How do you keep track of how many rounds you put down range in a particular gun?

I don’t think I keep track of almost anything because if I do or have I forget where I put it.

4 Likes

Appreciate it. Hadn’t thought about the legalities and security of having such data on one’s computer, God forbid, if ever investigated after a sentinel event per se.

I like the KISS styles. I keep a little note book pad and pen in my range bag, to take notes during my range time, such as which ammo was better and why, and how a firearm worked well or not. Then once home, I tend to transfer highlights from paper to an electronic file.

At first glance, harmless data, but I need to think more about the data I keep electronically.

Hey, here’s an off shoot topic (no pun intended), perhaps more suited for range time topics; But I once saw someone at a range laying down a couple of towels on that much used front bench where we tend to lay our firearms forward before and after shooting. They used very bright colored towels. I ask them why, and they said so that they can see better at what they have, and for cleanliness. I’m gonna try it.

2 Likes

After 40 years in the tool making and quality field, with management, prototype and experimental work on the F22 and 35, and dealing with Boeing, Rolls Royce, Army, Navy , NADCAP, NASA,Pratt and Whitney, GE, and most of our aviation freight and people haulers, most of the time as a first article/first piece inspector, OEM and O&R, recording every dimension to .0001"…

I DON’T COUNT MY ROUNDS 'CUZ I DON’T CARE!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Retirement rawks🤙

5 Likes

It’s a good idea to keep a range diary on every gun you own - gun, date, number of rounds, etc. Don’t know if the trade-in value is affected, but I’ve always likened it to the mileage on a car. I’d save the end tabs on the ammo box and write the date I finished it, as well, as a cross-reference.

3 Likes

If they harvest the data from every app in their library, maybe they do. Of course, that’s a total privacy policy violation, but hey what’s privacy anyway? The NSA has all of our conversations, voice and text, and iRobot has layouts of our homes, and Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and Discover know how much broccoli you buy in a month, and Google knows everywhere you travel and can predict when you’ll be somewhere next.

3 Likes

There is a thread somewhere in here talking about the government capturing firearm serial numbers from photographs posted on line…scary stuff. As far as that shooting bench goes, you would be horrified at the amount of lead and other stuff that builds up there over the course of a day’s shooting.

4 Likes

You wrote my post.

1 Like

Log book, journals, dope book, whatever you want to call’em, I keep one with each firearm. I took more interest in how many rounds went through my barrel than how many oil changes in my car!

I’ve kept it old school, pencil and paper!

3 Likes

I thought I was the only one! I keep them for the lot # in the event of an accident with the ammo.

2 Likes

Yup… thats pretty much me too.

3 Likes

I trade in my pistol for a new one after each range session​:wink::rofl:
I was forgetting to update my spreadsheet.

4 Likes

@Brad >>

I’m with you, Jerzy. I don’t keep a log. But, what I actually do is mentally keep track of boxes of bullets used. Hubby and I go to the range weekly (when we can). I take 3 guns (cause I’m lazy and don’t want to spend hours cleaning when we get home). Usually, one of my EDC guns, one of my larger caliber guns, and a 22 for plinking.
For the first two, I two boxes of bullets for each (100 rounds), for the 22 we have several large buckets we purchased on sale. If the target shooting goes well with a particular gun, I’ll stop at one box. If it’s not going well, I’ll probably shoot two boxes. I also only load five rounds per magazine. That gives me practice on smooth mag changes and allows me to not have a box with only one or two rounds. The 22 is when we just have fun plinking. We shoot most often at an outdoor range and shoot at shards of clay pigeons left behind by shotgunners.
Then we go home and I forget all about how many rounds, but can figure it out easily if I’m so inclined.

4 Likes

Some may seem tedious, but absolutely love the record keeping. From a potential manufacturer defect, business accounting, training & improvement etc. Alot can benefit from it. Keep it up! :+1:t3::us:

2 Likes

I’m weird, I love tracking stuff with spreadsheets.
Rounds through an individual gun.
Range days.
Rounds on hand.
Cost of ammo.
Cost of ammo through each gun.
Record of training (actual paid classes)

1 Like

In an ideal world I’d just tear off an end flap from each 50 rd box of ammo burned.
Of course, I don’t live in a perfect world :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What would you do with those end flaps? Shoot that box in only one gun, and then store the end flaps in a spot dedicated to that particular firearm?

1 Like

I suppose I don’t understand the need to keep track. The ammunition cost to wear out a firearm is several times the cost of the firearm. Are people concerned with springs or other parts wearing out? If so replace them on even years or years in increments of five. All this is coming from someone who drives a truck with over 300,000 miles on the odometer.
Honestly I’m curious to why someone would keep track???

2 Likes

Some reasons I track

*If I sell the gun, I want to give a fair representation of rounds fired (I’m not rich enough to never sell a gun)
*In case a spring replacement schedule arrives. Thousands of rounds through one gun, might get to that point
*So that I can quantitatively evaluate its reliability. If a gun has a malfunction, I want to document exactly what type of malf it was, with what ammo, with what magazine, and I want to know how many rounds were fired vs malfunctions experienced.

3 Likes

Many reasons for me.

• It is I way I can ensure I’m shooting and enjoying all of them.
  • I do not clean every trip, so I can tell if I shot 10 rounds or 1000 rounds since the last cleaning.
  • It feeds the ammo tab, so I know what I have left (helps me plan a range trip and what to bring) by caliber/brand/weight/etc.
  • And I’m sure more!