily on my iPad. If I’m brainstorming, documenting range performance, keeping a useful link, etc., it’s all right there at my fingertips. I took an armorer’s course a few months back, and GoodNotes was invaluable for taking snapshots and annotating everything step-by-step. Much better than the manufacturer’s training material.

3 Likes

Here’s a sampling from my from today’s entry…….

Saturday Oct 26, 2019: Dear range journal…I need to suck less…:angry:

Range targets are forthcoming over on the “Humble Brag” thread (although there won’t be much to brag about, maybe I can get some good tips).

1 Like

Okay, that could potentially be used against you in court. :rofl:

3 Likes

Very true…good thing the actual entry has context and details and even my “suck” is still above CCW qualifications for most states; :slight_smile:

So more about me pushing myself to try keep doing better and improving.

4 Likes

I have my zero written down so if I change irons on my rifle I can at least get close before actually zeroing new sights.

2 Likes

Simple tool for iphone which can include photos of target. ‎Range Book on the App Store

2 Likes

I have two parts to this. I keep a bullet journal (no pun intended) and one of the things I track is carrying (checked almost every day) and if I did any training that day

Then I have web app that I wrote in which I track range trips, ammo inventory, firearms details, etc.

2 Likes

@Zee @Dawn Question: If I have a book named “Diary” isn’t that an expectation of privacy and protected under the 5th amendment?

1 Like

@Sully_LST does it have a tiny key you can keep on a chain around your neck? :innocent::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Zee Hmmm. Not ready for that kind of commitment.

1 Like