FL permit issuance: 2 weeks

I was in FL as a non-resident earlier this month. I took my documents with me and applied in person for a FL carry permit.

I literally received it in the mail 2 weeks after I was there.

Valid for 7 years.

34 Likes

Congratulations @Nathan57 :+1::+1:

6 Likes

Congratulations.

3 Likes

Congrats. Now you’re in the FL database of firearms owners.

4 Likes

Sweet.

2 Likes

Commenting on a gun post certainly puts you on a “list” somewhere"!

6 Likes

Yeah…I’m a member of [insert like 15 organizations] with current or past carry licenses from 4 states, range memberships, my share of 4473’s, tons of pictures and videos with and of firearms, regularly posting to public forums about firearms, with multiple NFA stamps.

Super not worried about adding a FL carry license to that.

14 Likes

Wow! Did you need to make an appointment?
I might do the same next time I visit my cousin Mickey

2 Likes

I did make an appointment. I waited about 4 minutes to be called after I got there. Manatee County

9 Likes

@Nathan57 Congratulations.:tada::+1:

3 Likes

Dang that’s quick. It took me about 4 months, I mailed a copy of my CT permit which wasn’t sufficient, and got notified via snail mail which took 6 weeks, then I was lucky my training cert for my CT permit was at the local PD, and mailed that in…which they lost. Mail was taking about 2 weeks. The webmaster at fdacs.gov was the only helpful person I contacted, and let me email an upload of my cert, which got forwarded. If they would allow electronic correspondence things would go a lot quicker.

3 Likes

That is a great point, and here is the full disclosure on how long this actually took (closer to a year)

I did the whole damn process to get one by mail last year or so. Mailed the fingerprint cards done at my local PD and everything.

Weeks later I got a basically-denial in the mail because they wouldn’t take my proof of training. I have had quite a bit of documented training/experience, and the one I chose to send didn’t meet their list (was only Frank Proctor concealed carry class)

https://www.frankproctorshooting.com/about-frank-proctor-shooting/

So rather than do mailing all over again I waited until I was going to be there again and had time during business hours to go in person.

Once I went in person and brought a different training cert with the Almighty NRA numbers on it, all went fast

4 Likes

Good job Nathan … Now you are permitted in Florida … Good feeling, right ???

3 Likes

I sent a copy of my CT permit, got denied, went on their chat feature and highlighted the training requirements for my permit, and got told too bad, no good. My certificate,NRA basic pistol is what CT uses for the permit, made them aware if this, it’s in the CT dot gov site…too bad. Fortunately the local PD has a copy of my cert so that worked. Funny thing is that my NRA safe hunter cert I got 51 freaking years ago would also have qualified me for the FL permit… pretty nutty,. 22lr rifles and shooting clays will qualify you for ccw in FL… unfortunately, somehow I the half century that passed, I lost that cert :thinking:…think I got a cloth patch as well.
FL is a good permit to have.Somewhat duplicitous with UT, but adds FL and iirc,NM, maybe it’s AZ, which UT doesn’t cover. Now if I could just carry in a neighboring state…gawd…

3 Likes

I only seem to gain one or two states with it, looks like Nebraska and New Mexico perhaps. Or wait, does NV honor a non resident FL? I didn’t have NV before. Looks like I gained the N’s of NE, NM, and NV

4 Likes

Issued by the Department of Agriculture.

4 Likes

Not that it matters, the list is not available to the public and is exempt of the Sunshine law.

2 Likes

Fdacs, headed by Nikki Fried, who took Floridians who were at the Jan 6 white house tours permits before anyone was charged, and recently pushed for pot smokers to be permitted. Last time I looked, she still had the two high resolution downloads of herself available for download…to put over your bed, or on a backstop.I dunno’ :thinking:

1 Like

This I like (except the feds need to be on board)

2 Likes

Yeah,no issue here as well, though different folks, different reactions ime.
Thinking the Jan6 tourists who got their FL ccw pulled by Nikki could just use the " hey, I was high, and didn’t know where I was" defense.

2 Likes