Photos of Your Firearms

I think I’m not keeping a log of firearms on my phone… what if someone steals the phone? what if it gets hacked?

Various parts of the gvt have quite a lot of information about what I have - state of CA, FFLs, background checks - and I can’t do much about that. I will be more alert about SNs on photos now this has been pointed up… and we do have an inventory. But I just don’t want that inventory on my phone or online in the cloud.

3 Likes

@MikeBKY Mike you have two great kids so out of that it was a good thing. All is good. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @Robert8! I have 2 great kids and a great wife! She wouldn’t be too fond of me having a GF!

3 Likes

Yes so true Mike @MikeBKY Happy Wednesday :jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

25 years ago, all my collection was stolen while I was on vacation. American family insurance had such a reduction in value that I was unbelievably screwed there, I did have all the serial numbers, and gave them to the local P D. recently I remarked to a friend who is a member of the local P D, that I was surprised that not even 1 of them ever turned up. His answer sort of floored me. He said “Oh if we find a nice gun, we just keep it for our selves”. Sort of gives one a warm feeling to those paid to protect you, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

That’s the way it is in IL especially here in the northern part of the state you will not get your property back by law. It’s first going to a politician, after that it’s going to a police chief which again police chiefs are politicians. If it ever gets to the rank and file well you would have a better odds of being hit by lightning

1 Like

The exact reason I will avoid IL on the way to WI from now on. Illinois _____… no thanks.

2 Likes

Eskimo, I am making reference in general not you because I’m betting you’re not going to shoot and kill anyone driving through here, police are not going to put out an all point bulletin for the TexasEskimo don’t be ridiculous. They’re to busy with criminals you aren’t a criminal. If a person who is driving a car is driving or otherwise acting irrationally then I will say you could be stopped. You aren’t a criminal, you are not crazy, and you’re not going to shoot anyone and you aren’t even going to come that close to Chicagoland. Where you are driving from Texas to I assume Wisconsin it’s all open especially if you’re coming on US39 once in. Believe me Illinois cops are not Johnny Law all they ask is don’t drive like a teenager, or crazy person. Police don’t usually like to get out of their patrol car in this state.

2 Likes
  • Jake & Elwood… “The Blues Brothers” 1980

I wasn’t referring to any community members. Gee… take a Xanax. I lived in and graduated college at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Satire has been killed in the latest generation.

1 Like

Satire is VERY hard to understand via text sometimes. I would definitely suggest a hint/nudge/emoji when using it. :wink:

4 Likes

Zee, I live in California. they already have a log of all my firearms…:crazy_face:

1 Like

Do you suggest to take it by mouth or… :zipper_mouth_face:
Anyway… no more needs for incomprehensible satire :wink:

1 Like

yeah, I used to live there… so they have a log of quite a few of mine too.

1 Like

I have one photo of my wife shooting at the range. I have a shot of my KCG I took to show a friend , how small my keltec was/is. But I am paranoid and scared enough to fully believe that I am on someones watch lists.

So I don’t take pictures.

3 Likes

There are those times when I would rather shoot at my phone than a target however!

3 Likes
  1. For insurance or other purposes, take the pictures with a digital camera which has no capacity to connect to any network or the internet.

2. Disconnect your computer from all networks and internet connections.

3. Use a cable to download the pictures, do any desired manipulations/modifications/enhancements, then print them from a cable connected printer.

4. Store the images on a thumb drive.

5. Erase the images from computer memory and printer memory. and camera memory.

6. Store the prints and the thumb drive in separate safe locations.

7. You’ve done what you can to keep your info private.

I have a few acquaintances who are IT security professionals. They tell me to only connect to the web with a cable, not wirelessly, and to turn off the computer when not in use. Nobody can hack a device that’s disconnected and powered down. This advice is several years old but seems to still make sense to me.

4 Likes

Still true… with the caveat that its possible to download viruses, keyloggers, Trojan horses and other evil onto your system when its connected… and those can suck data out of your system when you reconnect. So be careful what you click, don’t open unexpected files in your email, don’t click on links in email, use antivirus and anti malware software, use a router as a firewall, and stay off web pages you know you should not be on anyway.

3 Likes

The universe is a vasty chaotic place; there is no way to eliminate all risk. You can manage it, reduce it, anticipate it, but you can never reach a condition of zero risk.

2 Likes

Oh give me a film camera. Probably have do all the pictures in B&W and develop and print yourself. Tough job these days. Seen any color film on the self let alone B&W recently? Sending film in for processing and printing is like putting digital pics in the cloud.

2 Likes

I also have photos, with the S/N’s for insurance purposes. Those photos don’t get posted anywhere. I am of the opinion that no one needs to really know what I own. That policy extends beyond firearms as well. No need to invite unwanted attention.

4 Likes