New Glock 44 for New Shooters?

Glock just came out with a 22 l.r. handgun - which I’m betting at least a few of you know a lot more about than I do. :wink: I’m always looking for a comfortable, reliable 22 for new shooters who are shooting for the first time and this may become a new go-to 22 l.r. for me:

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g44

Is this a gun you’ll add to your collection? If so, why?

5 Likes

Hopefully we don’t start another Glock vs. anti-Glock battle :wink:

Answering question:
No, I won’t add it to my collection. Reasons:

1. I don’t shoot Glocks
  2. Instead of spending $300 - $400 for .22 pistol, I prefer to pay $70 for .17 BB. Less cost, the same learning result.

(just my opinion, #2 tested and confirmed by me and my kids :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

It really depends on what fits your hands. I love my S&W Victory’s (one for kids, one for dad [no red dot]). My wife also likes the Victory. She has shot my Ruger Mark IV (AKA pretty gun, signature series) and did not like the feel.

However, a friend of mine prefers the Mark series and does not like the back strap on the Smith.

As always, I say go hold them at least, test shoot if you can.

I had a plan to get my wife a S&W EZ but after holding the thing, it’s as big as my Shield in 9mm. She prefers my Sig P238 for walking the dog because it’s small.

1 Like

For those interested in getting one. Just got an email from Bud’s gun shop. Pre-order for $369.

1 Like

I just can’t see carrying a 22lr. It’s better than a pointy stick, but …

2 Likes

Pretty much only use the .22LRs for teaching new shooters and for diagnosing shooting issues on occasion. I have 2 in the stable, so I’m not really looking for another. That said, if a chance to shoot it comes up, I’ll certainly try, because… GLOCK. :wink:

2 Likes

You can also get a .22lr conversion kit, the company is Advantage Arms.

They have multiple options for many Glock models with factory calibers for Gens 1,2,3, and 4.

This way you can train with your same frame and have both calibers to either train then have ready for defense.

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FitTable

2 Likes

Think it’ll work with a suppressor? Moving barrel vs fixed barrel.

2 Likes

I bought one. Put 200+ though it last week. It ran like a top. Zero malfunctions other than one cartridge required a second hit, which is on par with my other 22 experiences. All were Federal automatch from the 325 box, which my Ruger mk3 also enjoys. The 44 is so light that it has a little snap which is just hilarious. It was very interesting alternating a magazine with the G44, then one with my G19. Both with all-factory internals but much different stages of wear-in. The 19 felt way lighter on the finger and much easier break. All I’ve done to the 44 was a couple drops of oil in the proper places, it still has the copper anti-seize grease and whatever other gooey stuff is in there. I’ll give it a good teardown and clean once the moving parts have ground some dirt up all nicely between themselves.

My daughter (14) has put a few though my G19, but prefers the red dot Ruger mk3 stainless target pistol for paper target surgery. I can’t wait to get her on the G44 for a much different experience.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of 22 cal. But have shot it. I have no use for this gun in my collection.

1 Like

I have one of these and use it all the time as a trainer. It works and shoots like a Glock. It eats all kinds of ammo which can sometimes be an issue with 22’s. My second fav trainer is the MnP 22 compact. The Glock has better accuracy than the smith. I also have an advantage arms conversion for my Glock 22 and a 1911 conversion. Both the conversions are very accurate but are more picky on ammo. The best part about this is Rem golden bullets and federal auto match both work well in the conversions.

2 Likes

@Jeff748 I wanted to get the G44 but then saw the masses bash it in forums and YouTube reviews. So I didn’t purchase one.
The main complaint from what I saw was the issue that low-cost 22 cal. ammunition worked poorly.
Can you comment on this?

2 Likes

IMHO Air Soft is a better bet and much cheaper given the cost of quality 22 ammo. Yest the triggers suck and the BB’s get wonky past a certain yard line but they are a cheap fix to an expensive problem. Air guns are good but you need cylinders, spring guns are good but you have to rack the slide every shot so no double taps. All that said a coffee can and a bunch of wadding gets me into practice ANYWHERE in my house. If you drink coffee like I do coffee cans are plentiful and you can get dynamic inside your house. That said if you miss the can I’d wear safety glasses and have speckle available for the dent’s in the drywall else Momma might have yer butt for it.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I have used a variety of ammo in my 44. I have used standard velocity and high velocity ammo. I have used lead round nose and hollow points. I have shot armscorp, blazer, cci, federal, and Remington brands.

All of the ammunition seems to work equally well. I have had minimal malfunctions. I would guess less than ten and I have over 500 rounds through it. It is proving to be the least finicky of my 22’s on ammo. I did however replace my front sight with a high viz sight.

2 Likes

I can only go by what I’ve seen from YouTubers, 90% of them feed it everything and have exactly zero problems. The 10% that have an issue will usually just avoid the cheap/low-power brands and it works fine.

3 Likes

All that has now changed. Lol. My gunsmith owns three Glock 44’s… one each for his wife, son, and himself. He told me to pick one up. So when I was leaving the range last week and noticed a 44 in the gun case… I had no choice. It called out to me.
The gun is absolutely awesome. It is even lighter than my Glock 43. It shoots perfect little groups at 10 yards. Ammunition is available and cheap… I now have over 5,000 rounds of 22lr. I will primarily use this as a range gun and for training people that come to the range with me. Even though it is not my primary self-defense gun I fill it with hollow points when I leave the range. .22cal can still do a lot of damage if needed.
I put 500 rounds downrange at a very quick pace, not a single FTF or FTE. The slide always locked open when the magazine was empty. I did buy a Safariland retention holster (use the G19 holster), Talon rubberized grip. Truglow night sites, and (as always) a Texas flag slide rail cover.
I highly recommend a Glock 44 as another tool that is available and… fun!

My threesome… the 43, 44, and 17. Glock Art. Lol.

2 Likes

I have one and use it a lot as a training gun for myself and for clients. I put a hiviz sight on the front but left the adjustable back sight on. Once I find a set of fiber optics sights that has an adjustable rear sight I will switch the entire set. My Glock was a little picky on ammo for about 50 rounds. I got it sloppy wet and poured 100 rounds through it. It now eats everything I throw at it! One of the best things is that it works exactly like every other Glock so teaching break down and cleaning is transferable. My next favorite trainer is the MnP 22 compact. Once you put new sights on it. Every compact I have ever seen, mine included, the rear sight will break.

2 Likes