Glocks are popular, but why? ;)

Easy to clean, but dangerous if you get complacent:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/cleaning-your-glock-10-easy-steps/
From the blog article:
Note: When cleaning your Glock, this first step is super crucial because the pistol must be dry fired in order to initiate disassembly. Even after you have visually and physically checked clear, you still want to hold the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

Step Two: Dry fire the pistol.

1) Pointing the gun away from any person or objects of value (i.e., a safe direction), rack the slide to return the slide into battery and close the action. Check that the chamber is clear one more time.

2) With the slide in battery, point the pistol in a safe direction and then press the trigger rearward. Youā€™ll hear and feel the click of the firing pin moving forward. The trigger must be in its rearward position to remove the slide.

Note. Apply your total attention to complete steps one and two above. Do not allow yourself to get distracted! Most unintentional discharges with the Glock occur at this point when the operator gets distracted.

Unfortunately, Iā€™ve heard from a few people who got a little to comfortable and ended up needing emergency medical assistance and surgeries. :frowning:

4 Likes

I guess Iā€™ve Been doing it (mostly) right. I use the Q-tip in a couple more areas where there is exposed metal or signs of wear. But 6 drops of oil is about right. Unless you run it through the dishwasher!

3 Likes

Andā€¦ the problem here is not the gun, itā€™s the forgetting what matters and starting to believe your own legend (ā€œhey its cool, I know what Iā€™m doingā€¦ I can take shortcutsā€¦ā€). ANY gun can be used in unsafe ways. Unless itā€™s a mechanical failure, the errorā€™s on the operator. Itā€™s a pretty common defect in human beingsā€¦ weā€™re prone to get complacent, and we can be lazy. Sometimes a little OCD is called for.

4 Likes

Always separate ammo from the cleaning table. Always clear the weapon. Always put my finger in the chamber and physically look, even use a flashlight if I have to. No deviation from this step. For 40 years I have followed these rules when cleaning or preparing to clean a weapon. Never get complacent in safety because that is the day it happens.

2 Likes

Honda? How about Cadillac?

1 Like

Old style SIG 220, 226, 229, 239.

2 Likes

Any gun is dangerous if you get complacent.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got an area marked off on my cleaning table that I never put a loaded gun on. The ammo stays on one side of the room while the cleaning area is on the other. I also try to not stop in the middle of cleaning a gun that way nothing is left sitting out in an unknown condition.

My father in law gives me a friendly hard time about the OCD side. But your right those habits can help prevent incidents

3 Likes

Very true - but I havenā€™t heard of multiple people shooting themselves in the hand when they clean their guns :confused:

1 Like

Hey Dennis28, if you want to say the Glock is like the Cadillac of guns, you go right ahead, I love my Glock too. My opinion, the Glock isnā€™t the best looking gun but itā€™s simple and practical, like Honda products. I think Colts are more like Cadillacā€™s of guns.

3 Likes

Hey Chris4, I think :thinking: the Sigā€™s are more like Mercedes of guns :grin:

2 Likes

Glock literally bought the market by paying to get them used in movies and TV with ā€œproduct placement advertisingā€ and by virtually giving millions of them away to LE departments by selling to them at far under cost.

Once agencies/people got them in their hands and discovered that the cheap plastic guns performed every time they owned it and quickly overtook the 1911 as the most popular LE and SD handgun in the US.

3 Likes

Whole lotta truth here. Reliability surpasses all for defensive firearms and ammo. Forget the rest, get the most reliable you can afford.

7 Likes

Bring as much of both as you want, but when the first beer is cracked the guns are put away.

That rule has served me very well for 3 decades as a guide and outfitter, not always popular but it still served me very well.

6 Likes

Based on the responses above, these appear to be the reasons Glocks are so popular. Which do you think is the biggest reason:

• Accurate
  • Affordable
  • Battle-tested
  • Customizable
  • Durability
  • Easy to maintain
  • Fits my hand
  • Reliability
  • Their Marketing Strategy
  • Other - please specify below

0 voters

8 Likes

Even almost ALL are good reasons, Iā€™ve voted for ā€œMarketing Strategyā€.
I think everything started thereā€¦

[almost - because zero Glocks fit my hand]

11 Likes

@Dawn To me, it comes down to marketing (reinforced by law enforcement choosing it as their issued service pistol) and reliability because itā€™s not about affordability. There are firearms on the market that cheaper than Glock and theyā€™re just as good or even better than Glock.

7 Likes

They are all good reasons!

7 Likes

All of the above. I sometimes believe theyā€™re the Mack truck of handguns.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll stick to my 2 world war winning 1911ā€™s lol

15 Likes