For Serious Coffee-Hounds: A Brewing Tip For Better Coffee

Community beans are what I buy also except when I import some from Costa Rica from time to time

1 Like

Yup. You sent me some of the Breakfast Blend, and the Signature Blend. We like the Signature Blend. We go through at least a box of the Kcups a week. Sometimes more.

1 Like

Did you know you can buy and roast your own coffee beans for your own coffee blend if you want to have coffee the way you like it.

1 Like

Yep, I would like to try that to see if that would suit me. Hey Todd, what about those machine that used to be in grocery stores that had different bins of beans that could be ground from? I dont think I hav seen one of those in a bit.

Not every grocer has them, but when I am ready to buy coffee, I go to the stores that sell whole bean. I don’t know how much difference it really makes, but I like to think it does. And there’s something satisfying about grinding my beans just before I brew coffee.

1 Like

Might just try it myself :us:

I prefer Columbian coffee - the Columbian “Supremo” beans you see don’t indicate the QUALITY of the beans, but the larger SIZE of them in whole-bean and ground coffee. I’m trying BOTH forms - I usually drink Folgers or Eight O’Clock, but I was really surprised at how good - and really SMOOTH - Dunkin’ Donuts ground coffee is! By the way - the plastic valves on bagged coffees are designed to function one way - to constantly de-gass built-up CO2 in the beans or grounds, and block oxygen from entering. BOTH can affect the taste of coffee. FYI

2 Likes

I always wondered what that was for, never looked it up, but when tearing into the plastic Dunkin’ Donuts container I didn’t pay much attention, the goal was to make coffee…

1 Like

I know several friends who do that with great success. I like mixing Vietnamese coffee with a medium roast blend. It was an eye opening experience! :rofl: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Some coffee I have tried makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up.Made by some of my Marine brothers :us:

4 Likes

Just a couple of reasons to grind. Federal regulations allow up to 14% other in a ground can of coffee. The other is usually ground Walnut shells to add bulk and weight.

I was shown this by coffee plantation owner in Costa Rica. If you take a glass of water, and take beans from several different sources and gently lay them in the water, the beans that sink and do not float are higher density and grown at a higher altitude which is considered a higher quality of bean.

3 Likes

In the Navy the coffee, :coffee: that was made for the NCO’s mess, could be used as paint remover.

4 Likes

In the Marine Corps the coffee was supposed to be made with 1 cup of coffee grounds, but they complained about it not being strong enough, so I added 3 cups and they still complained. I could not fit any more grounds in the machine. I thought about adding some No Dose in it but did not want to get in trouble for that, but they would have loved it.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it!

Quick question… Does community coffee sale in Illinois and you did not notice / appeal to you until the gift God told me to send you for Christmas 2019?

Yes, we can buy it at all the local grocery stores. Until you sent it to me, I had never heard of it. After we tried it, I looked into the company. Now, it’s what we mainly drink.

2 Likes

Boil some mud in an old tomato can until a horseshoe floats in it…coffee

5 Likes

We used to do that when I first started hunting, dip a 3 pound coffee can in the beaver dam, boil it over the fire and throw a large hand full of coffee in and let it cool a bit and the grounds settle and drink. Finest kind. :+1:

4 Likes

LOL yep that will do it alright :us:

Cowboy coffee! Yep :us:

1 Like

A few things I do that I believe make for a consistent good cup of coffee.

• use a adjustable burr grinder instead of a blade which allows you to find the right grind size and amount to match your personal taste. Grind size controls coffee exposure in brewing which controls things like strength and flavor.
  • I use water at 200 deg. temp., many household machines will not get that hot.
  • A retired USN Chief told me to put a touch of salt on top of the grounds before brewing to smooth out the taste.

That’s the basic things I do for my coffee.

4 Likes