Firearm owners who happen to love bourbon

I consider myself to be a responsible firearm owner. I also happen to love bourbon, and do not go out to drink, but enjoy a bourbon or two at home. From a cost/benefit standpoint, Elijah Craig (small batch) is a favorite. For a little extra oomph I enjoy Heaven’s Door Cask Strength Single barrel (Although there are many favs that ignore cost). For you firearms owners who also happen to love bourbon, what is your typical go to?

9 Likes

Well here we go… Wild Turkey 101, Old Grand Dad Bib, Eagle Rare ( when I can find it) Evan Williams single barrel ( sometimes) , these are my go to for a neat sipper. Also a non bourbon DeWars 12 year ( it’s blended which is Scottish for non offensive) & don’t leave out a good cigar with all of the above

5 Likes

Hmmm & stay home to drink, should be safer.

3 Likes

101 IS a good price to performance choice. Cut my teeth on Grandad. Haven’t tried Eagle Rare yet. I have a 12 Y/O Macallan Single Malt that has just sat unopened in the cabinet for years. Tried cigars, but just don’t find them to my liking. I use a single, large ice cube, let the whiskey stand for five minutes, then three stirring swirls in each direction.

1 Like

There’s a good reason why Jim Beam sells the most

3 Likes

I’ve been searching for single barrel, cask strength bourbons lately. There are many things that are special about them. Only 220- 250 bottles made from each barrel, and no two barrels are the same. The flavor is so enhanced compared to blended whiskeys. Always a unique experience!

1 Like

Elijah Craig Small Batch is also my favorite… and that’s the only bourbon I can drink. :no_mouth:

I’m definitely European drinker… nothing is better than 25 years old Bas-Armagnac Delord. :blush:

3 Likes

Why’s that?

2 Likes

I prefer Scotch or Irish whiskey over the bourbon. However when I’ve tried Elijah Craig I couldn’t believe it’s a bourbon and I’ve been ok with drinking it since then. I really, really enjoy drinking it.

4 Likes

Burbons can be as varied as wines. It’s a big part of the fun!

2 Likes

I’ve made three trips to KY over the years to explore and tour distilleries. Each time my eyes and taste buds open a bit more. I make a point of bringing home bottles that I can’t typically find locally.

Aside from Makers (finishing series) and their cask strength I’ve found Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition and Old Forrester 1910 Old Fine to be very appealing.

These are enjoyed neat with water on the side … Maybe 1/2 a teaspoon at most to open them up a bit.

1 Like

My tastes have definitely changed over the years. When I was younger, I never could get past the burn of liquor. However, I’ve now gotten past that and really enjoy sipping on a good bourbon and scotch. My wife and I did a private tasting with a local distillery here in NC. The master distiller really opened my eyes, and taste buds, up to the different flavors and what to “taste” in liquor. By simply taking that tasting, I’ve grown to love it. As far as favorites, I really don’t have any right now. But, I’ve enjoyed Old Forester and Michter’s recently. They are on the low end of the cost scale. On the upper end, a good friend of mine bought me a bottle of 15 year old Whistle Pig. Now that was a smooth bottle. Pair any of these with a great cigar and a beautiful sunset on the deck, and you have yourself an enjoyable evening.

4 Likes

Taste buds change over the years … at one point Glenmorainge (sp?) LaSanta was my go to. Have you ever considered exploring wheated bourbons?

1 Like

In my cabinet where is Jim beam Black label and Maker’s Mark.

4 Likes

I tried a lot of different alcohols… I’m guessing my European nature took over.
Bourbon doesn’t taste as good as Scotch Whiskey. Even I found Elijah Craig to be really good, it’s still behind Balvenie whiskey.
Yes, taste changes with age… but mine cost me more money than years ago… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Chivas Regal :us:

4 Likes

Chivas Regal was on the top of my list 15 years ago… :wink:

3 Likes

That’s why I still have hope for your evolution to bourbon! :wink:

1 Like

From Costco

6 Likes