Friday Fun: Hollywood Gun Handling

Since starting my concealed carry journey, watching movies and tv shows that involve firearms has become almost painful. Their grip, trigger discipline, unending magazines, lectures about how guns being bad, and overall gun handling all are blatantly obvious to me now.

What Hollywood oops do you find most vexing?

• Unending Magazines
  • Bad grip
  • Poor trigger finger discipline
  • Flagging others
  • Anti-gun lectures
  • Getting shot makes you fly backward
  • Sound of a hammer cocking when it’s a striker fire pistol
  • Other (Please share below)

0 voters

This topic is purely for entertainment value. Those who are newer to shooting may find the references here a fun way to learn and reinforce some of the basics.

Photos are welcome!

2 Likes

The John Wick Movies are the closest i have seen to proper pistol and Magazine changing

7 Likes

The lectures from actors who got fame from movies where they kill everyone with a gun that never runs out of bullets.

6 Likes

Anti-gun lectures are the most vexing, but there are several others as well…(you should have let us pick 2-3 @Dawn lol).

Another one is the “click” on a semi-auto weapon that has run out of ammo (and the slide is still in battery)….and maybe the opposite of getting shot making you fly backwards (and I think @Zee mentioned it in another post) how the good guy can get hit 3-5 time and still be up walking around just holding the wounded area (and even then just until the next scene).

7 Likes

I voted “anti gun lectures”, but actually ALL OF THE ABOVE!
Hollywood gun stupidity probably invites as many ND’s and accidental shootings as any other reason.

3 Likes

Same as David above me. Voted anti-gun lectures, but they all annoy me.

3 Likes

I’m with @Philip7. John Wick series were well prepared to be close to reality… I’m talking about gun handling, not non-stop shooting for 15 minutes…
But for me the best movie with firearms involved was “Heat” (R. De Niro, A. Pacino).

Anyway, I voted for “unending magazines” because it always amazed me (even that time I didn’t know much about guns).

2 Likes

Other: All of the above. All of it.

3 Likes

How about a semi auto that makes a revolver sound when cocked? Or the character who racks the shotgun -Without firing- every time they want to scare someone. Or the 500 round indoor gun battles without hearing protection.

3 Likes

I marked 'lectures"… because Really? Fine, GIVE THE MONEY BACK THEN!
But other than that… yeah, ok, all of it

If I HAD to pick it would be stupid racking. And Seriously you’ve been skulking about at high ready clearing this building for 10 minute and NOW you chamber a round?! :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

All of the above, I wish suppressor made a weapon that quiet when fired.

4 Likes

I like NCIS, but I cannot imagine that law enforcement officers take their guns off and put them in a drawer whenever they’re in the office. ??? I’m willing to suspend my disbelief while I watch it - it’s just entertainment… I might grumble a bit every time I see that though. :wink:

3 Likes

I voted for 'Anti-gun lectures, but should have chosen ‘all of the above’. I think it’s funny when they pull the trigger 30 times on a .45 with a 10-round magazine and never have to reload. I think that Chuck Norris exhibits ‘fair to good’ gun handling in the ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ series, although he does take hits that would knock other people out, and just keeps on fighting. So…what can we say? It’s the way they do stuff in Hollywierd.

3 Likes

I love the moment when actor / actress releases the hammer having safety lever handy… but probably hammer’s move seems to be more thrilling …

2 Likes

The anti-gun screeds are particularly vexing. For the rest, they’re movies. As a result, they all take place in an alternate universe. I no longer spend any energy trying to find logical flaws in movies,

3 Likes

I picked endless Mag’s. When in fact it is ALL OF THE ABOVE.

2 Likes

Saw one recent where the gal officer (who is portrayed as both foolishly rash and totally hapless) comes around a doorway to be the hero in a firefight… and shes WAY obviously at slidelock :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

There are soooo many examples

A revolver with a suppressor on it.

Forever magazines. and 15 shot revolvers

3 minute gun fights without a trailer of ammo being toted behind.

Making a 1911 go bang with the hammer forward.

On the good side:

The best mag change I have seen until recently was Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon when shooting at the helicopter.
Keano Reeves is just stone cold because he actually shoots 3 gun but the editors still manage to screw it up.
I was in a movie theater seeing Terminator 2 for the first time with another gun buddy and we were dying laughing when the Terminator was hosing down the police with the chain gun. The kid told him “Don’t kill anyone else” so he was kneecapping the police. The horrified looks were priceless.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

All of the above but mostly folks like Liam Neeson telling me why nobody needs guns!

5 Likes

yeah… like he can make a movie without one :roll_eyes::unamused:

7 Likes