First class

Taking my first class next month. Been trying to take one for over 5 years now. Had to get the wife involved so it would happen!!!

We dont need a CCW in Arizona, but I want one. Plus its just something I want to do.

Next up after that a rifle class!!!

11 Likes

Congrats !

Even you don’t need permit… it’s always a great idea to take classes.
Permit is only a simple piece of paper, nothing else. Taking classes you know what are you capable of.

6 Likes

Yeah, ive been shooting for about 9 years but want to take a class on handguns as well as a rifle class as well. I figure you can never have enough training!

7 Likes

Never enough training. :metal:
After few classes you may find it addictive and perhaps even indispensable… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The point is - you never know what you can do if you don’t try it constantly, and you never know how good you are if don’t practice regularly.

7 Likes

Is your class a required license class, a basic handgun 101 class, or a handgun for self defense class? Those are three different types of classes. Most notable, is most state-required license classes do not meet the standards for either a handgun 101 class or a self defense class.

In any event, have fun, learn lots, and look forwrd ot future classes to build on this upcoming one.

2 Likes

The AZ class requirements are pretty light no live fire required. Even completion of a hunter safety class would suffice.

But I believe many higher level classes would qualify as well.

2 Likes

Be aware once you get your license that AZ no longer sends renewal notices so you’ll have to set your own reminder 3 months ahead of time to start the renewal process.

1 Like

Here is the message from the instructor:

Basic Pistol class on September 16th. I will be looking forward to having you in class.

I am also a USCCA Certified Instructor and the class on the 16th will be a combination of basic pistol and Arizona concealed carry permit. We will go to the range for hands on certification and training for pistols.

I have also registered you and Cheryl on the USCCA website. You can expect to see an email from USCCA confirming your registration.

I will be sending out an email the week before the class with details about what you will need for the class and what to expect. If you have any questions before then please don’t hesitate to contact me by email or phone

1 Like

Excellent. That tells me you will be getting a basic handgun 101 class, suitable for the license, and might also include some personal safety training. This will be an excellent start on your training road. AS an instructor for both NRA and USCCA, I hold that the USCCA curriculum is more complete and better suited to lead students into the basic self defense training world. The prescribed NRA curriculum is all about safety and an introduction to range shooting marksmanship. Both are good programs, and I use either depending on the needs of the students.

2 Likes

Want to start with a class, then continue. Then down the road becoming an instructor myself. Possible goal down the road.

4 Likes

Bring a notebook and take notes when you can. The class will have a progression of stages that will go from safety and basic skills and start advancing as you go. Different classes will progress differently, but they should progress by the capabilities of those taking the class.
By taking different classes you will be able to perform different drills. You can take these drills and practice them on your own and maybe even tweak them a little to make them more interesting. Have fun, be safe!

3 Likes

:metal:

I like this approach. There is nothing more to prove to yourself than being able to teach others… :handshake:

3 Likes

I live in Arizona. And I took the class for a CCW even though I don’t need one to carry in Arizona. But in Arizona if you have one when you buy a firearm it helps with the Background checks go faster. Also when I go to visit my brother who lives in Georgia I can carry there because I have a CCW. So there are good reasons why to get a CCW even if you don’t need one.

4 Likes

I’m in AZ. Believe it or not, they sent me a renewal with the required form. Came approximately 60 days before license expired.

3 Likes

The same thing with mine in AZ too.

1 Like

Yeah, that is one reason why I want to get my CCW…easier to purchase a gun, plus being able to conceal in some other states as well.

2 Likes

be aware that as medical marijuana use is spreading, and some states are no longer making that a deal-breaker for a CCW license, ATF is removing that quick-sale/no-NICS-Check with CCW in those states. It happened in Michigan in 2020. We are watching in Arkansas to see if it happens here as a resul tof new law in effect Aug 1.

3 Likes

That stinks, but hopefully here in AZ, we dont have that problem.

1 Like

How long ago was that? I got a renewal notice and form after my original license expired but last year after my second 5 year stint expired I did not receive a renewal notice and found a notice on their website saying they no longer sent them. They supposedly stopped sending renewal notices because the law didn’t require them to.

I read that the AZCDL was pushing a law last year to require renewal notices to be sent but I’m not sure if our new anti self defense governor would sign it into law.

1 Like

Yeah, the Veto Queen. Thats exactly as I see her…she thinks she is a Queen instead of a Governor. This state has gone to a heck!! I cant believe we voted as a blue state.

1 Like