Finding a comfortable holster for a bigger guy

Hello,

This is my first thread so if I’m doing it wrong, just let me know. Anyway, I’m a heavier guy with a bit of a belly. I’m working hard to lose weight. I recently got into the idea of self-defense and overall preparedness so I realize that I need to have better cardio ability than I do. I have a Springfield Armory XD9 which is a bit bigger than your average EDC pistol, but it’s all I have. I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a holster that would be comfortable for a left handed fatty such as myself?

5 Likes

6"2" 400lbs southpaw, I pocket carry a Ruger SR9c with an Alabama Holsters pocket holster. Very comfortable.

3 Likes

@Jorge34 the best i can offer is trial and error. It might cost you some $$$ but you might have to research some then purchase a few to see how they fit as for comfort. i am a small built person, if i turn sideways from you i would disappear. Kydex seems best for me since i carry mostly AIWB but do also carry OWB once in a while.

3 Likes

First question @Jorge34 .
Outside or Inside Waistband?

For big guy with belly - OWB at 9 o’clock seems to be the best option for now.

5 Likes

I started with an Alien Hear Shapeshift starter pack ($99) and have stayed with it. It modular and has all the components for AIWB, IWB, OWB belt, OWB paddle so you can try out all. I’ve settled on IWB.Really good quality and adjusible retention.

6 Likes

Need to know OWB or IWB, leather or kydex. And what is your budget?

2 Likes

@Jorge34 >> I like a shoulder holster with a light weight vest. As the weather changes so will your carry method. Like it or not you will grow an inventory of holsters. It’s not very often you go to the shoe store and try on one pair of shoes and buy them. You might have a pair of boots for the winter and a little pair of wedgies for the summer.
PS: a good way to feel thinner is to hang around with people that are bigger than you. ( it’s true ) when I want to feel younger I hang out with older people.
PS: I seem to remember that “ you should not cross draw a across your body for self-defense “

:us::us::us:

3 Likes

Jorge, this question comes up pretty regularly and the honest answer is, no one but YOU can determine what is the right fit. Anyone who’s carried for a couple years, very likely has a drawer/basket/area where they keep their many holster purchases that didn’t work for them. Personally, I’ve purchased several holsters that all were recommended by someone and the holsters didn’t work for me for any number of reasons.

Welcome to the frustration of finding a holster you like and that meets your needs. Good luck!

4 Likes

Southpaw here too, but a middleweight.
SR9C IWB Clinger holster at 1PM. I just got used to it.

2 Likes

I looked into the Alien Gear Starter pack. I really like the versatility it has in order to find the right configuration for me. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

2 Likes

im 6’2 275 I carry in just a we the people holster with a different belt clip to hold it better. I also use a Kore Belt the belt makes ALL the difference in carry. I carry a Ruger EC9s or a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 45

3 Likes

@Jerzees >>>> are you left handed big guy :question:
PS: your gonna need a bigger icon of you.

1 Like

Yes, I’m left handed…mostly.
No, I’m not a big guy. 5’9" / fluctuating 185 lb.

1 Like

@Jerzy >>Asked because of the cross draw recommended no-no, that Ido anyway w/shoulder holster. PS: are you still growing :question:

1 Like

Physically I stopped growing over 25 years ago. Mentally I’m growing all the time.

Regarding cross draw… that’s one of the best carrying method and I wrote it several times.
But not shoulder, waistband. I don’t like shoulder carrying.
Waistband cross draw might be hard to be applied with big belly, but other than that works great, especially for left handers (car is a great example).

3 Likes

I’m big too. There’s a few videos on YouTube that big fellas like us review holsters. All I have at the moment is a Galco fanny pack. I know, it sounds really lame but for the summer and the reason I bought it, it fits my needs. I need to get an owb holster for an upcoming class and I think I’m gonna go with the Alien Gear starter pack. I know I’ll end up with a bunch of holsters like others have said anyway. I’m losing weight as well and hopefully by doing so will make carrying easier.

3 Likes

To bad there aren’t stores we can go shop for gear, where we can go in and try stuff on.

2 Likes

It is a system. What do you think you need to defend your self? Where do you go? I have had a micro 9 kimber which was easy to carry, but difficult and painful to shoot. I have a couple of full sized Sigs A 1911 and a Springfield XDE. The first thing you are going to need, in my opinion, is a belt. I have tried several and now settled on a Blade Tec. Variables adjustment is key. Even a small pistol will ad weight to your belt. I have tried several holsters from Galco leather, too flexable to be able to holster easily. I have settled on alien gear IWB holster with a neoprene backing. I had a leather backed same, but the leather became slick after a few months and I was always pulling my pants up. The neoprene seems to stay put better and be more comfortable even in hot weather. I also think your pants count in the system. I have settled on 911 tac lite pro pants and shorts. I have several pairs partly because the pockets and belt loops are all in the same location on the garment. Also the material and quality seem excellent. Keeping your gear organized where you know where to feel for your gun, light, multi-tool or knife. As for weapon I have recently chosen a Sig 320X It is a bit thicker than the XDE, but has almost twice the round capacity. It is fairly lite and fits nicely at about 4:00 and has a 3 1/2 inch barrel. Longer barrels tend to jab you in the butt. it shoots very comfortably. I can shoot a couple boxes of amo with no problem and it is very accurate while I prefer a hammer this striker fired pistol works. Think through what you want to accomplish, what style of clothing your are comfortable with and where you usually go. One final point; if you decide to carry, do it all the time. If you start to only carry sometimes then you will forget to have your protection when you need it most. Do not leave it in your car! You have no control and if you need to protect your self and you are not in your car, then what?
Put on your clothes in the morning with your holster and your sidearm. When you go to bed put your pistol where you can get your hands on it quickly. It is a lifestyle that can make you feel that you have a chance to control a physical assault and or harm to you ore others. Be Aware, Be safe.

2 Likes

Suspenders that clip under the belt, worn over an undershirt and under your outer shirt.

Also, a longer barrel takes longer to draw.

I know, I know, some will say, “I’ve carried a full-size 1911 concealed for 50 years and never had a problem.”

Whatever, a shorter barrel is less awkward.

1 Like

Might be helpful. The guy in this video actually has a holster company (keepers concealment).

2 Likes