What 22LR would you recommend?

Good Morning my fellow USCCA enthusiasts!

I was looking for some 22LR recommendations. I carry my 9mm and I have a few weapons in 9mm and .40 cal but none in 22LR. I have 2 main reasons for wanting one.

1. Training: I have been taking a handful of friends and family to the range and teaching them how to shoot. Some of which are 14-15 years of age. I think a 22LR would be more viable for training at the start as the ammo is not crazy expensive and well for slow fire, trigger pull is a trigger pull and grip is grip. As much as I find it funny to watch a first time shooter try and shoot my .40 and see the look on their face. I feel the 22LR is a better choice to ease the newbies into shooting especially the people whom are scared of firearms due to media, ect.

2. My wife is undergoing some surgeries soon due to an Army injury. We have been waiting for 12 months since her medical retirement for these damn surgeries as she has been in pain this entire time. One surgery will affect her wrist for a few months time and a 22LR may be a better option while she regains strength in her hand and wrist. She is expected to get back to normal after time and will be back to using her 9mm. During her recovery, she will be at home mostly but I would still like her to be able to use a firearm in defense without causing damage while I am at work. Some of you may argue that the damage to her wrist from a larger caliber would be worth the risk in a life or death situation. As I could agree, I also have two German shepherds to assist in the matter so I would rather not risk more damage if not needed.

7 Likes

Personally, I looked for the one with the closest form factor to my preferred EDC.
Sight radius, grip angle, weight, location of controls, etc…

10 Likes

CCI stingers, But really don’t carry a .22 unless it is for plinking

4 Likes

I Tend to agree with Greg35 if you are planning on using it for training. I recently picked up a Glock 44 because I have a G17 at home and I would like my wife to get more comfortable with it.

However, since it will serve a second, or maybe primary, purpose to be used as your wife’s home defense firearm, maybe the decision should be postponed until after her surgery to make sure you get one she can handle, rack, etc.

6 Likes

Ruger LCP 2 makes a nice little pistol in 22LR and I believe the Glock 44 might be the model it’s the size of a Glock 19 but in 22lr.

4 Likes

One of the New Ruger MK III,s I have 3 each of the older models, the oldest probably has 200,000 round thru it at least.

4 Likes

Ruger LCR if you want a revolver. Smith and Wesson M&P .22 Compact if for training. If it’s a fun factor, Ruger Mark IX, or a Browning Buckmark.

7 Likes

I own a Walther P22 that is a real pain to reassemble and has trouble cycling with every manufacturer of ammo I have thrown at it. I am going to trade it in on a Glock 44, to go with my other three Glocks.

4 Likes

It’s hard to go wrong with a Ruger.

4 Likes

The older models were hard to put back together, the new modes have corrected that problem. I put so many rounds thru my MK III that I kept spare parts for it.

3 Likes

If you’ve the $$, a S&W Model 41 from the 1970-80’s, 5-1/2" heavy barrel is my choice, fed CCI-SV exclusively.
Yeah, she’s particular about ammo but she makes me look like a much better shot than I really am and her grip angle is the same as my 1911.

3 Likes

Phoenix arms hp22.

you have to give the slide a good oiling when you first get it cuz it’s a bit stiff but I have put thousands of rounds through this gun and it just keeps planking away. The one I have has three safeties if that’s something you’re interested in.

3 Likes

I can tell you what NOT to buy! I would NEVER recommend the Phoenix Arms 22LR pistols. They are a nightmare to dismantle and chances are you’ll likely break something trying to reassemble it (like I did). I have, well…let’s just say I have a few pistols and never in my life have I seen such a nightmare as the Phoenix Arms pistols. Also my daughter hated the revolvers like Heritage Arms because of the blow back. I have always like the little beretta in 22. but I can’t buy one in my state…along with much of anything.

5 Likes

I agree that the first time you dismantle your Phoenix arms hp22 is a little difficult but after that it’s not hard at all. I have put thousands of rounds in my hp22 and have cleaned it dozens of times. Nothing is ever broke nor malfunction. In reality it is my favorite gun to shoot.

3 Likes

I talked to the Ruger rep/parts salesman and he asked why I was ordering the parts for the Ruger MK III. I told him that around here we shoot 550 rounds of 22 LR every day seven days a week. He could not believe that and said if they did that in I think the state of Mass. the SWAT team would be at your house. Here is a tibbit for you, unless it has been changed. If you are suspected of having over 500 rounds of ammo in your house they do not even need a warrant to come in your house and search it.

3 Likes

In Indiana there is no law against how much ammo you can own. in fact the law actually states that there is no law against how much ammo you can own in the state of Indiana.

2 Likes

You want mine? it’s still in pieces.

3 Likes

If you want a 22 which will keep your attention for years to come, a ruger mk IV.
(I may be biased)

4 Likes

I have the Ruger Mark IV Target and love it. Easy 1 button takedown, East to clean and reassemble. Eats all copper plated hollow points I’ve put through it. Occasional misdfeeds with LRN’s. Available in a numbers of models so pick one that matches the grip angle you like.

3 Likes

Is that right? That’s crazy. A good friend of mine has one too. He has never had a problem with his either and my wife’s best friend just bought one and loves it.

3 Likes