What does CONCEALED actually mean?

I am in PA. I can’t find anything that actually explains what Concealed actually means. If I have a holster outside the waist but you can see the bump of the weapon does this count as concealed?

10 Likes

If all parts of a firearm are covered, it is concealed. If it is “printing “ through your clothes it is still concealed. Printing may or may not be an offense depending on your location.

In my state of Nevada, we have open carry, so if your concealed gun is printing, no one really cares much.

At least that’s my interpretation but I’m not a lawyer so take it at face value.

BTW welcome to our community

12 Likes

I have found that most states don’t explicitly define it in statute. And, come to think of it, it might be difficult to define. I also don’t think it should need defining because open and concealed carry should both be lethal without a permit, but, that’s a different story.

From a practical perspective, my opinion is that concealed means nobody has an articuable reason to suspect that it is there. The way I use the word concealed, visible or obvious “printing” is not, because observant people (such as criminals) can infer that it’s there.

If you are looking for the legal definition as you are carrying somewhere concealed is legal but not-concealed is illegal, my definition is worthless.

6 Likes

The watchword of the self defense community is “concealed means concealed.” That translates to, “no one can tell you are armed by looking at you.” There are two levels of concern in your question. First, can a passerby tell I am carrying if I am printing? Maybe, but if so, I have both lost the advantage of surprise, and also may tempt the passerby to either try to take my gun from me, or call the cops on me; both are bad situations. The second, if a cop sees me printing, can he charge me open carry? Well, maybe. It will depend on the locale (Philly or Pittsburgh worst case for you), any anti-gun pressure the cops have recently faced, and the individual cop’s mood at the moment.
Anecdotally, I have read of cops charging folks for not being concealed when they were printing, but I think it was in other states, not PA. None of my comments come from the law or known cases, just general background of reading in teh self defense community.

10 Likes

Good discussion question and welcome to the Community. I don’t know about the legality but I highly recommend one avoid printing.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community!!

3 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

@Phillip107 Welcome to the community! For concealment it’s best to carry IWB/AIWB. OWB always prints even if carrying as compact as possible. It just depends on how well you top dress to cover OWB concealment to minimize printing (bump) as long as your FIREARM (weapon??) IS NOT VISUAL openly. :thinking: Be The Gray Man :dotted_line_face: :point_up: :+1:

2 Likes

In Utah Law:
from Utah Code Section 76-10-501

“(3) (a) “Concealed firearm” means a firearm that is:
(i) covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware
of its presence; and
(ii) readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A firearm that is unloaded and securely encased is not a concealed firearm for the purposes of this part.”

Pretty ambiguous really, “public would not be aware” paints with a pretty broad brush.

4 Likes

That’s the common sense answer IMHO.
When I carry and leave the house, I expect to go home at the end of the day and no one’s any wiser.

8 Likes

Depends on the State. In NC since they allowed open carry concealed just means with a cover garment over it, printing be dammed. Now out west, no one cares…

When I lived in Connecticut local law enforcement would harass you if they noticed even the slightest bump on your shirt. Guess which state I’ll never go back to ever again…

10 Likes

In Utah we see open carry guys around here from time to time, maybe a handle when someone reached for something or bends over. But like you said, nobody really cares much about it.

6 Likes

Most people, and by that I mean basically all, will never notice that you are carrying. I teach CC classes and about 5 hours into a class I’ll ask, “ How many people here know I’m concealing a handgun right now?”.

That’s when the whole class will look at my waist to scan it. Most of the class will raise their hands.

Then I’ll ask, “Now honesty time, lower your hand if either you assume I’m carrying because I’m the instructor or are just guessing?”

Most will lower their hands. Then I ask, how many of the ones left are 100% I’m carrying a gun and would be willing to truly bet your life on it? And usually all lower their hand.

My point is that after watching me walking around with just a light pull over, pretty fitted shirt over a full sized Glock 17, which I carry in class to make a point that it’s NOT too hard to conceal even the largest guns, for HOURS none of them noticed or even cared.

10 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate the help

4 Likes

Not true. I carry that way, and even my wife cannot tell, and I often carry a full-size .45.

Same holds true for AIWB/IWB.

7 Likes

I’ve never carried OWB but if I did concealment wouldn’t be my main concern. I suspect an OWB full frame would/could occasionally be seen, at least parts of it. I would be more concerned about someone trying to grab it or even worse some ignorant snowflake screaming “HE’S GOT A GUN!!”.

7 Likes

I carry my M&P shield all the time OWB with an Urban Carry pancake type holster. It’s a slim pistol, and the holster holds it in so tight, that a nice loose, untucked shirt makes it impossible to tell. The only time I feel like a real printing issue may come up is if a stiff wind pushes my shirt tight to my body and the profile shows.

8 Likes

Do you worry about exposing you EDC when you squat down or reach up to get something?

4 Likes

Wearing something like this fixes the issue for me.

8 Likes

Plaid is the new camo :+1:

7 Likes