Glock 44 or Taurus TX 22

Any thoughts or experiences with these. The internet has told me the Taurus is by far the better buy for less money.
+less ammo picky
+higher ammo capacity
+threaded barrel
+$80 cheaper

Glock
+Is the same size as a G19.

I like the idea of the e Glock since I carry a 19x. I’m skeptical or .22lr as a substitute for training, BUT at least it would be the same grip angle and sight picture of the gun I carry.

I’m mainly looking for a gun I can shoot for fun cheaply and a gun I can get out to teach new shooters/ my kids down the road. It seems like the Taurus is the better buy on paper, but I have to admit I’m leaning twards the Glock, though I wish it was cheaper.

4 Likes

If you want to teach go with the Glock it will be an easier transition to a larger caliber later.
Just eat Raman noodles for a month and save up the difference. :rofl:

10 Likes

I think I’d rather get the Taurus if that’s what I’ve got to do :rofl::joy:.

6 Likes

You have just answered your own question. :slightly_smiling_face:

You do know me, I’m not a G-Fan… but when I take a “single platform” into the consideration - I’d recommend G44 for you.

I was carrying and training with M&Ps and my “cheap” version was M&P22C.
Once I switched to 2011 platform and sold my EDC M&P9 I also decided to get rid of M&P22C. It just stop working for me. Different size, different grip, different shooting experience.
To keep all my firearms common I’ve ordered 1911/2011 22LR conversion and that will be my training handgun.

So the point is to keep everything simple, especially when 22LR comes with the same platform and size as your EDC. That makes everything easier.
I’ve shot G44 few times during Defensive Pistol classes and seen people shot it on the Ranges - never found single issue. As a training tool - you will be pleased with it.
Nothing against TX22, but why to have different training tool?

7 Likes

PROS and CONS:

7 Likes

Cool! I never wanted to sell a gun, BUT I’m wondering if I’ll venture in that direction to make more room for some new boom sticks.

Guess we both ventured away from M&P :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

:astonished:
So you have been completely sold to Glock? :sob:

Yeah… M&P is a great handgun and they served me well, I just found them too light for me. And polymer is not the option for me anymore.

BTW… have you seen this? It was posted 5 days ago at reddit… :joy:

A 2021-12-04 22-42-42

2 Likes

I still have them. Nightstand is still M&P. Carry is only Glock. I am planing to get a system in place where the Glock serves both roles, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use an M&P. If I could trade my m&ps for Glocks, I would just to have all the same, but I don’t have the resources to do that. It’s been fun finding what I like.

That picture is rediculous… I do fear S&W may have lowered quality for the sake of mad producing guns during the shortage. I could be wrong… but I have never seen the original shield do anything like that. The EZ had some really bad issues too. Id trust my other shields with my life, but I like to let new guns be on the market for a few years and see how they do :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

@Scoutbob you might want to take a look at the Kel-Tec P17 22lr. Comes with a threaded barrel, three 16 round mags, great sites & a rail for laser or light etc. I have one and can’t say enough good about it. I’ve put over a 1000+ rounds through it and it just keeps running. The wife and I have a few different Kel-Tec’s & there great, sure we have Berretta’s, S&W’s etc. also, but the P17 is great. I think you would like the Kel-Tec P17, now days they’re about $250. Take a look at the video links. :us: :us: :us:

4 Likes

I’ll take a look into that! Thanks!

2 Likes

That was somebody’s fault. Not a Shield Plus issue.
Ported barrel with non ported slide. The gases just had to go somewhere and broke the weakest part - polymer. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
I see it now. Oh gosh. That’s terrible…
Glad it wasn’t the gun!

3 Likes

WOW @Jerzees that is crazy and when did you purchase the gun and how many rounds did you fire through it. That is ashamed brother. There was no QA done on this firearm and it slipped through the cracks. Can you get a refund brother?

1 Like

Hey, it was not mine. I found the post on reddit. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh OK, I misunderstood I thought this was your gun. So if the gun had a ported barrel and the slide was non- ported I could see this happening. Like you stated above the gases had to escape somewhere.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:
@Johnnyq60 … I know it’s Sunday, Family time… so no needs to read posts carefully… but you have mixed everything at all. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1. not mine pistol
  2. ported barrel
  3. non ported / regular slide

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Brother I read the post quickly and was distracted I stand corrected.

1 Like

I am a Glock guy, practice & carry. But I’m a gun guy so I bought both among others I own. I carry a G19 or a G43 depending on what I wearing. I bought the G44 just because it’s a Glock and it shoots very well. I bought the Taurus TX22 just because I’m a gun guy. It also shoots very well. They are both fun to shoot, I do love the higher capacity of the Taurus. Bottom line you can’t go wrong with either.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Michael1100 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

I have the TX-22. I think whether you get the TX-22 or the G44 depends on your intended usage.

I agree w/ @Jerzees if your intent is as a less expensive trainer, the G44 is hand down your best bet. I haven’t shot one, but I hear the trigger is just like any other Glock. It will fit in all the same holsters for your G19x. It seems the ammo finickyness may be luck of the draw. I see some folks on youtube claiming it eats everything and others saying its picky… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you just want to shoot .22LR cheaply, the TX-22 is great. It has eaten everything I have put into it, but I don’t use the cheap stuff. It has been extremely reliable. Not that I would recommend it, per se, but since its threaded (suppressor), has a rail (light/laser), and holds 16rnds it would actually make a decent HD weapon. I don’t find it particularly accurate, it is very light, the grip is entirely different from a Glock (not just angle, the whole thing is different), and the trigger is rather mushy. It is fun and easy to run though.

If you just want to plink though, there are lots of good options. S&W Victory, Ruger Mark IV, Browning Buckmark, are all great “target” pistols which are very accurate and because of their weight really reduce the recoil down to almost nothing for new shooters. As @AL34 points out Keltec has several .22LR models which are fun to shoot too.

4 Likes