Glock Gen 4 and 5 Interchangeable?

I carry a 19x. I used to carry M&P. So I would carry a shield and then have a full-size M&P for home defense.

I would like to get a Glock set up for home defense so that the grip angles and training with the 19x coorelates to my home defense gun.

I would like to get a G45 and call it a day. BUT I have an opportunity to get a well priced G17 gen 4. My biggest concern with this is the difference with trigger and finger grooves. Is it an easy transition to go between a gen 4 and gen 5?

I know it seems like a silly question, but I want to confidently switch between the home defense gun and carry gun. I’ve though of making my carry gun a dual purpose gun, but I like a light on my HD gun and I don’t want to carry a light.

1 Like

People who find that the G4 groves “naturally” fit their hand seem quite happy with them. If not, they are often not all that pleased. Having one firearm for CC and something different for home defense generally not problematic, as drawing from concealment probably not an issue. My EDC is a Sig P365X, while for home defense it’s a 9mm Walther PPQ long slide. Trick is to practice with both the way you be using them. Having both be Glocks probably simplifies the equation. Train hard.

3 Likes

I am one of those who were never bothered by the finger grooves…or so I thought. I went to the Gen 5s a good while back and now when I pick up a Gen 4 the finger grooves are considerably noticeable for me. With that being said, I have no problem firing a gen 4, I just notice the grooves now.

3 Likes

Training will overcome any transitional issues. IMHO, I suggest another 19X for your home defense gun if you really two handguns.

In any event, store all guns so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons especially children when you are away from home.

1 Like

We have to call out @americanwolfman .
He is a Glock guru at this Community!

3 Likes

I have 2 EDC carry Glocks, and if the worst ever happens. I have 2 more Glocks of same type and calibre in safe.

So basically saying I have a Glock 30 and a Glock 41 just sitting in safe (just in case)

3 Likes

As long as the finger groves don’t hit your hand the wrong way I don’t think you would have any issues going back and forth between the two. My home defense is a Gen 3 G19 and my carry is a Sig P365. Only took a little practice for me to go back and forth between the two despite, groves vs no groves as well as significantly different sizes, grip angles and triggers.

Main downside might be that I believe some of the internal parts are different between the Gen 4 and 5. So if you like to keep spare parts on hand you may need to have two sets instead of one.

2 Likes

I have Gen 3, 4, and 5 Glocks.

Super easy to switch between them. Differences are miniscule IMO between 4/5, the only real difference between Glocks to me is what I now find to be a teeny tiny mag release on the Gen 3 and older.

1 Like

Gen 4 Glocks have been plagued with extraction and ejection issues over the years. I have personally tried 6 different ones and all exhibited some kind of issue. I know others may have them and be ok but I would NOT trust my life to one.

Now I have more than several Gen 5 models and they have been phenomenal. One has close to 40,000 rds on it now, gen5 19. I have changed springs every 10,000 rds, it still shoots under 2inch groups.

2 Likes

What issues have you had? Failures to function, or brass hits you in the forehead sometimes?

I have a couple of Gen4 Glock 19’s with a combined 7,000+ rounds and 0 malfunctions or stoppages of any kind. That is the extent of my Gen4 Glock experience. The guns are 100% functionally stock (just sights swapped) and only get fed factory ammo using Glock brand magazines.

1 Like

That’s a good point.

1 Like

Picked up a gen 3 19 today. The finger grooves don’t bother me at all. I’d agree the gun is better without them, but they are not a dealbreaker to me. I mainly want the glock grip angle so that my point of aim stays the same on my home defense gun.

I’ll see how things go. I’d still just like to get a g45, and have a back up carry gun. But again, I may be able to get a gen 4 for a really good deal.

1 Like

Mine only got fed factory ammo with factory mags and had brass to face ALOT, stovepipe and just all around erratic ejection. Like I said having tried 6 different ones over the span of a few years I personally don’t trust them. To each their own.

1 Like

Put me in the column of I have 2 Gen 4 Glock 30 and 2 Gen 4 Glock 41 and not only do I trust my life with them I trust what is even more precious, my wife and daughters lives with them.

Not a shot or a put down but mine have performed immaculately for years.

1 Like

Gen 4 9mm’s are the problem, not 45 autos. I actually love the Gen 4 45’s and 10mm’s. I have shot tens of thousands of rds through Gen 4 21’s and G30’s. I am glad you like yours and sounds like the ladies in your life are well protected.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting. I must have found the Goldilocks in the lineup of Goldilocks. I have over 20,000 rounds though my G19, G4 without a problem.

Guess it’s pure luck.

Stay safe.

3 Likes

Sometimes people are born to have everything working fine. Is it luck? Maybe yes, maybe know. Perhaps just proper attitude to everything they do?
I’m not saying the others make everything wrong but sometimes it is this way.
I’m wondering how do I know it… :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Proper attitude and a proper grip tends to alleviate most problems :wink:

Stay safe Jerzy.

2 Likes

You and be both. :sunglasses:

Gen 4/5 G19 is a hell of a great pistol

1 Like

Oh.

I’ma go hush and play with my .45’s then. All I can really speak knowledgeably about is the .45. Never really got into any other calibers.

Hope you and yours have a safe and happy New Year.

1 Like