How to Get a Concealed Carry Permit in Florida | USCCA

Whether you’re new to owning a firearm or have had a gun for home defense for years, getting a concealed carry permit may seem daunting. It doesn’t have to be. There are many reasons and ways to carry a concealed weapon, but the first step is knowing the laws. Applying for a CCW varies by state.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/how-to-get-a-concealed-carry-permit-in-florida/
2 Likes

Appreciate the subject post.

I mailed in my application for an out of state (non FL resident) permit on Jan. 20, 2021, guessing they received it around Jan. 25. Their website reads it could take three months for a determination, which would put me around April 25. However, I noticed they never even deposited my check which I attached with the application, nor have I received a letter back. Online status check only addresses a a suspended application from 2020, because at that time, they could not accept the prints from the LEO which I sent in, despite the new tracking # used from Jan. with the correct prints. Despite efforts, they could not be reached by phone and not returned emails.

Due to the Pandemic, I imagine the 90 day wait could become 120-210 days, based on how long it’s been for others waiting for their own resident state permit, I can’t complain, yet.

Friends; For non FL residents since the Pandemic, how long it been taking you all for your FL permit?

Boy is this timely! I have been trying to get clarification on lawful possession of a firearm in my car while travelling in FL with my SC CWP. I can confirm reciprocity, I cannot confirm whether I can carry concealed inside my car. I’ve been reading the statues and it talks a lot about those without a permit being able to carry a weapon in their car if it is locked up, but it does not say anything about what i can do with a permit.

FL CWP holders - can you carry concealed in your car?

1 Like

Welcome. This source attached below indicates that if you have a CCL or permit honored by FL, that “yes you can” carry while in vehicle:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/fl-gun-laws/

Hi Burdo,

How did you get finger printed being out of state? I am moving to Florida in a few weeks and wanted to start to the process.

Thanks in advance.
A

1 Like

Hi Andre. Welcome. Funny you ask. I just received mine yesterday. Can only speak for myself though.

For me, I researched several gun-stores/ranges, got on their email lists and checked their class schedules regularly. As some offer the FL classes for citizens in my own state. Some stores differed in their ability to communicate well, some even placed me in touch with their teachers of their classes for FL permits. Then I found out that the class itself had an actual police officer come in and take the prints, using their own credentials on the fingerprint cards. You definitely want to ask the FL course instructor if they offer that great service. If I knew what County and state you reside in currently, I might know a shop.

If I had never found that out, my next step was I was going to call several different local cities/towns police departments, asking them if they would conduct my prints (as I needed their credentials on the prints). As when I tried my own city, County and state, none offered it.

Your situation is interesting to me, because, I wouldn’t know if you’d be better off applying now for an out of state FL permit, Vs. if you’re moving in a few weeks, should you obtain a state ID or DL from FL, then apply for the CCW Permit as a FL resident? Is one way faster, or easier to obtain, IDK. Up to you.

I’m not a barometer for how long it took, because when I first applied, it was at the height of the Covid Pandemic with prints from a private firm, and asked FL for any advice. Was never able to reach the FL office, but was happy when it arrived.

Best to you. :grinning:

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License