Family Dinner: Does your family carry?

Just because you’re family doesn’t mean you all share the same viewpoint when it comes to concealed carry. If you’re lucky, members of your family are supportive of you carrying (and maybe even train and carry themselves).

If individuals in your family don’t share your same views, how do you try to discuss your views? Do you use your knowledge and experience to try to change their minds?

5 Likes

Facts, facts, and more facts. In the end, the family members I have that are anti-2A, still don’t get it. They usually cringe, when I walk in the room. A couple of them are even scared of the fact that a gun might even be in the same building.
They live 6 hours a way, and only see them at funerals.

7 Likes

My immediate family (my wife, daughter and son-in-law) all know and support my concealed carry. We are in constant communication in many topics, some of which we are in full agreement and others where we are as distant as East from West. Dinner, every time we are in the same city, usually many nights in a row.

My closest friends carry. We go to the range and gun shows together. Dinner? Frequently, and usually with our spouses.

My brothers and mother don’t know and I don’t want them to know. They would lose their minds. Some of them, I don’t talk with but to exchange birthday greetings. The others don’t talk with me at all. Dinner? No chance.

8 Likes

With my family all the way to the grandkids, if it’s dinner time it’s range time! We all live within 2-3 hours of each other. Everyone over 21 carries, everyone eats. If you don’t carry, you ain’t family and visa versa.
There is one member who is not exactly a member yet, but he came to me with questions on why I carry, after a complete history lesson and some court rulings, he understood why and respects that we do carry. He doesn’t have a problem when or where I carry, but I don’t think he will carry until his child is old enough to understand and be safe.

7 Likes

I carry, my wife’s side of the family are all pro 2A, my side is definitely in the scared of guns crowd, with the exception of my nephew. I don’t bring it up and neither do they

7 Likes

Having a hard time getting the wife to carry, she feels she only needs to carry on long trips when she’s alone… I’m not pushing her.

6 Likes

Some in my family and in-laws don’t do it. But they know I do and they respect it and don’t mind that I have it on me all the time no matter what we are doing.

6 Likes

@Bill443 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:
Both sides of the family are OK with guns, I got lucky there. :grinning:

6 Likes

My wife doesn’t carry. She just won’t and doesn’t feel comfortable not her thing. She knows how to shoot and will range with me but she says you go where I go so I know I am protected.

6 Likes

I say nothing…

9 Likes

My son carries as does his wife, #1 daughter ) pepper spray girl ) can’t bear to take a life; husband walks the line, daughter #2 shouldn’t have a firearm ( wives with knives)

6 Likes

@Joshua_R How can that not make you feel like a man. :muscle:

6 Likes

In some of my prior posts I have referred to my “smarty pants” brother in law.
He has a CCP in PA, when we visit his house he says I have to leave my EDC in my car.
He is an avid hunter and even though he has his CCP he doesn’t carry, unless as he says he is going to “go someplace that might be bad”.

Idiot!

We just don’t go there anymore. Problem solved.

12 Likes

I’m very lucky. I can’t think of a close relative who is against carrying. We have a few that aren’t necessarily a fan of Firearms but they respect the others choices and believe in the 2A, it’s just their choice not to partake. We also have several veterans and LEOs in the family, so that very much helps.

Before my mother in law passed there were some heated discussions. God rest her soul and I loved her dearly but she was an anti gunner. Funny thing is, as much as she outwardly opposed Firearms, she always checked to see if I was carrying when my wife and I traveled :joy::rofl:.

7 Likes

Oh it does @BRUCE26 for sure. Not going to lie I love that very much lol

5 Likes

@Bill443.
Welcome to the community.
cobra
Train Hard and Stay Safe.

6 Likes

So far I’m the only one who carries, I carry concealed. No one has a problem with it :smiley: My Dad took his cpl class Saturday.

9 Likes

@Bill443 Welcome to the team!

4 Likes

I carry 99.95% of the time on my person and 100% in my travels. My wife and daughters know and are supportive. Although familiar with firearms, my wife does not carry. Most of my friend carry. As for family and acquaintances, I operate under “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

7 Likes

I carry everywhere, at home wife’s gun is in bedside safe. Same for daughter.

6 Likes