22lr for EDC

Does anyone carry a 22lr pistol as their EDC? I’m buying a Glock 44 22lr. I have Gocks in 9mm and 40. Just curious about the edc carry. Thanks
BTY right now my EDC is a G43x

4 Likes

I used to carry a phoenix arms 22 pistol. Did a lot of research on the stopping power of a 22 pistol. I realize that you have to have extreme precision in shooting to put somebody down 22lr. Don’t get me wrong, you can do it. But for all intents and purposes you want to do it faster than unloading an entire clip. That’s why I carry my Ruger ec9s. It’s small and easy to carry but also has to stopping power of a single shot.

This is just my opinion by the way, I hope it helps.

4 Likes

There was a thread we have discussed this.
.22LR is easy to shoot, carry and secure for shooter’s ears… but as @Justin47 mentioned… will you feel safe knowing you have to put few more precise holes in assailant comparing to bigger caliber? Will you feel safe knowing that .22LR will give you more chances for malfunctions?
Perhaps you will… if you train and become proficient with small caliber.
But in stressful situation everything is falling apart… :pensive:

I’m using my 22 for practice only, just to save on ammo.

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:t4:
It was in the news a few years ago how a man defended himself with well-placed shots to the head. It was tragic, he lost his wife and one of the attackers was his own daughter.

2 Likes

Caliber? - #48 by Scoutbob

Check @AL34’s post :point_up_2:

Hopefully @americanwolfman can jump into the conversation - he’s got pretty good knowledge about .22LR

3 Likes

I’m running some errands and I will jump into this this evening and give my best opinions on the matter and see if I can shed some light on this.

2 Likes

If a .22lr is all you have, sure!
But the OP has other, more powerful Glocks,
so no!

I like .22s for their low recoil and quite frequently recommend them for new shooters. My question–if you’re comfortable shooting the 43x, why would you move away from a very reliable caliber (the 9mm) for a less reliable caliber like the .22LR?
I would recommend sticking with the 43x if you shoot it well and you’re comfortable with it.

3 Likes

Oh I’m very comfortable with the 9mm. I love it. I was more curious to see if others carry 22lr CC. I also have G27, G23c G19.

1 Like

@William_E3 Hope this helps. :+1: I like CCI Stingers out of the longer barrels.

1 Like

Well, I finally bit the bullet. I bought a holster for my new EDC so I gave my wife my old EDC.

I didn’t know that Desert Eagles came in 22LR.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I would suggest against a .22 lr for your EDC unless it was all you owned or unless you had a physical condition prohibiting the use of something with more recoil. I would focus on your new Glock 44 as a training tool to compliment your training.

Here are a couple quick comparisons of some popular .22lr and 9mm.

Cci Mini mag 40gr 1235 velocity 135 ft lbs energy

Cci velocitor 40gr 1435 velocity 183 ft lbs energy

Federal 9mm 147gr Hst 1000fps velocity 326 ft lbs energy

Speer 124 gr +P Gold dot 9mm 1220 fps velocity 410 ft lbs energy

As you see there is a pretty substantial energy difference between .22lr and 9mm

3 Likes

I don’t think a .22 would be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 10th choice for EDC but it would be a lot better than nothing.

2 Likes

Who said anything about a .22 DE? This is a 50 AR

Perhaps you should revisit the title for this thread. I think that you posted in the wrong place. :slight_smile:

Me thinks your key board is cross connected or dyslexic. It should be 22 LR and 50 AE. That said a Desert Eagle is a fair bit of hardwear to carry by hand let alone on a hip be it a 357, 44, 50AE but if you can roll Kydex off a belt rock on!!

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I know it’s not popular for EDC. I’m relatively new to this life style, so am experimenting with the .22LR revolver especially for summer, as well as other arms/calibers. Winter, I prefer a heavier caliber.

I have heard that 22 semi-auto’s are less reliable than their revolver counterparts, particularly because of the 22’s ammo being rim-fire, not center fire. I have had some of my revolver and rifle 22 ammo not fire. For me, nice as a backup second carry.

If you’re going Ruger, then wer’e cousins. Ammo selection’s vital with 22. I find more reliability with full copper, else copper plated, or else I won’t EDC with any other type of ammo; So far, I like CCI’s, else Aguila. I’m actually interested in moving from 2" .22LR to a 3-4" model, need to research.

I had found that the ejector rod can get stuck if I don’t use copper ammo or if I do not clean the firearm. I now clean my 22 better than anyone’s show-room car. I’ll never carry a speed loader or strip for 22. I carry a small leather case with spare ammo. 22 ammo is so small, I can easily carry 8-16 spare rounds in my pocket or b-ball cap with pockets.

On the plus side, more affordable, especially ammo-wise. Thanks bunch for your terrific post. I’ll revisit it.

1 Like

@William_E3 welcome to the community! We are glad to have you!

1 Like

Well guys. I figured you realize I’m joking. $2K for a .22LR? Not on your life.

I’m actually looking at .22 magnims