Exposed magazine

Simple question. If you carry concealed but your spare magazine is openly visible, do you still consider yourself to be carrying concealed?

4 Likes

I suppose the answer would be that I would not consider myself to be carrying concealed if I had an open carried magazine, although I have never done that.

But that depends somewhat on the definition of “carrying concealed”.

To really make this question simple, we must first define what carrying concealed means.

4 Likes

Really? I think the definition of concealed carry is pretty much known already. What do you think it means?

2 Likes

The definition of concealed carry means no one knows you are carrying. You can’t assume that just because a person has an exposed magazine that they have a firearm with them.

9 Likes

I think this question would have a legal answer and a personal answer.

I would not consider myself to be carry concealed if my spare mag was visible to others. Anyone seeing the magazine would likely assume I had a firearm that it would fit in.

But from a legal perspective I’m not sure what the answer would be. I haven’t personally seen language in the concealed carry laws I have reviewed saying a spare magazine must be concealed but such language may exist in some States?? Even if the language doesn’t exist I suspect you would draw unwanted attention from LEOs in places with strict anti self defense laws.

9 Likes

A magazine is not a firearm so I can’t see it being a problem to carry in the open. Most folks won’t even know what it is.

That being said, why would anyone carry a spare magazine in the open?

10 Likes

I think it means nobody can infer or guess that you are carrying.

That’s not everyone’s definition, some people use the legal definition of their state (particularly states where open carry is illegal). Some people use the “if you can’t see the gun itself directly” definition.

A lot of people settle for the equivalent of “only criminals, cops, and other carriers can tell” (because most people are oblivious and some people only worry about concealing from the mass public)

5 Likes

The question to be asked is “Does a LE officer who sees your unconcealed magazine considers that to be concealed or unconcealed.” For example:

1. You are carrying a handgun concealed, but your magazine is openly carried, and you do not have a CCW permission slip from your local sheriff. Could you argue that you were not carrying a concealed weapon because your magazine was openly carried. Probably a losing argument.

2. You are carrying a handgun concealed, but your magazine of openly carried, and you do have a CCW permission slip from your local sheriff. Could you get charged with something like brandishing or not carrying your firearm completely concealed? Probably not.

5 Likes

I like @Shamrock explanation.

Common sense would be to conceal firearm and all the components and accessories.

What the Law says? It’s about the interpretation, so why risk carrying magazine visible if that can be wrongly interpreted?

Illinois Concealed Carry Act doesn’t clearly explains this. The most important part says: loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.
Nothing about the magazine.

In the same Act the handgun is defined as: any device which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas, or escape of gas that is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
Nothing about the magazine.

But I think common sense is more important than written Law.
It is the same as open carry of AR15 in public space… you can do this… but why?

7 Likes

Unless you are from CA. I think if you had a screw for the grip of your firearm at home and it fell out of your pocket they would consider that a firearm. Hell they called lowers and bump stocks firearms and banned them.

9 Likes

All good answers. Let me explain why I asked the question. I was a volunteer auxiliary officer with my local sheriff’s office. We were authorized to carry concealed as long as we had a CCW and passed their qualification test. However we were not allowed to carry a spare magazine in sight as they told us it would imply we were carrying a firearm. I don’t have a dog in this fight, just interested in your opinions.

8 Likes

I mean…I don’t think there is any denying that openly carrying a firearm magazine very, very strongly implies that you are most likely carrying a firearm.

9 Likes

con·cealed
adjective
kept secret; hidden.

Now, does it apply to accessories?

Is this the question?

assume

Definitions from Oxford Languages
verb
suppose to be the case, without proof.

Does an exposed magazine absolutely mean a firearm is being carried?

Now ask an attorney or anti gunner and your common sense argument is void.

6 Likes

Utah Definition:

(3)
(a) Concealed firearm means a firearm that is:
(i) covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence; and
(ii) readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A firearm that is unloaded and securely encased is not a concealed firearm for the purposes of this part.
5 Likes

@Gary263 DEFINITELY “NO” to be carrying concealed with an openly visible spare (loaded) magazine :-1:. Open carry with open visible mag :+1:. Conceal carry with CONCEAL NON-VISIBLE mag :+1:. ZERO CARRYING OF ANY IN “Gun Free Zones”. Look at how Police officers in uniform CARRY!!! THEN look at OFF-DUTY LEOs in civilian clothing how they carry (IF YOU CAN SPOT ONE :smirk:) :laughing: Gotta be a good :dotted_line_face: grey man :wink: :laughing: when conceal carrying. If you don’t show your social security card to the public, flashing around you bank card, don’t flash your “dirty” MAGAZINE while conceal carrying in public. :see_no_evil: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :laughing:

4 Likes

“They” get to define concealed for you.

7 Likes

Its about the shape in some cases as an old Ipod. But personally would conceal everything :us:

7 Likes

I had a range officer, arrogant guy who thinks he can out shoot anybody, told me once he could tell I was carrying concealed.
He pointed to my right side, I lifted my shirt showing him my cell phone on my belt.

18 Likes

I always distance myself from know it alls :us:

10 Likes

Legally or just general perception? Not a lawyer, but as other has mentioned I don’t believe you can assume someone is concealing a weapon just because they’re open carrying a magazine. In general, I carry concealed because I don’t want people to know I’m carrying for multiple reasons. If I see someone open carrying a magazine, you better believe I assume that person is also carrying a weapon, whether I can see it or not.

6 Likes