Another classic debate....COFFEE

I always enjoy the light hearted debates/ribbing. We’ve done the classics but haven’t seen how people feel about the best coffee or best way to make coffee.

12 Likes

@Sheepdog556… don’t tell us, you are using AR15 Coffee maker… :upside_down_face: :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

My favorite long time coffee mug had a crack, so the mrs for our anniversary obtained a new drinking device, and added some verbiage from her vinyl cutter. Have had the senseo for years, brews a froth on top. Very anal about the coffee frolic! The pods have to be ordered, and the last supply came from Britain, via royal mail, what ever that is.

I copied this from “stupid stuff” post…
A little story…my grandfather was a bullheaded Norwegian, had to have his coffee mud black. In fact a spoon had to stand and stay at attention in the middle of his cup. Every morning, yes every morning he would stir constantly for what seemed a half an hour. Stirring the mud.

Myself…. Every morning….I have to have creamer in my coffee, brewed in the Senseo brand coffee maker, as it leaves a froth on top of the coffee liquid. The mandatory creamer is hazelnut, none else. No sugar as it is sweet enough. The Senseo brews one cup at a time, takes two pods for one large cup. Now the cup has to be tall, and hold 16 to 18 oz, with a handle. No plastic, only glass or porcelain. I do not want the mug washed as sometimes it leaves a soapy taste. The mrs likes to sneak it away and wash it, and I will give her the benefit of the doubt. Laugh at me if you like, however the coffee frolic is the probably the only analness I have. The balance, I am easy going. My mrs has about the same anal coffee frolic, but a different creamer. She has to have whipped cream on top of her froth. Large mug. If we are not at home, and have breakfast elsewhere, I bring my own hazelnut creamer., Sometimes my own favorite mug. Is this all stupid??? Yup.

The blessed mug was given to me by my mom in law, a couple of years ago, when I was in the burn unit.

Ohhh but wait…I have a backup senseo machine in case the one above shoots craps!

4 Likes

Best way to make coffee?

Ground just before brewing. Dump grounds into kettle of hot water over a campfire. Let it boil. Lightly filter the grounds it as you pour it into your mug. Let the gritty stuff settle to the bottom while it cools. Drink as soon as it’s safe.

7 Likes

I will agree. The best coffee I’ve ever had was using the old school percolator (spelling) with river water over a camp fire. Grinds and all it was amazing.

11 Likes

Many moons ago…we were hunting in NW Montana with one of my former daddy in laws, on horse back, looking for the largest ram he could find, colder than hell, darker than hell, winding blowing what 40 mph, maybe more, he had to brew camp coffee a steep mountain side, maybe 5 am. in the morn. To this day, I don’t know how he got the fire started! LOL It tasted good!

8 Likes

My contribution to workplace safety is ensuring I have a cup of coffee in my hand as soon as I walk in the door.

9 Likes

Best coffee maker ever:

13 Likes

My wife and I received a Delonghi with digital display and all the bells and whistles as a gift. It held up for 15 years and retired last year. After using a drip style for a couple of months, I had to have a Delonghi replacement, found out I couldn’t afford the original, so bought this one. We are fortunate to have a local café that sells Cuban Expresso beans.

8 Likes

The story goes that my dad started spooning coffee into my mouth when I was just a few weeks old, and by the time I’d started school, a cup of coffee in the a.m. had been the norm for a while. Not really picky about machines and brands, as long as it’s good & strong and ready VERY SOON after I awaken. I’m an instant human- just add coffee. If there was no coffee, there’d be no reason to get out of bed, but it hasn’t come to that yet. Like others here, I do require a large cup for my morning fix…don’t wanna have to make a lot of trips for my nectar of life, just sit and enjoy. Btw, the auto-brew feature on the coffee maker is, imo, one of the greatest inventions in history. Thank you, Lord, for coffee…

7 Likes

I don’t like coffee. No matter what you do to it, it still tastes like coffee to me. Hate dark chocolate too, so I probably have that gene. All I taste in either one is bitterness.

I do like tea, though. If you dump enough stuff into it, it actually tastes good.

English breakfast tea, steep for 30 minutes. Add one Big Scoop of Splenda, one quarter small scoop of Stevia, one spoon tip full of cocoa powder, one shake of cinnamon powder, one shake of nutmeg. One splash of whole milk.

Yeah, I’m a dweeb.

6 Likes

Amen, brother! I don’t eat or drink anything that carries the least flavor of coffee, I just can’t stand it. I’m a tea man, but a bit of a philistine about it. I use a cheap drip style coffee maker for my tea…toss a couple bags in the basket (or a filter and loose tea), fill up the water, and throw the switch.

4 Likes

I loved Teavanna before DevilBucks shut them down. They had a REALLY wonderful strawberry white tea. Savoy Tea in Arkansas is where I get my loose teas now. I order my Revolution breakfast tea bags off of Amazon.

2 Likes

I like simple. Fresh ground coffee, measured by handfuls, dropped into coffee pot water, bring to a boil for a bit, drop morning egg shells into pot will help to settle grounds (lost the pots innards years ago) and adding a pinch of salt will reduce bitterness for the more sensitive tasters. I’m a bit spoiled and prefer a thick old time ceramic mug, but hey a tin cup works fine.
coffepot

11 Likes

This is an old time Army trick, have any of you ever put egg shells in your coffee grounds (peculated coffee).

First, if you have never tired peculated coffee you dont know what your missing. (ADM coffee is just not the same.) It takes longer to make but oh so worth it.

After trying real coffee (yes I hate ^ bucks crap) the next pot you make, take half a crushed (in your hand) egg shell and put it in with the coffee grounds. You will notice the difference.

Don

6 Likes

I make coffee thick as used motor oil, then add enough cream and sugar to make a whole daycare hyper for a week.

7 Likes

Hey that’s the way I like it.
That’s lutheren basement coffee. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Even if the coffee is labeled as ground, always chop it up a little more. Great practice with my EDC knife as well. And… coffee grinds will sharpen a knife’s blade. I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

6 Likes

This would make an amazing topic

5 Likes

Stumbled onto Black Rifle Coffee about a year ago. Prefer Freedom Roast but when not available will get by with Folgers…

4 Likes