Cheers! Castle worker finds world's oldest whisky in Scotland

I thought some here might find this interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

It was already a century old when it was hidden away more than ninety years ago. Now 40 bottles of the world’s oldest Scotch have been found during a clear-out of a castle’s cellars.

Cheers! Castle worker finds world’s oldest whisky in Scotland (msn.com)

4 Likes

eh… it probably already expired… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I used to work as a laborer doing demolition at Princeton University established in the late 1700.
It was interesting when we would find stuff left in the walls by construction workers.

3 Likes

Distilled in 1833, bottled in 1841, that sounds like 8 year old Scotch. My understanding is it can only get worse, not better once bottled. Maybe @Dave17 or @Craig6 can comment on this.

Regardless, I am sure the price at auction will be beyond ludicrous!

5 Likes

Thanks for that info. Due to the source, I did not read the story. Yes, distilled spirits, for the most part, will not improve with age, though an 8-year old Scotch is typically not harsh, less so, if it is peated. It would be interesting to know from which distillery, if it was a single malt. It is not likely that it is a single malt, though, as those were uncommon back then - blended Scotch was king.

What typically happens, when the bottle is standing up-right, is the cork gets dried-out, which allows air in and the Scotch evaporates. This is the reason wine is aged laying-down - to keep the cork moist. to prevent its drying out.

Several years or so ago I had a bourbon from the early 80s. The vessel it was in was ceramic, so I do not know how much was left in it, but it poured thick, like a 20-25 year old balsamic vinegar. It was a bit sweeter than a typical bourbon, but as it had evaporated, that made sense. It was actually still quite good. It made me wonder what it would have been like not damaged by evaporation.

As a bottle is consumed, or air is entered, it does oxide a bit, so there will be some differences between a newly opened bottle and one that has been sitting for a while, especially if it is mostly empty. I wonder, as it was likely in a fairly stable environment, the condition of the bottle.

5 Likes

An update. The original article suggested 10.000.00 to 12.500.00 pounds per bottle was possible. :grimacing:

The World’s Oldest Scotch Whisky Is About to Go Up for Auction, Here’s How to Place a Bid (msn.com)

Take away comment.

• cassapova's profile picture

cassapova

Possible to drink or it’s just for show?

1w1 likeReply

• Hide replies

• whiskyauctioneer's profile picture

whiskyauctioneer

@cassapova It has indeed been tasted! Angus MacRaild, expert in old and rare whisky, tasted the whisky and said: it had "a flavour profile that strongly involves medicinal characteristics without any notable or pronounced peat smoke. Not only do I find it historically fascinating, but a pleasurable and hugely charismatic whisky that I find quite typical of older style, distillate-forward highland malt whiskies.”

2 Likes

Considering the rarity and age, that doesn’t seem out-of-place. Current 30 year old can be several or more thousand dollars, though the article suggests it was about 7 years old, but such a limited number, I could see it, but only due to its rare nature and age.

It is interesting that it mentions a medicinal character, as that is usually associated with Islay peated Scotch, and that castle is in the Highlands, which occasionally uses peat smoke, but it would not be characterized as medicinal.

1 Like