For Serious Coffee-Hounds: A Brewing Tip For Better Coffee

If it’s three things this old fart despises in addition to politicians, they’re dry sandwiches, dry salads, and crummy coffee. Recently, I learned that coffee contains gasses, and as much as 87% of those gasses is CO2 - carbon dioxide - which affects richness and taste. Coffee’s contact with hot water releases this built-up CO2. The next time you brew a pot, look at the grounds to check to see if they’ve fully saturated - if you see a bubbling froth, this is known as a coffee’s “bloom”, and the gas released will cause the grounds to actually rise in the filter. Give the grounds a light stirring to speed up the release, turn off the coffeemaker, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on to finish its brew cycle. I’m using Folgers Colombian Coffee, and I swea

7 Likes

The USN is powered by coffee :coffee:. Black no frufru stuff, thick enough for the spoon :spoon: to stand up in.

7 Likes

USN Chief here keep the coffee coming and don’t touch my cup.:grin::grin:

3 Likes

I was a “swab-jockey” in the late '60s-early '70s, and my spooky old bladder is proof!

2 Likes

Oh my! I’m a coffee hound from way back. My ex brother-in-law was a missionary in South America and one of his visits home brought me a bag of whole beans. Well I had to go out and buy a cheap grinder and give it a try. I’ve never looked back. Been grinding my own for years and it’s like every cup taste like that first cup when you first open a can of coffee.

Took a vacation to Costa Rica years ago and visited a coffee plantation. I learned to tell good beans from cheap and bought a bur Mill Grinder. Now every morning I can close my eyes take a sip of coffee and it’s back to the rainforest at the base of Arenol volcano. And I love my Bunn coffee maker. A shameless indulgence!

4 Likes

Short Story, In the day of C Rats, we got a packet of coffee and creamer. You could open the creamer sprinkle it over an open flame, it would flame up like gun powder. But on the packet of coffee, we would put it between cheek and gum like snuff. It kept us going on those field Ops for days. :us:

6 Likes

Before someone discovered coffee as a beveridge, Arabs used to chew the beans on those long caravans to stay awake,

2 Likes

Nothing has changed, the same thing is done with the instant coffee packs in MREs. Although I have learned to drink cold field coffee, if it comes to that. It’s not real coffee, but it reminds me of real coffee.
If you’re good at trading MRE contents, you can also throw the instant coffee into pudding. Like everything out in the field, it’s a little more satisfying than it should be. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yep during my last days on active duty. MREs were the thing. The pudding trick I never tried . Soldiers don’t really change. Technology does​:us::us::us:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure if we resurrected some ancient Persian warriors and let them play with our Army, they’d still have all the same jokes (just in different languages).

4 Likes

Train them up on language and technology. They would fold right into, Special Forces. Maybe not though, as I am sure they would get slapped with a DEI infringement.
:nerd_face:

3 Likes

Same here. I get my beans from Fresh Roasted Coffee, and have a spare Bunn still in the box, in case the presently used one ever dies. Bunn is not a shameless indulgence however. It’s a necessity lol.
Road trips, I pre grind and use the percolator.

1 Like

I get my coffee from Black rifle Coffee Co. They were founded by Vets. And they give some of their profits to Vet groups. And I’m also a member of their coffee club. They send me 2 bags every 60 days. And the way that my membership is set up they pick the 2 types to send me. That way I get to try most of their different types. And so far not gotten one that I didn’t like.

1 Like

I’m no connoisseur, but I can taste a difference between Black Rifle coffee and the cheap stuff at the grocery store. It’s worth the extra pennies.

4 Likes

I’ve found that the Black rifle Coffee is cheaper than in the stores. And well worth the price.

4 Likes

I was a subscriber to BRCC but dropped them when they threw Kyle Rittenhouse under the bus. I will not buy from them anymore.

2 Likes

We’re Community Coffee drinkers here. Ever since @Randall318 sent me a bag of it to try a few years back.

4 Likes

The only coffee that does not make me poop!

2 Likes

MRE’S had the same thing

3 Likes

Wow, it has been a few years!

I’m certain you told me if you liked the Louisiana coffee or not, but my memory forgot!

I guess you answered my questiont, @45IPAC!

Who elsse drinks it here?

1 Like