Single Malt Cask Strength Scotch

Several or more years ago I became a fan of Single Malt. More recently I have found the wondrous properties of cask strength single malts. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced cask strength aqua vitae and enjoy it as well. I had joined a Scotch society in anticipation of a trip to Scotland earlier this year, which was postponed until next year due to COVID-19. Since then I have had a number of their Scotches and I am enjoying the experiences. If there ever were a reason for self-defense, living to enjoy more single malt cask strength Scotch should be a valid reason. :sunglasses: Of course drinking and handling a firearm is not wise, even if it is only for one’s health. :grin:

9 Likes

Nope,sorry,Ky Bourbon man here. Scotch interests me but have tried only Johnny Walker…

1 Like

Nope. I am blessed with cheap taste, I can get buzzed on $10.00 Spiced Rum and have more money for ammo. Shoot on. :wink:

5 Likes

I just recently started trying different bourbons. As a family man with young children, I do not typically drink in case they need me. They went on vacation without me this summer because I had to work. On my days off I enjoyed day drinking Woodford Reserve, Maker’s Mark, and Knob Creek. I even tested some “whiskey balls” to see if they lived up to the hype. They last longer than cubes, but will still melt after 2-3 drinks.

Not a Scotch drinker.
That deeply offended an old gent who used to hang around us college kids playing chess at the local cafe.
He had been a bombardier on B-25s stationed in UK and dearly loved the stuff.
He gave me Scotch lessons (first lesson: single malts only) and at the end I was drinking Glenfarclass, which the old fellow pronounced as being “my” Scotch.
He was right. No other Scotch tastes right to me. He said this was due more to the education he gave me than to the unique qualities of Glenfarclass
I wish I could afford the stuff nowadays!

Brandy, and to a lesser extent Bourbon are more my speed.
Evan Williams White Label is a pretty impressive Bourbon for the price, IMHO.

1 Like

@Smiddy, that’s like drinking Budweiser and stating that you do not like beer. :slightly_smiling_face: I have even had their blue label and not been impressed. The single malts I have had have been far less expensive and I have found to be far superior.

@BRUCE26, anyone can drink to excess. Drinking a good Scotch has nothing to do with that.

@Seethe, the small batch isn’t bad. In the past I thought it was decent. Since I discovered single malt, I no longer can appreciate most American whiskey. I do appreciate those that do, though, as many of the barrels are used to produce amazing Scotch. :grin: I had a very old Jim Beam last year, produced in the early 1980s, that I had held on to, that was quite good. It was in a ceramic train, but over all the years the seal failed, no longer completely full, resulting in a more concentrated, slightly syrupy taste. I recently tasted another version, drinkable, but nothing like the older one. I had the Maker’s Mark 46 not to long ago, recommended as a very good Bourbon. That led to my discovering why Bourbon is typically poured into a glass full of ice, the only way to appreciate it, just like most mass-produced American beer. :upside_down_face:

@John292, Glenfarclas isn’t too bad a price, depending on which one you are having. Evan Williams is a decent Bourbon. I have yet to find a bad cask strength single malt. Brandies can be good, I prefer Cognac, specifically from Remy Martin. I like their batch 16 and 1738 Accord the most. Unfortunately, the 16 is only available in the “duty free” shops at airports, and since the virus, I have not traveled abroad, and my bottle has since evaporated. The good brandies are even more expensive than Cognac.

2 Likes

That was a joke Dude. :roll_eyes: But thanks for confirming my suspicions. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m partial to Texas whiskey. Tasty but not too expensive.

3 Likes

What suspicions? A good Scotch is a sensory experience, not means to intoxication.

1 Like

I’m kind of partial to Glendronach 12 year Sherry’ d cask when I can find it. Smooth and smokey, drinks too easy for the price. For GP drinking scotch I’m partial to Famous Grouse. My wife has recently turned into a bourbon girl and we’re enjoying Jim Beam Reg Stag (Black Cherry flavored) in sweet tea w/ lemon for the summer months as well as the standard Gin and Tonics which have recently been re-named “Covid”.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I began drinking single-malt Scotches more than 30 years ago, and Glenmorangie was always one of my favorites. I switched to Bourbon when we moved to Florida because, when in Rome…

My favorite Bourbon right now is Longbranch by Wild Turkey. Another “smoother than the price” tipple.

2 Likes

been getting into bourbons as well…check out Mitchners and High west distillery

1 Like

My Glenmorangie bottle seems to have a problem …

4 Likes

I think there is a conspiracy with bottle manufacturers, all the bottles leak out the top and end up empty just when you are ready for a nice smackeral.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

They’re kind of funny that way.

3 Likes

Yes, that is one of my favorite distilleries.

Heard that is supposed to be good. Have not tried that one. My wife likes Bourbon. Woodford small batch, 1792 small batch, and the Whistle Pig Rye 10 yr old 100 proof, are some of her favorites.

@Gary_H, yes, that 18 yr old Glenmorangie is very nice. Mine has a leak, too. I have 4 bottles of Glenmorangie; that one; the Signet; Nectar d’Or; and Tayne. The last one is only available in the duty free shops, but in a one liter bottle. I have had many of theirs and enjoyed all, but one, the Quinta Ruban.

I like all styles, including the heavily peated ones, too, such as Corryvrecken, Uigeadail, and the Octomore series. The Port Charlotte 10 is one of my standards.

2 Likes

I also like the Islay Island scotches but they are definitely acquired tastes :slight_smile:

Sounds like you have a great collection! :+1:

Unfortunately, Laphroaig and Ardbeg 10 year are more in my budget :rofl:

1 Like

Relatives in Midland introduced me to Rebecca Creek! Awesome! Wish Wisconsin could sell it.

1 Like

Glenmorange, Glenlevit, Glenfidich… they’ve all had some enjoyable Scotches. Then my wife discovered she liked to mix them with Coke and I had to quit buying them as I could not, in good conscious, support the heresy

7 Likes

Wow I have enjoyed the conversation here, I will add my flavors. I started drinking Jack Black
I still drink said same, with age comes wisdom and I now have a couple of new loves for me.
The first is Drambuie which is a great sipping drink over ice, it can also be mixed with a great
scotch and make a breathtaking rusty nail. If you haven’t tried it please do. The second is
Disaronno, this is also great for sipping on the rocks. You can make a Disaronno fizz with
fizzy soda bubbles and lemon juice quite refreshing and thirst quenching. Disaronno sour
is quite good, 50ml of Disaronno - 25ml fresh lemon juice - 5ml of sugar syrup, 1 egg white
shake all ingredients with ice. Garnish with a slice of lemon. Enjoy Mike :crazy_face:

3 Likes