Photos of Your Firearms

As we started discussing in NOTICE: Facebook And Google Indexing Your Firearm Serial Numbers, Facebook and Google will index your firearms by their serial number.

While this is frustrating, there are ways around it.

• Don’t take a picture of your firearm
  • Take a picture of the side of the firearm that doesn’t have the serial number
  • Cover the serial number on your firearm for pictures you’ll post on social media

I do have pictures of my firearms with their serial numbers clearly shown - but they’re not posted on social media. They’re in a file with all of my insurance information.

What other reasons do you have photos of your firearms? Where do you keep those photos?

9 Likes

I have photos of family out on the range with some of our weapons, but nothing close enough that would show a serial number.

I have a picture of my firearms safe, but again no serial numbers. Stored on google photos…maybe I need to go in and delete?

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter. It’s too late for this. Once you save it there, it stays there forever.
You actually won’t delete the file, just pointer to this file, so it can be retrieved in future (not for you of course) :grimacing:

2 Likes

I feel the sudden need to sale all my guns………

:worried:

2 Likes

With most cell phones backing up pictures to the cloud it wouldn’t be a big step for Google to scan photos you didn’t post as well. This will put a damper on the collector community, photos and serial numbers are a big part of those discussions.

1 Like

@JamesR PM me.

Lol

4 Likes

Tragic :sailboat: accidents are happening alot this year. I fear El Nino has really changed the climate and made :sailboat: hazardous with firearms on board.

2 Likes

Indeed…:rofl:

3 Likes

I’m huge about not sharing pictures and if I do they don’t have the serial number…

I’m like @Dawn, If I do have picures with serial numbers it’s for insurance purposes and, I don’t share with the world.

3 Likes

Because I don’t currently have a girlfriend or dog.

9 Likes

In general I think it’s a really bad idea to put photos of your firearms on line or to list what you own other than in very general terms.

Both the gov’t and criminals can potentially use them against you in the future.

4 Likes

I also have a darker one. [Still… no girlfriend]

4 Likes

LOL! That’s an awesome response, @TexasEskimo!

4 Likes

I have photos of the serial numbers saved within my “notes” on my phone just in case any are ever stolen. That is the only reason I have them stored on my phone. I am very cautious about posting them online in general just due to way social media is and the knee jerk reactions employers or potential employers have.

3 Likes

Tragic canoeing trip…rollover in the canoe and they all got swept away in the river…:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I would suggest printing them out in case of the accidental destruction of your phone. I’ve heard of phones being flushed, dropped in port-a-potties, flying off the roof of the car, dropped on the floor… the list goes on. Having a hard copy of the photos stored somewhere can be incredibly helpful.

I have photos of my firearms (side w/o serial numbers) in a document and then in a separate document I have a list of serial numbers for all of the important things covered by my insurance with a simple code indicator of what each item really is.

5 Likes

I have this app.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gun-log/id443611628
love it

2 Likes

I’d argue that you still need paper at the range, @Laura … for your targets :wink: I’m not shooting at my phone. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll check out that app though. :smiley:

5 Likes

uh. yep.
uscca app covers reciprocity. but I have a ccw app well.
Id be in trouble w/o my phone

3 Likes

I don’t have a dog or a girlfriend, either. My wife has a dog!

5 Likes