How Does Your Extended Family Feel

…about you possessing a firearm around them? What push back have you had to overcome as it relates to why you’re armed? And then, how have you been able to deal with or relate to their concerns about your visitations while carrying a concealed firearm?

4 Likes

Every single member of my family is comfortably armed. I taught all of them, three grown children, 12 grandchildren! It’s a religion in my home!
Sermons from the Constitution and hymns from Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper, et al. Anytime a child in our family is born, they get the bottle, a diaper and a sidearm! Outside family members are converted on the spot or they’re gone! No liberals, no wokeism!
One of my son in law’s questioned my carry practices at a restaurant. When he noticed that I made a conscious effort to check for exits, restrooms and in particular why I made a firm choice of seating arrangements. ( I always face the entrance, no matter what! ).
When questioned, I explained how s#£t never happens on a schedule! Be prepared and know your surroundings! Three weeks later, he purchased his first firearm, then we spent time on the range and now he’s permitted!
Son in law from England, who never even saw a firearm and now is locked and loaded after spending two days on the range with me. It’s usually a family affair. After a few more lessons, I consider him a marksman.

Circled groupings are three round rapid fire at ten yards, called! They should never have challenged grandpa. I didn’t have to call my shots, they called it for me! I won dinner, beer and a waxed and detailed car!
I love being challenged. All other rounds at 25 yards.

8 Likes

The greatest mistake that young folks make is assuming that old men are no longer dangerous. lol.

12 Likes

As for understanding, the title has been enough!

6 Likes

I haven’t had any push back from any family,any time they visit it is a foregone conclusion that I am always armed,but we are a weapon friendly family,we all were raised around weapons and very familiar with them in the vicinity,and the children are familiar with weapons and how they work

6 Likes

My in-law once stated, “I’m so glad you don’t have any guns in your home.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The best part of this was, I was still in the Army when she said that.

6 Likes

Wife, carries. All of my sons, carry. My 85 year old mother, carries. My dad, Bless His Soul, carried until he died. 4 out of 5 of my daughter in laws, carry, #5 is a nurse she’s afraid to carry in the hospital. Sister in law, avid gun control advocate, can’t even have a reasonable conversation with her.

5 Likes

I don’t have any family, other than my wife and daughter, well I guess I should mention my mystery aunt, who’s opinion I care about. If we go to some friends for the holidays, they all know I carry.

If for some reason, one of the few friends, who I would go to eat at for the Holiday’s and they had a problem. I would leave, and that would be one less “friend” to worry about.

Now some might say that’s pretty harsh, you might even think that I’m not a good friend, but I will go to the mat for any of my friends. So if it’s that important to them, to force the issue. It tells me I made a mistake.

YMMV

6 Likes

Wife and I both carry
son carries

extended family at church are in full support for their safety and lets our team know

haven’t found anyone protesting yet

Mike

5 Likes

Family.

1 Like

Family.

1 Like

Majority lean left and one Marine even questioned why his brother would need a gun.
When I first became a gun owner, I was so excited I let a few close to me know. It was on Facebook too!
Not anymore. It stopped when I decided to get a CCW permit. I deleted my fb posts.
I carry when I go to family gatherings but only my wife and kids are aware of it.

6 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if they ever consider HOW the old men got to be old men to begin with.

3 Likes

Personally, I lost the other side of my family because of our right to protect our loved ones (including the critic).

I’m so sick of hearing, “it might just go off!”

Guns never just go off!

8 Likes

With family, I always observe the conversation, assess the temperature in the room as well as the topic of discussions, because with each news cast, opinions are subject to change. Remember, family is family. And not all family is the same. You may love them all the same, but how you demonstrate and apply your regard and love for that family member takes great care and consideration. Not everyone can handle the fact that you carry. And for those that have family that does, well, count yourselves lucky, because you are amongst the fortunate few.

Generally, the only time I ever really talk about guns and carrying is with likeminded people, period. As for carrying, well, “concealed” means, “concealed.” “You don’t know and I ain’t tell’n!” (Except to LE because I have a duty to disclose with any official encounter, and even then, I’m careful as to how I disclose. Experienced LEOs might be with someone that is a “rookie” (no pun) fresh out of the academy who’s on pins and needles that may respond wrongly and open up a whirlwind of trouble. Be safe and discreet, polite and respectful. Obey signage which may have the ‘force of law.’ This also includes family who has expressed their wishes against the presence of firearms.) If you’re printing, showing it openly, or running your mouth about it indiscriminately, or otherwise drawing attention to it or yourself because of it, then it’s not concealed and therefore defeats the purpose.

Ideally, concealed carry reflects a mature, discreet, and disciplined mindset. Not everyone seems to be able to pull it off, or is good at it; however, everyone can become good at it. Don’t tell all your business. Loose lips still sink ships. Maintain need-to-know, or some element of discretion. Never lose purpose, to protect self, defend family, secure the home, and in rare cases, others.

To drop LTC Jeff Cooper’s name, and to read the ink and rattle off what he wrote is cool, but to ignore or be divorced from the development of mindset that he espoused is folly and is an exercise in futility. IMHO. The Color Codes of “Awareness” applies everywhere, all the time, under all circumstances, and in every situation, because it’s a “mindset,” and if not developed, how successful will you be with applying the discipline? Again, JMHO.

How do I handle my extended family? Very carefully. Very discreetly. With need-to-know. But that’s me and mine.

5 Likes

That was metaphorically poetry but there is no “s” at the end of “mine”.
Poetic license.:+1:

1 Like

Both sides of my extended family know I carry.

One side knows how much I’ve trained. One family member carried as a security guard at one point. I keep the other side of the family less aware of any specifics for several reasons none of which are related to 2A stance.

If you go into the aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, it’s a mixed bag on their support of 2A issues. Most are very pro 2A. Some not so much.

2 Likes

Don’t tell me how many mines I need in my front yard. :wink:

4 Likes

“s” is gone. :+1:

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. When I see an older gentleman sitting there with his Vietnam veteran hat on. There are 2 things that go through my mind.

1. I thank them for their service.

2. That he is worthy of my respect. I hope that some young dumb a@# doesn’t make the mistake of thinking of him as an easy target. Whatever journey he has taken to get where he is, I know he is a dangerous man.

9 Likes