Legal time frame for new weapon background check in florida

So I am a CCW permit holder here in Florida and have been for 8 years. I have recently purchased my first gun through and FFL. I had always purchased through private sellers. Well the background check has yet to come back and it has been 8 weeks. How are they legally allowed to hold up my 2nd amendment rights because of their incompetence to do a quick background check? I have had my CCW for 8 damn years! Yes I was arrested for a few misdemeanors in Ky like 20 years ago, but never a felony or any domestic violence. How are they allowed to do this?! I really wish I had the money to hire an attorney to file a suit against them for violating my rights! Any insight or clues to how I might resolve this would be helpful.

1 Like

Oh and I just renewed my CCW permit in February. So this is my 8th year because they are only good for 7 years. Pretty sure this is through the same people too! The background check goes through Florida Dept of Law Enforcement.

1 Like

CWLs are handled through FDACS (Department of Agriculture).

They can delay for as long as they like. It ain’t right, but it happens. With a Florida CWL, the check should have been immediate, unless

• It was a Saturday
  • Something old popped up

I have experienced both. The fastest way to get them to tell you what the problem is (from experience)? Call them on 1-800-HELP-FLA (1-800-435-7352) or 1-800-FL-AYUDA (1-800-352-9832), Mon.–Fri. 8 a.m.–5 p.m. EST or live chat.

5 Likes

Welcome @MGOLDEY352!

8 weeks - Wow! I’m thinking there might be some glitch in their system and your request was “lost”. Is the FFL able to re-send the request?

The most I have had to wait was 24 hours and that was on something I purchased on a weekend and the FFL knew ahead of time that there were some system issues going on. Normally, I get my approval back in less than 15 minutes.

1 Like

Thank all those people that voted for Nikki Fried.

I am in Florida as well, last background check was approved in less than 5 minutes for me.

I don’t know if you have a common name, but I have been told that can create a mix up. Also I thought if it doesn’t come back rejected within 3 days the FFL could complete the transfer in Florida - you might look into that.

2 Likes

I just called the FDLE and gave them my Q number today. This is the number needed to look it up. The FFL I bought from said they can only look back 30 days, so I have been calling every week for the last 3 weeks. They said there is no time limit. I find it very hard to believe. I need someone that knows how long they legally have.

1 Like

I have recently done that. Renewed my concealed carry license in FEB. I am waiting for a firearms purchase background check to come back, not the CWP.

1 Like

This might be a good place to start for some details, @MGOLDEY352:

FAQs2.

1 Like

Except for the correction of FDLE to FDACS, my entire post was about a firearm purchase.

They should have released the gun to you in three days without a response from FDACS. Unless, of course, the old misdemeanors are holding things up. Did you ask FDACS about the reason for the hold? I went through that after I received my CWFL, and a phone call cleared that up.

2 Likes